“Great stay”

Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Symi
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Great stay”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

There's nothing really wrong with this hotel. Do not expect to see any modern new-ish furniture or matched sets of plates, or a bathroom that might be up to standards higher than "basic".
This didn't really matter for me though, because what you can expect is: cleanliness and a warm welcome from the staff. As was mentioned in other reviews, Frank will pick you up from the ferry (do call beforehand with your arrival time) and drive you through the excitingly snaking streets up to the village that leans against the slopes above the harbor.

Breakfast, though not skimpy, is simple. If I can mention a single letdown it was the lack of a freshly made pot of coffee (you're served sachets of instant-coffe instead), and the juice was some concentrated drink from the supermarket. If Taxiarchis addresses these two little details, it would be absolutely perfect (for me).

Other than that as I mentioned, the staff went out of their way to make sure I had a comfortable stay. I was even surprised by the occasional steaming plate of home-cooked food waiting for me in my room after coming back from another day of beaching on beautiful Symi. What else can you really ask for?

Simple, decent, clean, honest and totally the Greek way. This hotel is for you if you like an easy-going place (Roula, Frank & family are lovely people) and if you don't worry too much about having luxuries. It's for those who don't fret about stumbling their way back late at night, trying to find Taxiarchis somewhere in the labyrinth that is Chorio. Excellent place!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank Bokkenrijder

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Greek first
uk
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Big room, glorious views, clean sheets and towels every day, cooking facilities and a view worth a million euros! Frank collects and delivers you and your luggage from the harbour. He and his wife Eva are friendly and forever kind and helpful.
Fabulous place to stay so we're going back for a whole month next year!!

Room Tip: Just ask for a room with a view...you'll be spiilt for choice!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank sugardens
Salvador, BA
Reviewed September 29, 2012

This is my first time in Symi but I have already been to hilly islands like Santorini before. I booked this hotel through Booking.com for 78 Euros for one night. I thought I was making a splurge and having something special. On the website they are not clear at all about how much of an effort it is to get here. I know most hotels are in the hills, but this property should be very clear about its location. Besides that, there was no e-mail informed in the reservation, just a telephone number, and I don't have a cell phone on me in this trip. I sent a message through the hotel's website, telling what time i should arrive at The port, but there was nobody there went I got here. Hopefully I asked about taxis in a small Supermarket near the port and they called the hotel, and we were picked up. They said they had been looking for me all day, which I doubt. Besides that, the room I was given (14) had a Nice view of Pedi Beach but the bathroom is the smallest of all the small bathrooms I had in this trip. There's no support for the shower, so you have one hand to handle the soap, which is very uncounfortable.
To worst things out, they say there're closed from 12 until 5 pm and since I'll be going around the island, and my ferry leaves at 5pm, they will leave my luggage at the ferry company, which I had to agree even though I think it is very unsafe.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Taxiarchis Aparments is a great alternative to stay in Symi. Its like 15 min. walk to the center. The hosts Frank and his wife Eva were so friendly. Frank took us from the port and brought to his place. If you have a chance to stay at room number 24-25-26-27, you will have breath taking view to Pedi Bay. On the other hand, You wont have a Wifi connection.

The breakfast is nothing special but ok. The rooms were old fashioned but quite spacious and comfortable. Overall, Highly recommended to all travellers.

Room Tip: room number 24-27 (perfect view)
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Sinan G
Symi, Greece
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I had never imagined I would have the chance to spend such special holidays!
I really enjoyed my ten- day -stay at Hotel Taxiarchis.
Frank, Eva, Roula and the kids were really nice and hospitable, making us feel at home. The apartment we rented was plain, though really clean and tidy, with a wonderful view to Pedi Bay. We had the chance to taste some real greek food, too, as the owners - always kind - would treat us with some of the house made food they made for the family! The nearby tavernas were gorgeous as well. George's restaurant, five minute's walk away from the hote,l was splendid! I treated myself a couple of figs from the trees around the hotel... That was an experience! Looking forward to go back soon!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank jennydooley4
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Just back from a couple of weeks on Symi [Aug 2012], staying at the Taxiarchis. We like a quiet location but this was in the middle of nowhere and at the top of a hill. Fairly typical Greek accommodation - basic but clean, air-con is a must but prepare to pay another £50 a week for it. A good 20-30 minute walk to anywhere, down about 500 steps which makes it impossible for old and young as well as anyone with walking difficulties. Supposedly it is also a 20 minute walk to the beach but there is NO beach, it may be where the sea meets the road but if you like the beach then you’re on the wrong island. After your 20+ minute walk it’s a short [5 euro] boat ride to the nearest small stony beach which was ok and to be fair there are numerous of these around the island. Apparently there is one small swimming pool on the island but we didn't come across it. Symi was very expensive and watch out for the dual price system that the shops seem to operate - no price tags and one price for locals and a much inflated price for tourists! I would also recommend that you change your currency at home. I got over 1.25 euros to the pound; the exchange rate in Symi was 0.77 euro to the pound!!!!! The music festival stopped a couple of years ago and the museum closes during the summer so culturally there is nothing. Over all I would say Symi is a beautiful island but you really need a hotel in the harbour and personally I wouldn't recommend staying on Symi for anymore than a few days.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank charlie b
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Our first visit to Greece and what a place to start with!! We really enjoyed our stay Frank , Eva and family were very friendly and helpful. Rooms were very clean ,sheets changed very frequently more than any hotel we have stayed in.
Beautiful location and the view from room 24 is breathtaking ,Locals are so friendly 20 min stroll to Pedi beach which is basic but we loved it .5min bus ride if you prefer and same to harbour .Taxiarchis is central for exploring Chorio and Yialos .Plenty of fantastic Taverna's in walking distance to apartments it may not seem like if you arrive at night you will be surprised, Steep roads to get about the village if you have difficulty.
Air conditioning is a must as temperatures reached 44c in Aug be prepared to pay for this per night 7 euros currently .No safe deposit boxes required as this is such a safe place to be nothing needs locking even doors.Ideal for lone travellers as you will feel safe walking around even in the darkest alleys.

Room Tip: apartments have best views
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple