“Rethymno Magic”
Review of Palazzo Rimondi

Palazzo Rimondi
Ranked #63 of 175 Hotels in Rethymnon
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I've stayed in many hotels around the world, particularly Europe, but I have never stayed in one with such perfectly mannered staff, nor better located. Honestly, if you turned up, you'd put it right here, and then choose these people.

So, firstly, thank you Angela, Sofia, Eleni and Maria! (I hope I've spelled your names correctly).

The hotel has so much character, which fits with the population of the old town. You can hop to ten different fantastic tavernas in one minute, to anywhere in the old town in 5, and down to the waterfront and beach in the same time. Our room was clean, had a fridge (not a minibar size - a proper fridge, which was an absolute lifesaver in the July heat), and a kitchenette, a living room area and a mezzanine bedroom - which, by the way, I was able to negotiate without problem despite being 6 foot 3 inches (190cm) tall. As has been mentioned, the bathroom is a little small, but how long do you spend in a bathroom and how big do you need it to be? If you're going to knock stars off for something as trivial as this, you really need to think about how you review things.

Which brings me nicely to some of the previous reviews. I'm sorry, but some of the complaints I've read previously are not only ridiculous, but also untrue. Frankly, it's pathetic to give something a poor review because you consider that older, fully functional bathroom fittings are "dated". If you do feel this, go to some horrendous sterile over-chromed corporate hole and lose all sense of feeling or welcome. And to say the breakfast is inadequate is simply a lie - they had just about everything I've ever eaten for breakfast every day - fresh fruits & yoghurts, cooked meats and eggs (3 types), cold cuts, cheeses, about 8 different breads, cereals, jams, and all the coffee, juice and tea you could want. Breakfast is 5/5, and anyone saying otherwise works for a different hotel.

Rant over.

This place is brilliant, you'll have a great holiday, perfect for couples, perfect for families, perfect for Rethymno, and the people who work there will polish your holiday to be one of your best ever. Stay here.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank BobbyConkers
There are newer reviews for Palazzo Rimondi

Reviewed July 11, 2013

We arrived at the hotel after reserving a room and paying two months in advance. As we entered, we were told that a mistake was done in the system and we were double booked and therefore we would have to be transferred to a different hotel. It did not help that we insisted we should have been notified in advance. We were dragged by foot with our luggage through the old city to the other hotel. Just a bad way to do business.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank amir_toib
Reviewed July 9, 2013

A friend and I stayed at Palazzo Rimondi last week for four nights. If we had not been contractually obliged to stay, we would have left. Although the entrance is lovely, and the hotel in a wonderful part of town, we soon realised that there is a huge discrepancy between rooms. We were genuinely shocked with ours - there is no way they were four star - two or three at most. Mine was so dark it was utterly depressing. It looked over a narrow alley and I literally couldn't see the sky from it. This was not what the website says! I requested a double bed and got a very narrow, hard single one, in a sort of tiny attic. Every time I left it I banged my head (I am 5 foot 6".) The bath was so narrow it was impossible to lie down in it - and I am a size 12-14. Also, free wifi was advertised but it never once worked in my room. My friend's room overlooked the pool but, although marginally lighter, was equally gloomy – and had a bunch of very dead flowers arranged in the middle of it. When we complained, they said there were no rooms available to change to, and anyway, we had already been upgraded - which is pretty laughable as we couldn't imagine the rooms could be any worse. Also, they said that as we had booked on Expedia we already had a bargain. Although the staff were on the whole pleasant, we didn't feel they really took into account our complaints, and if you read the similar negative reviews for this hotel, you'll realise there is a huge gulf between the treatment customers get. We were in rooms 104 and 106 - on the lower ground floor.
Also, it's very confusing that across the laneway is another Rimondi, but a 5 star version! Baffling! I've never experienced such false advertising before.
Positives were the tiny but pleasant pool, and the nice cobbled entrance. Breakfast was quite nice but there could have been more fresh fruit. We had a much more wonderful experience at the beautiful Amphora Hotel in Chania - which is full of charm, amazing rooms, great breakfast -– and is cheaper!

Room Tip: I'm sure if you stayed in a room higher up, with a balcony and large windows, you'd have a v...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank JenniferAnne3367
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Set right in the middle of the old town in a maze of little streets and alleys with so many bars and restaurants, yet only about 600 metres to the town beach (maybe a 15 minute slow walk) - it could not be better placed. Spent 2 lovely weeks here in June, writing this on the last day and don't want to go home :(

Hotel has a little courtyard with a plunge pool and tables for breakfast. Passers by look in and take pictures while. I'm sat here reading my book, which sums up how lovely it is.

Staff are very friendly and helpful.

Breakfast consists of fruit, cereal, scrambled and boiled eggs, sausages, bacon, meats, cheeses, cake - best meal of the day.

Rooms - the hotel is on 3 levels built around the small courtyard and it would appear all rooms are different. In the style of the Venetian town the rooms tend to be dark, which isn't a problem as they keep cool even without the air con switched on ....however our first room was a bit too dark being on the back of the hotel with only an indoor terrace as it backed onto an alley. We asked to be moved, which they did the same day, into a room overlooking the courtyard which was lovely. We would have been ok in the first room, it wouldn't have been a big problem but I'm glad we moved. The rooms overlooking the courtyard are far nicer and there are also rooms with nice balconies on the side and with terraces on the top floor.

I'm not going to give our room number as we will ask for it next time and I don't want to find you in there :)

Rooms have air con and safes which were included in the price.

We have been to lots of Greek islands but never to Crete before and we have loved this holiday. Rethimnon is beautiful with restaurants and bars in a maze of alleys and streets. At night it buzzes with people eating and promenading. Similar to Parga but bigger.

The town beach is long and busy, 2 sun beds cost €9 which we thought a little expensive compared to other islands but its a nice and busy beach. We ate at lunchtime opposite the new harbour in a little taverna called Netpino (it's possible the N is 2 T's) which was clean, good food and cheap. After going to the town beach for about 4 days we started using the local bus which you get from the bus station which is a 10 minute walk from the hotel.

We have generally headed west towards Hannia and have been to:

Kalyves (45 mins) which was a nice quiet small town with a beach but a 15 minute hot walk the other end (although we went back) cost €10 return.

Georgiopouli (longer beach and busier with more tavernas) cost €8 return.

.....and the next stop after Petres which is basically the first stop on a beach which must be 5 miles long with hardly anyone on it - cost €8.

All lovely so went off to the south coast today as our barman recommended Preveli beach on the other side of the island so we got the bus there. It stopped at a nice town called Plakia but we stayed on the bus to where he said and got dropped off in the middle of nowhere with about 500 steps down to the beach, really steep and dangerous. So turned round and tried to hitch a lift from the 3 cars that went past in 30 mins. No luck. Next bus in 5 hours! Looked at the sky and asked for help and a taxi came round the corner 10 seconds later. Looks lovely on google. That's where I'll be viewing it from.

Buses are reliable and air conditioned. Timetable in the bus station and staff.

We aren't historians but we went up to the fortress in Rethimnon but only stayed a few minutes as it was too hot and nothing there, other than a nice view over the town (€4 I wouldn't bother).

I've added reviews for restaurants but to summarise:
Very good - To Pigadi, Kapilio, Akkri
Nice Pizza - La Piazza
Avoid - Minares

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SimonW2008_11
Reviewed June 30, 2013

As we got off our transport we were warmly greeted by the lovely Thanassis who led us through the Venetian streets and into the oasis which is the Palazzo Rimondi. We were given a very welcome drink whilst he sorted out our booking and our luggage. Our room was excellent with 2 balconies so we could sit in the sun all day if we wanted or escape the sun and still be outside. The small kitchen was great as we don't always want to go out for dinner and it was equipped well enough to be able to rustle up a pasta in the evening. The daily breakfast was superb with lots of choice and it was always served with a smile. I can honestly say, the staff are second to none and nothing is too much trouble IF you have to ask for anything. From the cleaning staff to the reception staff, you are their number one priority. A big thank you to the wonderful Sofia, Thanassis and nor forgetting Helena who arranged a surprise and so delicious birthday cake for my partner. Don't hesitate in choosing this small but perfect hotel which is my favourite one in the whole of Crete.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Siouxs
Reviewed June 24, 2013

To stay at the Palazzo Rimondi is to experience the true warmth of the Cretan people! From being met off the coach by the manager to amble through the delightful streets of Rethymno,the wecoming glass of raki and the fabulous cluster of old buildings around a delightful courtyard---- immediately you feel as if you are in the true heart of Crete.Being in the old town,everything is within easy walking distance,bars,restaurants and lovely shops,full of olive products and honey.The people are just so friendly,we loved every minute of our holiday and the staff at the hotel treated us as if we were their family.We loved them all.Our suite--- room 108---- was amazing,kitchenette,sitting room,upstairs bedroom and lovely terrace.Ohhhh,We want to return.There is so much to see and do in and around Rethymno but if like us,you just want to chill out,it is perfect.I would recommend Rethymno and Palazzo Rimondi to anyone.Not one of the giant concrete blocks,real Crete,Venetian colourings abound,both in and around the hotel!I would say it is probably not one for families,but there are plenty of others for them.Also lots of stairs may not be suitable for everyone,but for us it was perfect.

Room Tip: Ask to be upstairs.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Valerie S
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Stayed here for 10 days and booked 3 rooms. The setting was great , right in the middle of the old town. We used a shuttle to get us from the airport to rethymon and one of the hotel staff came out of the old town to meet us and guide us in. All the rooms are different some have mezzanine beds, others are suites but all were clean and very comfortable, most have basic kitchen facilities. The staff were really friendly and helpful, with special mention to Elini, Sophia and Maria. The breakfast was a buffet but there was a good variety. Rethymon was a great base for our first visit to Crete and we would definitely stay there again

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family