TripAdvisor

via mobile
Fabulous hiking holiday

Reviewed June 9, 2019
Daydream296594

All reviews hiking guide interesting insight unspoilt island wild flowers level of difficulty folk museum honey farm in depth knowledge walking holiday archaeological site nigel wildlife mansion swims hora paths athens
Selected filters
Reviewed September 13, 2019 via mobile

Highly recommended! We reached remote areas of the islands, enjoyed spectacular views. The group was terrific and so was the guide!

Date of experience: September 2019
1  Thank NaTpis
Reviewed June 9, 2019

Just returned from a 5 day/ 6 night walking holiday in beautiful, unspoilt Kythnos! Thoroughly enjoyed the experience - Nigel and Katerina were very knowledgeable guides and the other members of my group were fun to hang out with. Our daily hikes were always varied and Nigel put together a really interesting itinerary so that we saw beautiful churches, visited many deserted beaches, enjoyed refreshing swims (and sometimes a cold beer) and had plenty of laughs. I am a keen walker and found the level of difficulty of the hikes just right. Every single thing we ate was out of this world and I thoroughly enjoyed the the breakfasts at Stamatis. Don't miss the bakery at Hora too as it sells the best homemade granola bars. All the local people we came into contact with were super friendly and welcoming and the hotel in Hora was charming. I highly recommend experiencing this beautiful, surprisingly off-the-beaten track island and the holiday was excellent value for money. Thank you Nigel!

Date of experience: June 2019
3  Thank Daydream296594
Reviewed April 28, 2019

Spent four days walking on Kythnos then four on the next island, Serifos. The walking schedule was quite tough but leader Nigel was very amenable about changes/omissions. Best of all, the wild flowers were at their peak. Gorgeous! The food was traditional and delicious and we managed to sample Kythnos-grown wine on Kythnos and Serifos-grown wine on Serifos. Beaches fabulous on both islands though only managed a couple of swims as it is a bit early. The other people in the tour group were good company too and we were pleased to get to know them along the walks.

Date of experience: April 2019
Reviewed October 10, 2018

This was the most wonderful trekking holiday in a very special yet untouristy island of Kythnos in the Greek Cyclades islands. The trekking difficulty was moderate for us (71 and 67) We liked the way Nigel organized the week as part guided group of 5 and part unguided group of 4. The taxi transport and meals were also organized in a relaxed fashion by Nigel and worked very well. We had daily sea swimming in delightful secluded places.
Katerina our guide at the ancient city site was most informative and Angelos, our walking guide with local family connections at Hora the capital of Kythnos where we stayed, was great and showed us some interesting routes pointing out wildlife and other features.

Date of experience: October 2018
Reviewed September 13, 2018

I decided to do an active holiday in Greece 13 days before I booked flights from Australia, and in peak tourist season. My email correspondence with Trails Beyond, another boutique travel company, suggested Kythnos hiking might suit my needs. What a great recommendation Danae from Traiils Beyond...(see my review of their fabulous saronic sailing cruise in trip advisor). Had the best time hiking, swimming, eating at fab and different restaurants, beautiful accommodation, lovely company: perfect! Nigel was such an attentive host and guide who was really dedicated to ensuring we had a fab holiday. He certainly knew the island reslly well and the best hikes, beaches, restaurants. We also met one of his other guides who is lovely, and had a guest guide, Katerina, who co-wrote the Kythnos hiking trails book with Nigel. Nigel always had interesting tidbits of info to share. I am new to hiking and really appreciated the support i received from nigel and other walkers. I am hooked! I was after views, activity, relaxation, meeting new people as i was travelling solo. A highlight of my 3 and a half week European tour. Bring yourself with an open attitude ready for an authentic Greek island experience and a willingness to try new experiences and you too will love your Kythnos hiking trip.

Date of experience: September 2018