Hydrovius Diving Center
Open today: 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM
Review Highlights
Wreck Diving Paradise

Little known to the average diver, Leros is probably one of the 2-3 best wreck diving destinations... read more

Reviewed June 21, 2019
albo62
Best diving experience of life

It was an amazing experience. The diving center is just awesome and the team is very profesionnal... read more

Reviewed November 11, 2018
Evi K
via mobile

All reviews dive shop dives beginners instructor wreck nets destination sea island
Selected filters
Reviewed August 23, 2014

This summer I experienced several dives around Leros. For those who love wreck diving it's an experience you cannot miss. Several divesites with interesting wreck from WW II: planes, landing craft, anti submarine nets, ship wrecks etc..

The diving center Hydrovius offered me a challenging programme. Dive master was great. He has the quality to understand what different divers need. A very professional en personal approach, I appreciated it very much. Also less experienced divers are guided very well. A good example: one of the divers was panicing during the dive. The divemaster Kostas knew how to handle this very well and got the diver safely to the surface. Also the more experienced divers feel very well accommodated. The divecenter is very well equiped. Everything is present.

I would recommend these Leros divesites and divecenter very much to everyone who loves wreckdiving and likes a personal touch.

3  Thank Dutchvisitor435
Reviewed August 22, 2014 via mobile

Leros people like to describe their island as the "Malta" of the Aegean Sea.
As far as wreck diving (not penetration dives) the title can be justified. Plenty of dive sites with remnants from WWII, ranging from 12 meters to 53 and even deeper ones. The deeper ones are not easy to visit during the normal diving schedule of the Hydrovius Dive Center, due to the complexity of the dives.
I would definitely recommend it as a diving destination, or even as the ideal place for diving courses, although not during the high season.
Extra bonus is the always smiling owner and instructor Mr Costas Kouvas with years of experience, who despite a somewhat "cryptic" behaviour, gives out a feeling of full confidence. A bit on the downside is the ladder of his dive boat, but you get easily used to after the first dive.
Definitely planning to go back!!!

4  Thank iSoulos
Reviewed August 18, 2014

A diving center with all the necesary documents and certifications. Safe travel to the diving point with a boat. They even gave as a temporary Dan insurance for our dives. Later on we got an email from Padi and Dan with some kind of answering sheet. So profesionnal. Very friendly instructor and dive master. Also there was someone there to even cary our equipment to the boat... Loved it. Will sure go back to do a course... Thank you Kostas

2  Thank 601Annie
Reviewed August 9, 2014

If it were to rate the dive sites around Leros I would be compelled to give a very high rating. Usually there is not that much to see in Greece but if one is interested in wrecks and WW II Leros is very fascinating.

Unfortunately the dive center is not to praise. 1) The equipment is worn (obviously cared for little). I dont like if my BCD is leaking and the regulator, too. 2) If there was a briefing before dives than it might have been in Greek. The English version contained usually just one sentence: There is a wreck down there. In not a single case any information was given how long we are going to dive, what exactly we are going to see, etc. 3) The worst was the complete lack of any safety considerations. No buddy assignment, thus also no buddy checks (no check of anything at all). 4) No briefing on signals. This was extremely astonishing for me at first. Once in the water I understood. There was anyway no communication by the dive master at all. 5) Not even the amount of air was ever asked for once under water. Well, there were - of course - also no instructions beforehand when to inform about any status.

I know there are divers who are of the opinion that every diver is responsibly for ones own safety. With 100s of dives I could agree. Just the reckless disregard for safety cannot be accepted when it comes to a dive center. PADI is informed.

My advice: Bring your own equipment, at least your own regulator. And due the described circumstances I cannot recommend the dive center for any courses.

3  Thank cmannva21
LerosActive2014, selling agency at Hydrovius Diving Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2014

Being the agency that sold the certain dive program, I am very sorry that the dive experience of this critic's writer was disappointing. The disappointment was not adressed to the divesites but in particular to the dive center. I accept the opinion of our clients and try to use it to improve our services. In this case however, I cannot agree with the statement 'reckless divecenter'. As cooperating partner of Hydrovius Divecenter for many years, I am 100% convinced of the more than sufficient safety measures and the very high standards of dive guidance and education of this center. The equipment is being checked regularly, in this case the rental (for two persons) was not even charged for. I wish that these comments would have been expressed in our evaluation afterwards in my office, rather than on a Tripadvisor page. There were many more divers present at the same dive who were very excited and satisfied. I believe that the disappointment was based on other reasons which respectfully I will not mention. Therefore I find this critic unfair.

Reviewed July 28, 2014

We had our first diving experience in Leros with Leros Active. It was brilliant! We had training classes in the sea next to the diving center and afterwards went to see the wrecks from the second world war. Experience unforgettable and highly recommended. Our diving master was Konstantinos Kouvas who has more than 24 years diving experience across the world. We enjoyed a lot his teaching approach and we will definitely come to repeat the dives!!!

We combined our diving experience with brilliant sea food (everyday fresh shells and fish from the sea!!) and beautiful beaches of the island.

Date of experience: July 2014