We stayed in the Bio Suites Hotel last week and it is certainly worthy of a recommendation.
We stayed in a Junior Suite on the second floor, which comprised a bedroom, bathroom and kitchen/dining room. The room included a kettle, coffee percolator, microwave, fridge, two air-conditioning units. We didn't eat in, but having the fridge, tea and coffee making facilities, plates and cups etc. was a good bonus. The room was very spacious and clean (cleaned each day). The towels were regularly changed, with towels provided for the pool. Complimentary slippers were also included. Beds were very comfortable. Shower gel, hand wash and washing up liquid were provided. The room had a safe, which cost an additional €1.50 a day. All-in-all, the room was great.
We stayed bed and breakfast, which I would recommend because there are great restaurants in the old town to try out. The breakfast had a great variety of food to choose from (served 7:30 - 10:15). One review commented on the fruit juice being more squash like, which is true, but it was OK. We only ate at the hotel on one evening (their Cretan Night) and the buffet was good. The entertainment was good fun, although the belly dancer was maybe a tadge erotic for a family evening. Staff were helpful and friendly.
The location of the hotel is great. A one or two minute walk takes you to the beach. There were lots of loungers, some attached to hotels, but you could use any of them. We were charged €6 on one day and €9 on another. The beach was clean, nice sand, with clear water.
A very safe ten minute walk or so and you are in the old town, which has loads of restaurants and cafes. It is my first time to Greece/Crete and the standard of the restaurants and their food was much better than I was expecting.
I have never returned to a previous destination or hotel because there are so many different places in this world to visit, but I can imagine if I was going away in October again, returning to Crete and the Bio Suite Hotel would be a possibility.
A few notes:
- No problems with the wifi, but we did have a router opposite our door.
- English guests were definitely in the minority, with most guests being German. It wasn't till day three that we came across another guest from the UK.
- Noise from the road wasn't normally a problem as the hotel is set back from the sea front road, however we were woken up a couple of times when the rubbish collecting trucks were doing their thing at 4:00 am in the morning. I don't know whether this happened every day and we just slept through it on the other occasions.
- After the rooms are cleaned there is a bleachy smell for a little while, although it soon goes when you open the doors to the balcony.
- There is a regular bus service to and from Rethymnon and the hotel is a 20-25 minute walk from the Bus Station.
- You are discouraged from flushing toilet paper down the toilets and instead encouraged to put the paper in the bin. This is the case in restaurants and I believe most hotels in Crete. Allegedly the pipes aren't that wide and they block easily (and to think how advanced the Greeks used to be). You may want to bring along some scented nappy sacks to comply with that one.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bio Hotel is a Superior class hotel with 145 spacious studios and apartments all with a/c, satellite TV, telephone, safe, kitchenette, hair dryer and double-glazed windows. Located in the heart of the city of Rethymno 50 m away from the sandy beach, in a quite neighbor with low local traffic only. Facilities: Restaurant, Tavern, Bar, Swimming Pool, Children's pool, and playground. Gymnasium with Sauna, whirlpool & Steam-bath. Conference room for up to 100 persons. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Bookgreece.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Bio Suites Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bio Hotel Rethymnon
- Bio Suites Hotel Rethymnon, Crete