“Basic but friendly”

Ranked #91 of 150 Specialty Lodging in Kos
Surrey, Canada
“Basic but friendly”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

The rooms here are very basic and dated accommodation, if you are expecting more, you will be disappointed. Not all accommodation may be as shown in the photos. Our room was next door to the main property and we entered through a newspaper covered vacant commercial property. Wifi coverage was spotty when available. Nitsa, the manager, was very friendly and helpful. It is a half block to the beaches in the area and several blocks to the harbour.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cambridge, UK
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Let's start by saying, this is a one star experience. If you are looking for a five star experience, you'd best not book here.

I arrived pretty late after an hours flight delay and booking myself onto a transfer that took way longer than I expected (the biggest lie of my holiday - transfer aprox 40 mins!)Nitsa and her son Kosta greeted me warmly and handed me a bottle of water whilst offering me a seat.

I was surprised to be taken out of the Nitsa building and walked two doors down to Popi Pensione and shown into a room on the first floor. I believe Nitsa co-owns this building with Maria, who was on site for my whole visit.

I find, when I arrive late and tired, everything looks pretty poor and this was an example of that. The room is very basic, with very basic facilities. I slept though, and woke in the morning to find that the room was in fact clean, very serviceable, had what I needed and this particular room has a sea view, which was a bonus.

That morning, Kosta explained how I could access the beach for free, how to get everywhere (including a map), where the local (decently priced) supermarket was (literally, a five minute walk) and explained busses, bike hire etc. All really useful information.

Both Nitsa and Kosta where lovely people and nothing was too much trouble. They have a lovely relaxed attitude and will help out however they can. I was flying out late, so my bag was looked after all day and I was able to access a bathroom to change before I left.

I would go back without hesitation. Don't however expect all the facilities of something more expensive, be prepared to accept it for what it is... a great value and basic apartment at an amazing price.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank binniecambs
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Nitsa is the best surprise to an arriving traveller full of solid information and communicates with good English and a fun sense of humour and Turkish-Greek history. I had six beds for just myself . Request breakfast as it is worth it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank b w
Richmond, Canada
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We were lucky to have Nitsa greet us at the ferry, and invite us to see her rooms. Kos was quiet as we were at the end of the tourist season. Nitsa's Rooms are in a residential area just outside the bigger hotels in Kos, North of the Harbour. Well located to access local restaurants and shops, and the beach, but quiet at night. I was on the fourth floor; my friend on the second floor. Wi- fi in his, not mine, but I had the whole roof patio, and breakfast table with sea view!
Nitsa and her family were gracious hosts for our week on Kos. We shared refreshment in a sitting area in front of her rooms, as we discussed the daily activities in the town, the politics of Greece, and the stories of our lives. Different guests joined us, from time to time.
I definitely recommend Nitsa's rooms, for a pleasant, economical stay in Kos Town, and a visit with a wonderful family!

The accommodations were modest, but safe and clean, and well-priced.

Room Tip: Top floor for view and patio
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
liverpool, england
Reviewed November 6, 2012

we stayed in nitsa rooms at the end of the season 2012
it was a very cheap price and we were shown different rooms to choose from....
i believe we choose number 14 which was on the very top floor 3 flights of stairs up...the room was basic with tv cooking facilitys and airconditioning....the veiw was lovely...the top terrace was not done up but was lovely and secluded with a beautiful view of the sea...and also a table for 2 where we enjoyed our evening ouzo whilst the sun went down....there was a shop downstairs were we bought our drinks and snacks for the room....the family were very friendly and didnt bother us at all....rooms were cleaned every 2 days and we even got a lift to the bus station when we left from nitsas son.....
first restaurant was a few hundred metres away called nikos fish restaurant which was excellent....very good food.....the town was quiet as it was the end of the season but was still nice to amble around as the weather was still good
the thing that striked me the most was how friendly the greek people were in this town....i live in crete but i was suprised how genuinly friendly and kind they were...

Room Tip: top floor if you are fit....
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jeanettetheget
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We stayed here for a week, the rooms were obviously modest but in good condition and comfortable, all together excellent value for money. Excellent location as well, just a couple minutes walk to the beach! And about 3 minutes walk to the marina and less than 10 minutes walk to the bar street! But the most surprising thing was how incredibly helpful and sincerely friendly the staff were! I cannot praise them enough, we had some problems finding different places in the island and getting around but the staff made it all so easy for us.

Highly recommend, and for the first time actually considering going back to the same hotel!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sak O
San Luis Obispo, California
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Nice, quiet, comfortable, secure, good location. We enjoyed our stay here for 6 days. The owner/management work to ensure a favorable experience. The beach area is just across the street. Many good restaurants are nearby. The owner has a small store at the street level along with the entrance area.

The rooms are neat and comfortable: ours had a small kitchenette area with sink, hotplate, pans, dishes, and refrigerator. Our top level room also had balcony with view of the sea and surrounding town. Perhaps because of the height and distance from lobby/store area, we did not have an in-room WiFi connection that worked for us. However, we were kindly given access to the owner's computer downstairs. We always had access to hot water on demand. The air conditioner operated flawlessly, and the room we had was outfitted with modern, secure windows, doors, shades and screens.

With a little shopping around among the many vendors, bicycles, motorbikes, and cars area available for rent at affordable prices. Kos is favorable for biking. And for greater distances and exploring of Kos, motorbikes or cars can take you further afield. There is much to see and enjoy.

Nitsa rooms/apartments is recommended.

Room Tip: We liked the top level twin with balcony and kitchenette.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple