“Lovely view shame about the hill” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Liberatos Village

Liberatos Village
Ranked #86 of 142 Hotels in Cephalonia
suffolk
“Lovely view shame about the hill”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2009

We have just returned from Liberatos Village, first thoughts were spacious apartment and lovely pool, views to die for, plenty of sun beds and very quiet and relaxing, untill you went down the hill. This is very steep and the taxi was a godsend if a bit overpriced! Only down side was the cleaning and changing of linen, I had to request change of linen twice in two weeks, they were very slow to clean and I think if I didn't request this on the day after they should have done it, it would not have been done at all. George is tight and seem to want his staff to keep the gardens and pool area serviced at the cost of the guests rooms. Be wary of him! The prices in the shop were very high compared to the town, but that is to be expeted at on site stores, especially when they are as remote from the town as this place. Beware the hill one lady staying at the same time as us slipped on the steep hill down and broke her leg. Go to Mystic Gusto, the greek music is good but the english trio on Saturday night is dire!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Greek first
NEWCASTLE
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2008

Just returned from a weeks hoilday after staying in the liberatos village. There was 8 of us in our group all ready for a week of soaking up the sun by day and then the food, drink and atmospherer at night. .On first impression we were happy with our choice large clean apartments all with sea views and spread about in beautiful well cared for gardends .The pool area was lovely with always enough sun loungers to go around (but not umbrellas) the pool side food was also very good and ok priced that could'nt be said for the shop on site very over priced but just shop else where.
same said about the air conditioning too expensive (50 euro).
YES the complex was up a steep hill ok to walk DOWN but well worth paying the 5 euro taxi ride UP it, , Shame the owner did'nt provide a shuttle bus UP and DOWN, as by half way through your holiday the getting UP and DOWN the hill becomes annoying so you tend to stay for lunch by the pool when you dont really want too ,as you know you will have the trek to do again later that night. . So you get a kind of feeling your trapped on the complex at times (more about being trapped later in this review)

Once you've got DOWN the hill the beaches(long beach with excellent food at the greek kitchen ) bars (so simple- nice cocktails free shots) restaraunts (ionian,sirtaki;butlers) are all excellent. well our favorites anyway.
Then it happened 5 days into our holiday we heard kosmar had gone bust we laughed at first and shouted we are trapped in kefalonia how lovely and all went off to the beach for the day .On returning to the complex we were asked for 4 of our passports, to sort new flights out so we handed them to the barman. and went DOWN into lassi for the evening.
The next morning our lads went DOWN to watch the footy and the girls lay by the pool then things became uncomfitable other guests were requesting there passports back and being refused
them until they paid for there holiday again .The owner was shouting every one was getting upset , no one knew when there flights were goinging to be announced but half the people had no passport to travel even if the flights were announced WE WERE TRAPPED . The police were called along with a thomas cook rep to try and sort it.
THE FOLLOWING MORNING we were allowed our passport back if you left the complex. We did this even though still unaware of our flight details home ,
Another hotel LASSI took us in.
they too had had the sad news and problems of a company going bust but they handled the problem in a professional way and put the traveler first.
I would return to the resort of lassi and happily stay at the hotel
LASSI in the future.

• Liked — the look of the complex from outside
  • Disliked — the service
1 Thank redshortrage

Travelers are raving about these Cephalonia hotels

yorkshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2008

We were having a great time at Lassi, it is really a beautiful island, all the restaurants are really nice especially the Panorama and the Phaedra. I would definitely recommend eating at these, the food is exceptional and the staff are really friendly and cannot do enough for the customers.
The Liberatos Village is adequate accommodation it has exceptional views and beautiful sunsets, since I have stayed at many Greek resorts I was amazed that we had hot water for the whole of our 2 week stay except for 1 night, the linen was changed twice in the 2 weeks. We did have an extra pillows but one had blood stains on which we did not use, we had to wade through water after every shower there was loads of ants/wasps, wires with tape on but none of this bothered us because we were in Greece and as far as we are concerned it is just somewhere to sleep. The shop prices in the Liberatos Village were extortionate and how the owner can justify his prices I do not know (it is all down to greed).
The dreaded hill, although we can understand that it maybe difficult and off putting for some people we actually enjoyed the walk up and down especially after having one of the gorgeous meals in Lassi. We even pushed our push bikes up this hill because the bike owners shop was not open (it was there siesta time).
There is a lovely coastal walk to Agostoli which takes about 2 hours or the shorter route takes about 30mins. In Agostoli there is a ferry you can get to Lixouri really nice place and costs only 2.20 euros (20 minutes trip) It is worth the 2.20 just to watch them get all the cars/lorries/buses on the ferry. We did all the tours except for Sami by night and they were all nice trips.
When the news started to filter through regarding XL airways we were on a boat trip and we were not duly concerned because we knew that alternative travel would be found eventually to get us back home even if it meant that we had to stay longer (after all it was a lovely place and lovely weather). On returning to our apartment we were asked if we had heard the news by a member of staff and they asked for the passport of the person who had booked the holiday, so that they could arrange alternative travel arrangements for us, we were told not to worry and just enjoy the rest of our holiday as they would sort everything out for us – (Very Sly). Our Kosmar rep had been sacked so we didn’t suspect anything suspicious in this action – (How wrong we where).
The following day we asked for our passport back but where told that they had not finished with them, we said that we would collect them at 5pm that day. On returning back in the afternoon we sat around the pool which had an eerie and uninviting atmosphere, various holiday makers were asking for their passports back but it was becoming increasingly obvious that the owner was not parting with them and they were being asked to pay again for their holiday, it was all becoming very heated. At this point I was getting a bit concerned and decided to go down to the office which use to be the Kosmar office, when we got there we had information that our flight had been re-arranged and that we were going to be flying on our scheduled day. It was now about 5.30pm and we were flying at 5.00pm the following day so I went armed with my letter saying that I was flying and went to approached the owner for my passport, I showed him my letter and told him that they no longer had to arrange my flight because it was already sorted and all I needed was my passport, the owner tried to tell me the letter I had was not official and that they were just trying to make money (not sure what he was getting at) I told him the letter was from Thomas Cook who where arranging the flights, I again asked for my passport and he said that I could have my passport if I paid 50 euros per night (14 nights) I was lucky someone else had been quoted 150 euros per night. I told the owner that I had already paid and I was not staying any longer than I had originally booked for but he was adamant that I was not getting my passport until I paid for the whole of my stay again. Thomas Cook became involved to a certain extent and where fantastic, as you can see from a previous report the Police were called and it was agreed that we could have passports the following morning if we where leaving and we would not have to pay again for our holiday. That last night was awful we left our room to go for something to eat in Lassi but were on tenterhooks all night because I no longer trusted the owner and we went back early because of this, the hotel bar was deserted except for the owner and their was a deadly silence all around there was even no-one on their balconies it was just like a ghost town with a horrible blanket atmosphere over it.
We did get our passport back the following morning but only after the room had been checked which I made sure I accompanied the cleaner because I no longer had any trust in them (I got the impression that they were trying everything possible to get money out of us).
Whilst the guests were looking at the Kosmar board which the Thomas Cook rep had updated with pickups and flight times the owner arranged for the board to be taken down and thrown away (this all happened whilst someone was looking at it). How petty and insensitive this was especially as some of the Guests were really worried and distressed about getting back home – All this owner did was to add to his guests distress instead of being more companionate under the circumstances.
I asked if we could leave our cases until we were picked up at 1.30pm but the owner said that it would be at our responsibility and that they could not be responsible for anything happening to them (which is understandable) I wont go into the whole conversation but from my conversation with him about this and the issues which had gone on previously we felt it was not safe to leave the cases so most of the guests just took them around Lassi with them for the whole day (some not flying until midnight).
A couple arrived in a taxi for their holiday and they were also abruptly turned away – not sure where they ended up at.
We are use to things going wrong when we go on holiday and just take it in our stride but this was the worst and most frightening experience I have ever encountered it was like trying to escape from Colditz and I hope we or anyone else never go through this experience again. I was one of the lucky ones to escape but I feel really sorry for the Brits we had to leave behind and I just hope they managed to get out and get alternative accommodation for the rest of their stay in Kefalonia.
If you are thinking of staying at these apartments then I would strongly think again – be it at your own peril, you have been warned. It is not because of the accommodation it is basically because of the attitude of the owners and staff, they have no respect for their customers and the only concern they have is trying to make money at every opportunity and at whatever consequences. Unfortunately I used to really love the Greek Islands and always spoke very highly of them but this incident has really changed my view, I know the XL and Kosmar incident was unusual and I was not concerned about it really what I am concerned about is what happened after this and how the Greeks treated the holiday makers, it was not an isolated incident regarding holiday makers paying extra money, we spoke to several Brits from various accommodations and they had been asked and paid extra although the passport incident only relates to Liberatos Village. If you do foolishly decide to stay here then make sure that you take plenty of cash/credit card because you are certainly going to need it.
Don’t mistake this accommodation with the Liberatos Resort the Liberatos Village is on the same hill as the Olive Gardens and Nikos Studios.

• Liked — Views, pool
  • Disliked — staff attitude, expensive facilities
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank holmadYorkshire
Newcastle
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2008

The facilities were adequate and the scenery was great and initially we were happy with our choice. However, things turned for the worse when the travel company went bust and the owners of the Liberatos confiscated our passports on some flaky pretext. They consistently refused to give them back until we paid them for the holiday that we had already paid for. There was a very sinister feel about the place after this until the police were called, by us, to resolve it. Our last night was spent in the apartment as we felt it unsafe to leave any of our possessions. Even when it became apparent that our stay might have to be extended due to the necessity of hasty re-arranged travel times, we were booted out. We only secured our passports after packing our suitcases and having our rooms checked for any damage. I would encourage anyone thinking of going to Lassi to go, but I would strongly recommend anyone seeking to stay at the Liberatos to go elsewhere. The laws of this review site do not permit me to expand any further. You have been warned! Lassi, itself is a tremedous holiday destination with excellent food and friendly residents, especially The Lassi Hotel, who took us in off the streets and treated us with the dignity, friendliness and respect that a holidaymaker would expect.

• Liked — The scenery and well maintained pool area.
  • Disliked — The people who ran the place
Newcastle upon Tyne
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2008

We are a group of 8 (4 couples) We arrived at the Liberatos Village and were impressed by the spacious and private lay-out of the complex, and the acceptable cleanliness of the rooms. The pool was nice and the pool bar was fine, but that hill was a killer - even for the fittest of people. We were asked to join the weekly BBQ but declined as we know what to expect from these type of "events." Lassi is much more appealing with its chilled out bars and restaurants. The bars in Argostoli are much more cosmopolitan and classy if a little more expensive and the taxi was only 6 euro's.
We were having an enjoyable time until XL airways and Kosmar went bust, suddenly the Management of the Liberatos changed their attitude towards their guests. The owner asked for everyones passport to "help change their flight details". We gave them our passports in good faith but the next day when we asked for them back they refused until we paid, in cash, well above the full cost of our holiday. This was all Kosmar and XL guests, not just our group of 8.
The whole situation became very heated. The owner threatened to throw everyone out (laughably, he threw the Kosmar notice board in the bin !) and the local Police became involved. However, the police were thankfully sensible and took the side of the guests, but the owner still refused to hand back the passports until it was time for each guest to leave. We managed to get alternative accommodation before our flight home, but I'm not sure if other guests have been quite so lucky.
Previous reviews of this accomodation touch on the attitude of the management - all I can say is we experienced a very traumatic situation and I would recommend that travellers do not touch this hotel with a barge pole, solely due to the people running it.
But do travel to Kefalonia, Lassi and Argostoli because its a beautiful place with friendly people.

• Liked — Spacious, nice pool area
  • Disliked — Staff and service appalling
West Midlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2008

After an exhausting few weeks Lassi was perfect for my husband and me.The views were stunning and there were just enough bars and restaurants to give a variety of eating places. We would avoid Bobbys again. It was chips with everything, cramped seating and TVs everywhere. After a lovely Greek breakfast at China House we went back for dinner and were not disappointed. Try the meze, the dolmades were as good as promised.
We were not happy with Liberatos. We expected the hill and it was a pleasant stroll down. if it was too hot we just took a taxi back. We've been to Greece many times so we expect low cost self catering accomodation to be basic. We got used to wading through water in the shower room because the drainage was non existant. The fridge was just cold enough to chill the beer although it seemed to be in a constant state of defrost. We even laughed at boiling the kettle on the floor because there was no spare socket in the kitchen.
Our biggest problem was blatent profiteering by the management. 50 euros for a weeks air conditioning (We just opened the windows the breeze was cooling) Everything was 2 or 3 times more than in town. It was cheaper to shop in town and taxi both ways. Despite our irritation at the rip off we had a relaxing time.
We spent most mornings on the beach where the anti social practice of towels on sunbeds isn't an issue.

• Liked — The views
  • Disliked — Profiteering
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
kent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2008

Well, we have just returned from a two week stay at the Liberatos and, after reading the two latest reviews, I am beginning to think we must have imagined our stay there!

We had read all the negative reviews before we went so were more than a bit worried, but we had a completely positive experience. Our apartment was absolutely spotless. The two children had a bedroom to share whilst my husband and I slept on the beds in the living room. Everything we needed was there and anything extra we needed was given to us with absolutely no problem at all. The bins were emptied daily and the whole apartment was cleaned twice a week. The views from the apartment were beautiful and it felt very secluded and peaceful.

The pool area was lovely, though you did have to get there early for a sunbed, but is this not the case wherever you go? The only negative bit was the very very steep hill that it is at the top of, but hey ho, we just made good use of the taxi drivers at the bottom! Overall, based on what we experienced, we would not hesitate to recommend this place to anyone and would certainly go back again next year.

• Liked — very peaceful
  • Disliked — steep hill
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family