“Perfect spot” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Astra Apartments

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Parga
Astra Apartments
Ranked #66 of 114 Specialty Lodging in Parga
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Perfect spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

The Astra is 2 minutes walk from the main parts of the town. The rooms are basic, but very clean. Everything you need and nothing you don't need. I stayed in room 5 which had a little balcony above the street perfect for watching the world go by.

Room Tip: Room 5 is the one on the photos
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank andyrovers

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Parga, Greece
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

Stayed in room 4 17th June for a week. Picked the Astra purely on location.

Good:-
Location obviously - in the centre of Parga, 2 minutes from everything.
Left to your own devices no hassle from rep or owners but they live upstairs if you need them.
Nice big balconies, comfy chairs, comfy beds.
Free safety deposit box, AC 35 euros which is average.
Didn't use much of the SC facilities but had an ice compartment and ice cube tray and a corkscrew!!! (wish I had known as I took my own ice cube tray and corkscrew).
They provide a hairdryer (again wish I'd have known save me taking mine)

Not so good:-
As per the previous review the bathroom drain was a bit smelly but I just kept the door shut at night and the window wide open.
Basic Greek bathroom. What was expected but some apartments now do have a hook you can put the shower on rather than hand held.
Fridge was ok but would be condemned in the UK as would the sandwich toaster which I never used.
Very noisy due to central location, talking to the couple on the next balcony we had to keep stopping every time a moped or van went past (every 30 seconds) due to the level of noise.

Overall - great for walking into town, comfy average basic studio, would stay again but if I went back with my boyfriend I'd look at somewhere a bit more upmarket.

Tip - walk up the hill into town and past the Olive Oil Factory not the main road, much nicer.

Room Tip: Room 4 has the best balcony in my opinion overlooking the green trees at the back of the property.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Nanoushka
Douglas, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2012

For my second stay at The Astra, I requested studio number 4, as it had been recommended to me as the quietest studio.
Unfortunately, this was not the case. There was a bit more privacy than number one, where I had stayed on a previous visit however.
The only problem I experienced was a strong smell of damp eminating from the shower/toilet. Especially after the toilet had been used.
Initially this wasn`t a problem as I was staying with a girlfriend in The Gogozotas Residence nearby. However near the end of the week, when I was there all the time, it was very noticable. To be fair, when I reported it to the Thomas Cook rep, the owner immediately came round & cleaned out the drains. The smell did not go away entirely though, & I could still detect it after flushing the loo.
The Astra is still a great , centrally located place to stay in & I will still recommend it. But, now I know which studio IS the quietest, I`m keeping it to myself!

Room Tip: No, because I may miss out on it next time I book!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Brett M
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2011

Just returned from an October holiday to Parga and stayed in Astra with my boyfriend. Astra is 3 mins from the sea front, 10 from the castle and 15 from Voltos. It consists of 5 appartments which are on the ground floor other than 4 steps from the road.

CLEANLINESS
What struck me first was the cleanliness of the place, another couple we met had been going for years and said the same cleaner has been cleaning for 15 years and has always been brilliant and thorough. She comes around 11 everyday, cleans, replaces towels and bedding and left the place spotless.

KITCHEN
The kitchen was basic, 2 hobs and a grill. However it had every utensil and pan I needed to make some good meals. The grill was great for making toast (I preferred it to a toaster) and grill vegetables on.

BEDROOM
There is no sitting space other than the bed, but it was very comfy. Amazing amount of storage, plenty of hangers and endless drawer space.
The bed was 2 single beds pushed together. As it was October it was chilly at night and the 2 blankets some times weren't enough. It had a sheet on so for summer months it would still be warm.

BALCONY
A lovely balcony- but I think ours was the best, it was at the back over looking olive and lime trees and you could see the road (but it wasn't noisy) and Green's Bakery (more later) from it.
The balcony had 2 very comfy chairs, a table, ash try and drying rail. Our rail only had 2 pegs (the other balcony had about 20) so do bring pegs.

BATHROOM
Again, nice and clean. Big downside is the shower- it is really just a drainage area with a shower attachment, but no holder for it. This leads to lots of undignified squatting and a wet bathroom. You get used to it though.

LOCATION
Outstanding!! As I said close to sea, castle and Voltos. The road was close but no bother at all.
We found the beach immediately with no problems. The wonderful Green's Bakery is a stones throw away which has break, pies, pastry and sweets and was a real highlight.
Shops are close, a mini market and super market 2-5 mins away. There are bars close too, but the best are on the sea from.

OVERALL
All in all I would very much recommend Astra if you want somewhere basic but well set up for holiday makers. It's not luxury, but when you have the beauty of Parga 5mins away you needn't spend much time in it.

• Stayed October 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank jen36s
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2010

Me and my fiance booked at the Astra as the location was so good. Valtos beach, the town and harbour are all a short walking distance. We stayed in the room where the balcony over looks the road / passage which leads down to the Green bakery. It was very good for people watching, and we enjoyed having drinks out there while listening to the hustle and bustle of the town. The balcony isn't very private - you are about head height to people walking to and from the beach. Also be cautious about hanging your beach towels from the balcony - one of our towels went missing over night. The noise from outside wasn't a problem when the window/door to the balcony was closed, and never had any problem sleeping. The room itself was a lot smaller than I anticipated. The wardrobe didn't have doors on as it was so close to the bed, and we didn't have as much storage as we would have liked. The kitchen wasn't well stocked but as we eat out every night we didn't need to use it anyway. There were also a couple of very old and questionable looking appliances that I wouldn't of fancied my chances using! Overall the Astra was fine, and the location was great, but for the money I spent I was dissapointed with how small and basic it was.

On another note - I have to reccommend the restuarant Sakis. Great food, generous servings, fantastic staff and really good value for money.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Ms_Ditsy
uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2010

We Stayed at the Astra apartments for a week in September wanted a basic clean base and that is exactly what we got. Beds were very comfortable and we had no problem with traffic noise (I did take ear plugs as it had been mentioned that the scooters zoom around the back streets but didnt need them) The bathroom was typically greek, shower tray hand held shower and no curtain , however very clean and the water on the floor drained away very quickly. we had no outside light on the balcony and a small problem with the shower but these were quickly rectified when we told our rep.
The balcony was small and the view was of the yellow house reception but it was fine to sit on for breakfast and a drink in the evening. Enough hanging space and draws provided. Kitchen area very basic although had a full size fridge with freezer box. dont forget to take a bottle opener/cork screw as non provided. Wouldnt wanted to have cooked in here but again not a problem for us.
Hairdrier in bedroom not very powerful and kept over heating but my hair does take a while to dry. Apartment was cleaned 6 out of 7 days.
No pool but we prefer the beach, had intended to use one of the pool bars but never needed to
GREAT Location across the road from the green bakery which is lovely any time of the day. mini supermarkets also very near by. Nice walk to Valtos beach and in easy reach of the town beach. As mentioned in the forums loads of good places to eat. We did not find it expensive and in fact had some excellent meals for not much more than 20 euros for 2 which included a litre of wine (Sakis was a particular favourite,Fillomina a bit further along was also very good wasnt to keen on Baccos on the front though )
Went on a couple of boat trips, walked to Lichnos beach and got the boat back. Had many evening drinks at the castle cafe, beautiful views worth going in the day time as well.also worth exploring the ruins of the castle. Went to Ali pashas castle on the train
I have seen posts about types of shoes to wear around parga. It is hilly and it had been raining before we arrived I have never seen so many people with bandaged arms and wrists obviously where they had fallen over. Do take care and wear flatish shoes with some grip especially around the older areas near the castle and going down
to valtos beach.

All in all a great holiday we would go back and we would stay at the Astra again although its always nice to try somewhere different. (have booked Lesbos for next year).

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank elizabeth
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2010

We stopped in the Astra apartments this July for two weeks and found them to be very clean and have all the things you need for a self catering holiday, the owner is very friendly (just pop up the stairs to he overhead apartment (which is fantastic) and he is very helpful (He even gave us a free bottle of wine which was nice).
The apartments are located only a ten minute walk from both Voltos beach and the Harbour Front (either side) and also across the road from the Green Bakery (for the best bread in Parga) and only about 60 yards from Johnny's Bar and his 2 bloody 'cheap as chips' euro beer (he also has Magners). for a great meal just simply go up the slope from the apartments and keep going straight on for about 5 minutes until you see the fantastic Maestros Restaurant which when we came to Parga 2 years ago was not built. We must have gone their at least 5 times during the fortnight it was that good, and the view is fantastic.
if this is your first time to Parga preper to be hooked, as I said we went 2 years ago for 2 weeks and have been dying to get back since and was not disapointed, I thought it could not get any better but is was. Parga has everything; the beautiful cobbled streets, huge harbour two fantastic beaches and a lovely castle overlooking the harbour which like the rest of Parga is lit up at night providing breathtaking scenery. The whole place is visually stunning and 'at the risk of sounding cheesy' incredibly romantic. Me and my wife are in our early thirties and have completely fell in love with the place, Its one of them places where when you get back you spend the next twelve months pineing to return.
We also went on a couple of trips this year to the Asheron river (River Styx), Zelonga, and the Gorge (go their its amazing). Parga really is a hidden gem so get yourself their and don't look back!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple