“Well worth the trip up!”
Review of Profitis Ilias

and up
Santorini Full-Day Guided Sightseeing Tour
Ranked #84 of 267 things to do in Rhodes
Reviewed June 2, 2014

I think this may be one of the hidden treasures on Rhodes. It is a long drive up, but we did see several coaches coming down the mountain so it's a scheduled stop on some tours; otherwise, you need a hire car. I've been up twice now, and never once have I seen anyone else making the climb all the way up to Mussolini's old house. It is quite hidden from view. From the parking lot of the Elafos Hotel, turn south, look up the mountain and to your right. At one point the house was painted red but it has faded. (If you can't see it because of the trees, staff at the hotel will point out the steps to you.) Climbing to the top was a challenge but well worth it. The house is in total ruins and completely open. It has obviously been vandalized so you are able to easily go in. It really doesn't take a lot of imagination to understand the magnificence of the house in its day but again, it's also in ruins so be very careful inside the house and out on what's left of the balconies. Surrounding the house along the mountainside are ruins of old barracks. My Greek neighbors tell me that Mussolini never stayed at the house -- he just had it built. It would be very interesting to research that. Word of caution: there is a very old narrow road leading up to the house (entrance is not marked) but don't try to take a hire car up there! Once we made it to the top, we found a man there and it looked to us like he had torn out the undercarriage. There were some guys trying to help him, and he managed to get the car back down but I doubt he made it back to Rhodes with all the damage! Even walking the road rather than the steps is slightly treacherous due to deep ruts and large rocks that are jutting up in the road. There is no room at the top for even turning one car around. Walking is the only way to get up there!

All reviews
"taverna"
"refreshments"
"path"

Reviewed March 8, 2014

Location is great, up,the mountains, cool, secluded, and vey unexpected. Known as Mussolini's house, but better described as Hotel Elafos, a lovely place to visit for the hotel, cages and views across the sea to Symi and Turkey.

2  Thank Rebecca E
Reviewed October 30, 2013

You will need a car but its definitely worth a visit. Buildings are from the Italian era in the 1920/30s. For the Profitis Ilias story you should simply google it - it makes for a very interesting read. We haven't stayed in the hotelbut intend to next visit. It does however serve lovely coffee and cake, also a selection of other snacks. The views are also incredible.

3  Thank johncardro
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Wow this place was not what I expected. You need a car to get here and there are some very small roads with big drops but it is worth it. When you pull up Mussolinis villa is not what you expect but for the kids/adults this is not the main thing. When heading up the steps which lead behind the coffee shop you find the old derelict villa which you can enter and look round. My 6yr old thought this "Haunted House" was fantastic... you could only get onto the lower floors as the stairs were not really suitable for using and looking up am sure the floors were in there way out..... but that didn't really matter. For the adults the view from the balcany was breath taking. We spent a couple of hours there walking the tracks through the trees and in the hight of the day this was a welcome break from the sun. Beautiful place and well worth a look

2  Thank jakka_uk
See more reviews
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We found this place by car, it is located on the top of the mountains. !st we saw the old villa. Some people say it was the villa Mussolini. The hous is partly crushed, but you can enter there and to see rooms and stairs. And also the one of the best views I saw in my life (this you can see from the 2nd floor from partly crushed terrace. Seems that time stops there... There is just you, this view to the sea dn infinity...

After villa we came back to the car and continued by the road, and in 1 minute just below the villa there was restaurant and infront old hotel. We decided to take small lunch at the restaurant. It doesnt have any name, but the place looked very good so we entered. We took a table outside - to have a fresh air and enjoy the forest. When the owner brought us the dish we ordered, we liked how it looked, but when we put small people to our mouth, it was like the blow up (!) Like something happens to you what never happened, something secret, something which goes inside of you... It was the rare time in my life when food can wake up inside of you certain feelings, and to make you so happy ^)))
My dear boyfriend also felt the same, it was like the magic, and the dish was eaten very very fast )) Unfortunatly I dont remember the name of the dish because my brain was swiched off during eating this fantastic meal, but the thing I can say - it was the starter with ricotta chease.
By the way, here is few words about the restaurant...
It belongs to the family, which collected very old traditional recipes of that village and now, after centuries, this recipes become alive in your plate, giving you strengths and energy of time. )))
So I consider this restaurant the best in Rodos and actually as a real gourmand, I can tell you it is one of the places you have to visit in your life. Dont judge the look, judge the tast... )))

4  Thank Natalia863