1,558 results
All reviewsa la carte restaurantsea viewhalf boardpiazza dihotel photographerbeach towelsold townmini barthe guest relations managergala dinnercd playermain restaurantfree safebeach servicestandard roomrestaurant staffprivate beach
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We had booked a garden room which doesn't exist. instead we over looked a road with building works. We asked to be moved but the hotel was full and it wasn't an option. The Thomson brochure says 500mtrs from the town but it very much a city hotel with all the city sounds associated with the city including lots of traffic noise, even when eating your breakfast.
We paid for a late check out as our departure from the hotel wasn't until 10pm, but we had to leave our room after breakfast and go to another room - very poor considering we paid for the late check out. This is not a 4 or 5 star hotel, the room was very tired and in need of a face lift the beach is lovely but you do need to cross a busy road to get to it - overall a hugely disappointing experience - the one redeeming feature is that the staff were very nice. I have written this to Thomson and have had no acknowledgement of our complaints again very poor will not be using Thomson again if they can't be even bothered to reply to my grievances

Room Tip: Don't choose a Garden room they don't exist,
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank jsnowybear
RithymnaBeach, Marketing Coordinator at Aquila Porto Rethymno, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing our hotel to spend your holidays. We are very happy that you enjoyed our Blue Flag awarded beach and thank you for your nice words concerning the friendliness of our staff. We have read very carefully your review and noted all your comments and we feel that an appropriate answer should be given.

Kindly be informed that it is written in all brochures of travel agencies we collaborate with that the distance of our hotel from the city center is 500m, it is not stated anywhere that it is situated outside the city limits.
It is also stated in all our hotel descriptions, very clearly, that there is a road between our hotel and the beach. We never intended to appear deceptive and that is why we mention it.

We are really sorry that you were not satisfied with your stay with us and we do sincerely hope that perhaps sometime in the not too distant future you may once again consider returning to our hotel and thus give us the opportunity to prove to you how worthy we are to hold the title of a true 5* hotel.

Mr. Kostas Damanakis

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Just got back from a week in this hotel. The location is wonderful. Just a 10 minute stroll to the Old Town but the hotel is across the road from the beach which is wonderful. The location was the key for me, I wanted easy access to Rethymnon in the evening but a beach for the day time. I wasn't disappointed. I agree the rooms need updating but it was very clean. I prefer this option to a newly furbished room that is not as clean as it could be, so it suited me fine. We had a view of the beach which was lovely. The food was good with lots of choices and the hotel staff were very friendly. We never had any issues so I cannot comment on how efficient they would be if there was a problem, but the hotel does have a member of staff in reception, not sure of her title, maybe Customer Relations or something similar, whose role is to help and advise with any aspects of your holiday.

The old town was a delight. This was my 3rd time in Crete and I had only visited Rethymnon on excursions previously but have always wanted to stay there. Fabulous holiday. I would be more than happy to return.

Room Tip: Worth paying extra if a sea view is important.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Heather M
Reviewed June 4, 2013

The staff are great the location excellent. The food is goods and the drinks prices high but hey the supermarket is over the road and the fridge keeps the beer cold... But the rooms, come on really it is time to spend some money. I have stayed here twice so I clearly like it and I would love to stay again but please modernise the rooms or I will have to go somewhere else. Time to spend and enjoy the rewards.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Our first visit to Crete and Rethmyno . We really enjoyed two-weeks in a great hotel and lovely resort.

We’d booked a Standard Room with a “Garden View”. No garden view, as our fifth-floor room (512) overlooked the street at the back of the hotel. Directly opposite were private apartments with colourful balconies decked out with plants (maybe that was the promised “Garden View”). Although we overlooked those apartments, we were higher than them, so our balcony was private and in full sun during the afternoon. Room 512 was quiet too – hardly any sleep disturbance.

Our Standard Room was very clean, comfortable and well equipped with a minibar/fridge (large enough to chill your own drinks). There’s a FREE safe too, as well as complimentary bathrobes, slippers and beach towels, and wine/chocolates on arrival. We spoke to people who’d paid £600 or more for a superior sea-view room (for two weeks) but we felt we’d got a really good deal with our room at the back.

The hotel staff were very friendly and the food was excellent. I miss the machine that produces freshly squeezed orange juice at breakfast, and the creamy porridge. There’s lots to choose from at breakfast and for the evening meal. The main problem is that the buffet area in the restaurant is quite small in relation to the number of guests. If you hit the restaurant at a busy time, you will experience congestion and queues.

Once a week, the hotel puts on a splendid BBQ night when tables stacked with delicious dishes are spread around the main pool. Not to be missed. I sampled grilled octopus for the first time.

For authentic Cretan food, however, you need to go into Rethmyno old-town (a 20 minute walk from the hotel), but I suggest you avoid the pricey harbour-side restaurants and choose somewhere to eat in the old town. We sampled one or two old-town restaurants (as an alternative to the hotel fare) and our favourite was “To Pigali” (“The Well”) which is featured on page 201 of the Rough Guide to Crete – a lovely courtyard setting with delicious food.

Room Tip: GO HIGH as others have recommended. We were on the 5th floor - Room 512 - a standard room at the back of the hotel overlooking the street. Very quiet with a sunny balcony in the afternoon. We'd definitely stay in that room again. Better value than a superior room with a sea-view, maybe.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CreweAlexForever
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We had a fantastic room, it was enormous and very clean. Sadly it was next to the air conditioning unit for the whole hotel and got quite noisy at night, but that was balanced by the fact that it was one of the larger rooms and had a huge balcony as we stayed 10 days we got used to it in the end.
The food was excellent, great choice, the service was professional and friendly. The staff were lovely. The beach is well maintained and just perfect. The indoor pool was great but the out door pool was so cold we could not use it, our son is just 5 and the pool is a big part of his holiday. That is our only complaint. We would visit again and totally recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family