We stayed here for two weeks in the very hot month of July 2012, transfer time from the airport was around 80 minutes. On arrival were pleased with the room, although it had not been cleaned/made up since the previous occupants had left, the manager apologised and this was soon rectified (While we went out for a drink !)
Later a complimentary bottle of wine was left in the room to say sorry for this (We hoped that it was not a sign of things to come and were pleased to find that it wasn't !)
The rooms in the Steris seem to be many different shapes and sizes to accommodate the needs of anyone. Our room (306) was on the top floor (small lift available) on the left side with a good sea view, which was what we asked for. It had a comfortable double bed a stylish bathroom (Shower, no bath), towels, robes and slippers were supplied. There was a small kitchenette with hob, sink and fridge. A modern LCD TV (only two English language news channels available though, but we didn't go on holiday to watch TV !) Remote control air conditioning, which worked well (if slightly noisy) and a good sized balcony, which could be improved by removing the external air conditioning units which blow warm air, if your own or next doors, air-con' was on which was a pity. We were given a wi-fi code on arrival although the signal was very weak in our room and only worked near the door for a few minutes before you had to try and log in all over again, worked well in reception and by the pool though.
A small safe was available in the room at a small extra cost which we were happy to pay.
The rooms (We tried two, as we had to move on our last day due to our pick up not being until 1705) were very clean and tidy and decorated to a high standard. They were cleaned every day around 1100 except on Sundays.
The location of the Steris was perfect for us, you could walk over the busy road to the beach (reduced rate of 8 Euros per day for two sunbeds and a parasol (should be 9) with snacks and drinks served on the beach from the hotel restaurant (Ambrosia, with a 10% reduction in price for residents)
There was a small pool, partly under the hotel, which was fine for us, although in was totally in the shade after 1400. Only 3 sun loungers but several chairs around it. Not many people used it as the beach was so nearby, so we often had this to ourselves (there was also a bar from the restaurant next to it, so service was good)
There were plenty of local shops and restaurants (including the hotel's own) or as we preferred you could walk into the old town where the restaurants were better, if a little more expensive.
I would advise that you AVOID eating in the old harbour area, where many of the restaurants operate a tourist trap, with bullying waiters to get you in, then they hide a huge price-tag until you get the bill (Mouragio Maria is the worst offender, take a look at their reviews on here!) That was a real shame because they are in a great location, it's a pity they have to try and con people, but on the bright side nowhere else we found operated these practices and there are many fantastic restaurants in Rethymnon.
There are not many English people staying at the hotel or in the whole area, mainly Scandinavians (Especially Norwegians). We were happy with this as we go abroad to get away from home, so if you like the "Rose and Crown" pub on every corner this is not the place for you !
Many trips were available by coach, road-trains or boat, including a mock pirate ship in the old harbour. There were also car ferry services available, from the new harbour, to nearby places, like Santorini.
In general, apart from a few minor "nit-picking" issues we loved it here and would return, although we might go for a larger suite on the front next time.
Thanks for looking after us so well !
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to ...our home Imagine that you have a house in Crete with a view of the sea. A house where you enjoy warm hospitality and personal service, decorated in a modern style that elegantly combines a variety of colors and designs. Into a modern a modern, stylish and joyful 32 room Hotel where a visit makes our guests think "this is where I want to live". STERIS ELEGANT BEACH HOTEL: • Is located at an ideal spot in Rethymno. 20 meters from the clear-blue endless beach with golden sand, awarded a Blue Flag, both for its clean waters and the security it offers. 500 metres from the centre of the Old Town with its bustling life,filled with contrasts, such as the Venetian Castle and the Port of Rethymno. • Is skilled in the art of hospitality and attuned to the desires of its guests. For this reason, it has created joyful and functional areas, in which you can enjoy your vacation. • Its 32 studios, apartments and suites have all been designed to offer comfort and luxury. They are characterized by a game of colors, with several different motifs, and by the variety of the interior decoration. • The reception, the restaurant and the elegant outdoor pool are functional, modern areas designed so you can fully appreciate the feeling of familiarity and good service. • Is open all year round, offering guests the opportunity to experience the magic of Rethymno in every season, hosted in the house in which they have always dreamed to live. STERIS ELEGANT BEACH HOTEL WE ARE HERE TO MAKE YOUR STAY WONDERFUL! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity and Hotels.com so you can book your Steris Elegant Beach Hotel Apartment reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Steris Apartments Hotel Rethymnon
- Steris Elegant Beach Hotel Apartment Rethymnon, Crete