All reviewsmagic lifeentertainment teammain poolmain restaurantpool bartapas styleaqua fitnessgreek tavernaa la carte restaurantsexercise classessporting activitiesenglish kidskos towngerman guestsfree safeteens clubevening shows
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Welcomed on arrival and shown to our suites vis golf cart. Introduced to the suite. Very roomy and comfortable. All inclusive food covered all tastes, beer was cold, wine fine, no gin and tonics. However, with all the facilities and friendly staff we had a great holiday and would reccomend it to friends and family

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the pool bar and was close to everything
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mike B
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We holidayed at Marmari Palace September 2012. We booked through Secret Escapes/Broadway Travel expecting a Junior Suite at a five star establishment.
The first room given to us on arrival was room 7103, a standard double room not a Junior suite. A long and upsetting "discussion" with a very unfriendly receptionist ensued, who insisted that our room was a suite. We eventually had to pay to log on the hotel public computer to show her the Junior Suite asnadvertised on the Marmari Palace Hotel website. Even then she still tried to say we had a different suite, how she thinks a small double with one arm chair can pass as a suite is beyond me. Finally after standing our ground she agreed to move us the next day when a junior suite became available. We finally got moved after 2pm, thereby wasting most of the first day of the holiday. The suite we got moved to was on the top floor of block 3 and was just as shown on the hotel website. The bathroom and bedroom furniture and fittings are old and tired but fully functional. Air Con in both the lounge and bedroom worked adequately though the bedroom AC unit was noisy. We had a fridge but it wasn't stocked as a minibar. There was not a kettle, or tea or coffee provided. If it is windy the wooden pagoda structure on the balcony creaks and groans which can make for some disturbed nights sleep. The room was very clean though, a maid cleaned it every day throughout our stay and put fresh sheets on the bed and towels in the bathroom.
The pools around the hotel are very clean, and there were plenty of sunbeds and umbrellas. Pool towels are collected from the pool bar after 10am and can be swopped for clean ones as often as you wish. The tiles on the bottom of the pool are a bit sharp in places and my husband scrapped his toes on them when playing water polo, so it may be worth investing in some pool shoes to wear.
The food in the main buffet restaurant was always plentiful, though never exciting and often it wasn't labelled so you wouldn't know if it contained meat - a problem if you are a vegetarian. Also the food wasn't very hot so there is no chance of having a leisurley meal. The Secret Escapes website talks about "show cooking" - we didn't see any examples of this, I am also not sure where the Gourmet Restaurant with A la Carte dining was - the Italian restaurant serving pizza and pasta surely can't be classed as A la carte? The drinnks included in the All Inclusive were very limited, the wine was okay but there wasn't a wine list to choose from just house wines, red, white or rose. We couldn't get booked into the Italian restaurant but tried the greek taverna and was very disappointed - it has to be the worst example of Greek Cuisine on the whole of Kos. The Bar staff and Restaurant staff were all very attentive and friendly to us.
It is worth taking a bus into Mastichari or Kos Town to get some decent food. The bus service is very reliable and cheap. It is also worth braving the mosquitos at Tam Tam beach cafe (a short stroll along the beach from the hotel) food there was very good and not too expensive. Get there before sunset to watch the sun go down.
We wouldn't go back to this hotel.

Room Tip: If you have booked a junior suite make sure you know what you should be getting and be prepared to argue to get what you've booked.
4  Thank bigmommasally
Reviewed September 27, 2012

My Wife and I went on a 7 day all inclusive to this resort advertised in the Daily Telegraph as a "Five Star handpicked resort".

Good points :
Clean and neat, great pools, nice beach, magic weather and the beer was cold.

Not so good points:
Rooms are dated.
The food is mass produced and poor,it was pretty much like being back at boarding school.
Majority of staff seemed untrained and treated guests as an inconvinence.
Wine and the "free" brandy and ouzo on the A/I was low quality ... pretty much undrinkable.
We ended up going to local Taverna's to eat and have a few drinks... they were great.
Would I ever go back ? .... not a chance !

Room Tip: Get one with a Sea view
2  Thank LozzoUk
Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

Had an enjoyable week at the Mamari Palace. Other reviews are correct in that there are a lot of Russian and German guests. There were only about 12 English couples.

Hotel, pool areas and room spotless. Was impressed at lack of any litter. The Maid changed the sheets every day and gave us fresh towels.

The reception staff were helpful and were able to recommend local tavernas for food when the all inclusive selection became a bore. The receptionist even charged my kindle and phone behind the desk on the last day as we had already checked out of our room!

I must admit I was disappointed in the food supplied for dinner. Very repetitive and salty. Some of the dishes were very over cooked, chewy, not much flavour or cold. Breakfast and lunch was not a problem. I stuck to continental breakfast and salads.

Having been to other Greek islands but on a self catering basis I have been used to the wonderful flavours of traditional dishes. I had not expected much from the Italian restaurant on site but was an improvement on the main restaurant. For someone who usually eats low fat foods, everything seemed quite oily.

The Greek restaurant on the beech was quite chilly in the evening due to time of year. Food was a disappointment as nothing like what the local tavernas serve.

Best food all week was from an Italian restaurant in kos town - very cheap but excellent service. Mastahari had a nice selection of tavernas and we chose one directly on the beach. Finally had the lovely Greek food I had been waiting for.

The bus service is reliable and the stop is directly opposite the hotel. Cheap and no hassle. Reception can provide the bus timetable.

Overall really enjoyed the holiday but I would have been disappointed of we had not have explored the island and remained at hotel for the whole stay.

Would really recommend the honeymoon massage set in candlelight with music. I would come to this hotel again to see the rest of the island but would not expect 5* food which is really a 3*. Everything else is 4*. Hotel still worth a visit but wasn't quite the luxury I expected.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We had 5 days here on a Groupon voucher and we were treated us such. The first room we were given was subterranean and you needed the light on permanently. We were changed after a lot of hassle and the management being dragged out from the back to another ground floor room (although we had requested a high floor). This was fine but unfortunately the porter got over zealous with my husband's case and ripped the side open. We were offered a new case but had to go and badger the reception for it to arrive on the night before we left. The voucher said check out at 6pm and we had a lot of bother keeping on the room as they wanted us out at 12 noon and our flight was 9.10pm. The food was 3* indifferent, mainly cold or luke warm which was a disappointment. Most of the staff could not understand English and we had to call for the restaurant manager if we needed anything different. A 5* hotel that did not have decaffeinated coffee??? The sheets did not fit the bed and there were no mattress covers so face or feet were normally on the mattress. No extra pillows or blanket for when the air con was on and we had to ask for replacement soap, shampoo etc. The hotel seems to cater mostly for Eastern European guests and the service reflects that policy. They seemed to have all the good rooms overlooking the sea etc. Also you have to pay 3 euro for each sunbed on the beach. I suppose I thought we were getting a good deal in a good 5* hotel and spa which I am sorry to say we did not. I would not recommend this hotel or return to it.

Room Tip: You'll be lucky!! The best would be in Block 7. Stay well clear of blocks 1,2 & 3. They are extremely noisy as there is piped music in the restaurant, in the pool bar and at night music on a small stage - and all the music is blaring and different!!!!