“All the amenities but a little uninspiring”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Lucy Hotel

Lucy Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Khalkis
Cumbria
“All the amenities but a little uninspiring”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

Like so many 'top of the range' town hotels the Lucy is very well run, has pleasant helpful staff, is clean and comfortable - but heck it is also impersonal and uninspiring!
You can sit on you balcony and watch the fantastic tide-race and you can go and eat in any number of interesting taverna - I would recommend the Lukas - just across the old river bridge and only a three minute walk from the hotel.
There is parking available - but €13 per night it is worth scrabbling for a place on the street!
Breakfast is better than some, and I did try a full breakfast as i knew I would not be having any lunch on both days. If you can just eat the yoghurt and honey - best sort of GBreek breakfast that there is!
In summary - if you are a little challenged linguistically, and do not want to risk comfort for character, then the Lucy is for you!
If you want a comfort

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Athens, Greece
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

I stayed there with my 10-month-old boy for a night.The room was clean,and the view was amazing but hotel of that class need to be more baby-friendly.We requested a travel cot in the room which was playced 2 hours after our arrival there.It was really old and filthy and they had placed a blanket under the sheet because there was no extra matress. The breakfast was ok,they also brough us a highchair for the baby although it was when we had already finished breakfast.It's a very nice hotel but when you travel with babies reviews are more complicated.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

i stayed only for a weekend but i would go back definitely. The hotel is in the centre of Chalkida with a perfect view to the canal..the room was very clean...staff was friendly...the city is wonderful and you have many options for having a dinner a coffee or a drink right next to the hotel! if you ask there are wonderful options for beaches around. Nice price also!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Poly V
Khalkis, Greece
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

I stayed a week at Lucy Hotel last April for business. The view to "crazy waters" and the old bridge of Chalkida was so magnificent. Chalkida is so beautiful and so interesting, and the view from my room was fantastic ( my room it was on 3d floor and it was large and clean but with strong mattress). Wifi worked perfectly anywhere in the hotel and it was free of charge. The staff was very kind and helpful. The restaurant very nice decorated and the staff cooked with pleasure for me a special plate every day (because I had a specific diet). I recommend that hotel without prejudice!!!

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noice from the street.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Thessaloniki, Greece
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2012

We stayed one night at Lucy hotel as part of some days vacation to central and south Greece.Of course the location is perfect.The view from your balcony is amazing,the well known tide of Eyripos straid, lies in front of you.Rooms are very clean,ranovated and pleasant but have two disadvantages.Matresses are very hard and the noise from outside is pretty much.If you consider that with 67 euros you can enjoy a pleasant room,an adequate breakfast at the reustarant watching the tide and an underground,guarded parking,i think is more than you expect.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank nyds
Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2012

I spent a night there in March. Nice view on the shore.
My room was clean and fresh. Wifi worked perfectly and was free of charge. The staff was nice and tried to make their best to make me feel like home.
Insulation is not that good since I could ear someone of another level moving his chair just like if he was in my room. Same thing with his alarm clock.
In the room, the fridge was too noisy, just like the clock on the wall (tik-tok'in all night long).
The bed was much too hard, I even checked if there was a mattress or just a plank.
The service at the restaurant was not that good (ok they make their best but bring dessert while still eating the entree...). Food neither, took a sirloin at 18euro which was over-cooked. They didn't ask me how I wanted it to be baked. Fries and vegetable cooked in olive oil and this was much too present in the plate (too fat).
I would suggest to eat at the restaurant next to the hotel (on the right when you leave the hotel).
When they cleaned my room, they didn't bring some extra-shampoo and the one I used was still in the shower (empty).
Breakfast was nice and various.
Since it's the only "good" hotel in the area, I would go back there if needed.
I didn't test the pool.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank loulou_be
GREECE&CYPRUS
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,919 helpful votes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2012

We spent 2 wonderful nights at the Historical Lucy Hotel of Chalkida. I find its location the best, so close to the amazing waterfront and the old bridge of Chalkida. Even though it opened in 1955, the owner paid attention not only to its solid construction back then but also decided to inaugurate a new era for the city and the Hotel was a meeting place for the “high” society of those days. With the last renovation of 2009 Lucy (taken the name from the owner’s daughter) has a new look. It probably remained the same on the outside but you can feel the difference the moment you get inside. Upon entering the mascot of the hotel –an hyena, welcomes every guest and it is safely kept in a glass box. It was carried from Africa from the owner Mr. Plataniotis and it is here since the day the hotel opened.

The premises are ideal for business conferences, lunch or dinner gatherings. In the past I came here several times on business meetings, lunch but mostly dinner parties but never before had I the chance to stay at the hotel. To be honest I was a bit concerned when I read some reviews mentioning that they were disturbed from the street noise but I can assure you that there was not such problem. Our room was on the 3rd floor (Room #310) overlooking the waterfront.

Reception: Two of the staff at the reception that I had the chance to get to know more than the others was Thanasi and Popi. I found them competent and very helpful. The reception staff can speak the English language fluently as well.

Our room was not huge but it was comfortable with a door separating the hall and the bathroom, something that I always appreciate and the sound-proofing I think it was fine. One of the walls was navy blue and the silver frame with some lilies created a nice contrast. On the opposite wall there was a round clock on the wall which proved helpful. There was a large closet with many drawers on the side, a safe box, shoe polish facilities, a mini bar and the TV set included both cable and satellite channels. The toiletries included an Ocean Galet de Savon soap, and Revitalized Shampoo and Shower gel and Body cream. The hairdryer however was the one we usually find stuck on the wall in the bathrooms (not very strong) but in all, the room had all the comforts of a 4* hotel without the frills: I believe the ones who need more than this they can simply look for a 5* hotel but they cannot find a better hotel than this in this city.

I found breakfast adequate, and it was amazing how we could enjoy our breakfast overlooking the boats and the awesome view from the huge crystal windows which were double glazed leaving all the noise outside! The lounge is nicely decorated and there is a bar between the lounge and breakfast room.

All rooms have balconies, but the best are those overlooking the waterfront. The tide at the Euripus strait changes every 6 hours and it is a rare phenomenon worth watching.
On both sides of the hotel there is a multitude of restaurants serving Sea food, Pizzas, Kebab or Traditional Greek cuisine for all tastes and all pockets. Don’t miss the Xenia Bar Restaurant which is very popular in Chalkida. It is on the hill of Karababa very close to the Castle and it can easily be seen from the hotel. I spotted it from our room and we decided to have our lunch out there enjoying a huge “pikilia” a variety of bonne bouche and some fine quality wine. We have been here several times in the past. The view is breathtaking, and the staff professionals. Athenians travel all the way during the weekend to enjoy a cup of coffee or dine here and enjoy the breathtaking views of the city of Chalkida.
Of course those who don’t wish to eat out there is a leaflet with the daily menu to choose from in each room, but I believe the restaurant is mostly used when there are conference meetings or wedding parties and from what I remember there is always a rich buffet.

Car Parking:The hotel charges a 13 euro fee for the car park, which I don’t think it is too much since I have gone to hotels charging 38 euro a night in Athens. However, we were lucky this time to park the car in a safe neighbourhood very close to the hotel (Ayias Varvaras Square) on both nights. In the morning it is a very busy square and you can hardly find a parking space however in the evening it is very easy to park in the round area.

There is a Spa-type of service for those who wish to relax and enjoy some relaxing massage or therapy, -the grape and chocolate therapies are popular here, but I did not feel like having a massage this time. Chalkida is so beautiful and so interesting, and the view from our room was magic. What more would one want? Depending on the time, and weather conditions the scene changes and we were lucky to have both sunshine, cloudy weather and rain the last day we left.
The seafront still had the Christmas street decorations and the fact that we could walk on the side road in front of the hotel was great, contrary to some reviews which found this negative!!
The pedestrian road adds to the beauty and it is surely not negative as some might say.

I don’t believe you will find a more beautiful hotel than this in Chalkida. It is a hotel that I can highly recommend and would love to return in the summer.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank greekcypriot2009
Also consider these accommodations in or near Khalkis
Paliria Hotel
#5 of 6 in Khalkis
Avantis Suites Hotel
Avantis Suites Hotel
#2 of 12 in Eretria

Been to Lucy Hotel? Share your experiences!