“Boat trip to Symi”
Review of Symi

Sponsored by:
Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Sponsored by:
Glasgow, United Kingdom
42 helpful votes
“Boat trip to Symi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2011

We took a boat trip from Mandraki Harbour, Rhodos to Symi it was a lovely cruise and arriving at Symi was breathtaking. We had a guided tour and then had some free time before boarding the boat It is very picturesque and my camera was working overtime. It is quite and peaceful and the local shopkeepers are so friendly and don't force there goods on you. A cold beer and lunch looking out onto the harbour was idyllic. We are going back to Rhodes in Sept and Symi is high on my to do list.

1 Thank Karen J
Billingshurst, United Kingdom
36 helpful votes
“Old fashioned charm”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2010

Just over an hour from SW Turkey is the little island of Symi, a charming harbour surrounded by what seems like a pastel coloured film set, but is in reality the actual main town of the island.
The official red tape was over in minutes and we were free to wander the alleyways. Siesta - a fact of life in most Greek islands - seemed almost non existent as all shop keepers wanted to make the most of the flux of people walking off ferries. Living close to Kos I am used to the tackiness and commercial attitudes of a real up close and personal aggressive style, which was completely lacking in Symi.
Twenty four hours was just not enough, I shall return ere long.

Rochdale, United Kingdom
1 helpful vote
“euro exchage”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2010

we have just returned from symi one of the greece islands it was a beautiful place but the exchage rate was charged at the local rate they only gave 86 cents to the english pound luckly we took our credit card and used the ATM to get money i would advise any body going there to take euros with them and not travellers cheques on the whole it was a lovely relaxing holiday perfect for chilling

London
8 helpful votes
“Beautiful Symi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2010

Recently while on holiday in Rhodes we took the catamaran over to Symi (50 minutes) which was well worth the trouble. the harbour is beautiful, looks like the backdrop for a film, and the little restaurants serve excellent food. The monastery on the island is worth a visit too if you can cope with steps.

2 Thank Parthenope
Lancs
19 helpful votes
“Symi”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2010

We have recently returned from Symi. I was looking forward to this holiday having visited many of the Greek islands but I have to say was very disappointed with Symi.
We stayed at the Anastasia apartments which were in Chorio, they were clean and well kept, if not out of the way.
Our rep informed us that he had never had a bad meal on this island, well clearly he does nt eat out as you could count on one hand the good meals that we had there and we were there for 2 weeks! The only good place to eat that stands out is the Manolis International restaurant, the rest are extremely poor and in fact my partner did get food poisoning whilst there.
Water taxis are a complete rip off, beaches ok, nothing to write home about and everywhere is incredibly expensive, but if your idea of a good holiday is doing absolutely nothing on a "beach" not giving a care where you, love walking and money is no object then this is the place for you. Also, I must mention the huge ex[pat community out here with the majority of them having a bad attitude towards visitors. They seem to think its "their island". You should remeber who is paying your wages.
I cannot for the life of me understand why people return to this island year after year they clearly have never visited anywhere else in Greece. Symi is a complete disappointment. Personally the best thing here is the Posidon boat out of here to Turkey.

1 Thank northernblue1

Been to Symi? Share your experiences!