May Hotel
Minos Mare Royal(Platanias)
  • Room Service
Minos Mare Hotel(Platanias)
  • Pool
All reviewscleaned dailyquiet hotelair confamily run hotelchildren's poolgreat holidaymodern roomspool areabbq nightrelaxing staygreek dancingminute walkwalking distanceother hotelshalf boardmariatavernas
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We spent our honeymoon in this lovely hotel and it was simply perfect. Lovely and peaceful place to stay (smaller and cozy, not like big impersonal resorts) with clean apartments, beautiful garden with crystal clear pool, delicious greek cuisine, and the most amazing staff we have ever met. These guys are just incredible.

Beach and sea is not far away from the hotel, easily accessible, not crowded and very clean. At the reception you can get towels and umbrelas just for deposit, so you do not need to pay for it at the beach. At the hotel you can find also free library with many books in different languages. Tavernas, pubs, souvenir shops, supermarkets are in walking distance.

All of these made our holidays amazing and we definitely want to come back in the future. We fully recommend this place for anybody who wants to have great time on Crete.

Many thanks to all of you, "family" from May. You make the difference. See you :)

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lenka_Michal_S
Reviewed July 6, 2012

We have just returned from our 4th visit to the May Hotel. Once again we had the most fantastic time there. It is the most relaxing, friendly and welcoming hotel and must have the best gardens and pool in Crete! We stayed bed and breakfast and ate out each evening - there is a wide choice of tavernas within 500m and many more in Rethymnon which is a couple of miles away.
The beach is very easily accessed from the gardens where there are loungers and parasols. Sincere thsanks to Maria and Nikos for another memorable stay.

Room Tip: Overlooking the pool and gardens is a must.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Karen-DurhamUK
Reviewed June 26, 2011

booked this holiday for myself and a friend, we are both in our early sixties and have been to crete a few times. the hotel itself was very pleasant but basic , we were all inclusive which was very poor, the food was edible but hardly any choice, the only alcoholic drinks available were wine which was revolting, local beer or ouzo, anything else you had to pay for. my friend and i had to go to the local supermarket to by a decent few bottles of wine which we took to the bar each evening. there was no atmosphere at all in the evenings, if you wanted entertainment then you would have to walk 15 minutes to the village where there were bars with music. we would catch the bus to a lovely beach further down the resort as the beach by the hotel wasn,t as nice and you had to cross a dangerous rickity old bridge to get to it . this holiday wasn,t cheap in fact we paid the same for all inclusive in antalya turkey in june which was out of this world , so we wont be going back again , also there is a very rude greek lady who serves in the beach bar who shouted at me for helping myself to a glass of water as she wasn,t there , she never smiled once the whole week we were there.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank susanswambo
Reviewed November 27, 2010

Travelled here with my boyfriend 31/8/10 to the 10/9/10 and could not have asked for a better place to stay! It was stunning! There was always a bed around the pool and it was always lovely and peaceful. We stayed all inclusive and the food was brilliant, I cant eat dairy and Maria was brilliant and letting me know what I was able to eat. Nothing was ever too much trouble.
There's a lovely little bridge at the back of the pool which leads down to the beach was lovely and quiet.
We also got the bus town to rethymnon which wasn't far at all. We went on two trips, one to paradise island which I would absolutely recommend, was a lovely lovely day out. I was told thomas cook aren't offering the hotel anymore which I think is a huge shame. Was a holiday I will never ever forget and I really recommend, even if it means booking your flights seperately.
I know Nikos will read this so many many thanks :)
I have every intention to come again!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Alicex1
Reviewed September 10, 2010

We have just returned from our 5th visit to the marvellous May Hotel and want to thank Niko, Maria and all of the staff for making us feel part of the family once more!
There are certainly bigger, flashier hotels with non stop activity if that’s what you want, but I guarantee you will search long and hard to find a better place to unwind, relax and enjoy the traditional Cretan warmth, charm and hospitality that makes the May so special and keeps us coming back.
It won’t suit the union jack brigade who insist on chips with everything and ketchup on the tables but for everyone else, we’d highly recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple