My husband and I booked this holiday in October, for a week for our honeymoon.
First Impressions: We were actually a bit worried when we were dropping people off at their other hotels as the town looked very rugged and not like you would find this hotel in the area. However we were pleasantly surprised when we arrived. The hotel is directly across the road from a large sandy beach and it relatively attractive from the outside.
Reception: Our first encounter with reception was fine, we were checked in easily and the porter bought our cases up as they had instructed. Further encounters were not so good and we found one of the male receptionists (I cannot be certain of his name but he was dark haired and wore glasses) very rude. We had to visit reception twice for queries during out stay and both directed at him, he did not stop to listen to your question, but both times carried on what he was doing and then asked us to repeat ourselves as he had obviously not been listening.
Rooms: We had requested the honeymoon suite or a double room through our travel agent, alas we were not granted this, and were in a standard twin. Even with this being the case, the room was immaculately clean, had a large balcony overlooking the pool and with a sea view, lots of storage space, *FREE SAFE*, and the beds were very comfortable. We were very happy to see that we had been provided with robes, slippers, beach towels, and were also met with a fruit bowl, sparkling wine on ice, and a hand written note from the manager congratulating us on our wedding which I though was a fabulous personal touch.
Food...in word....WOW! We stayed all inclusive which is well worth it. Absolutely amazing selection for breakfast lunch and dinner, during our stay we had two themed nights, the Asian and Aegean nights which were both excellent. Always met with a Kalimera and a handshake from Georgos. The waiting staff are polite but some don't speak very much English so it is difficult to communicate to some what you would like. Yannis who served us the majority of the time is an asset to the hotel, very friendly and always the quickest service. The drinks were pretty limited and the local wine is like vinegar but there was generally something to suit my husband and I's various tastes.
Pools and Beach: Pools are much smaller than they look in the brochure and neither are very deep but they are clean and they do the trick. The beach is spacious, clean and a section reserved for people staying at the Porto.
Entertainment: What entertainment....DO NOT go to this hotel with hopes of having something to do every night, there was some very LIGHT entertainment in the form of singers, but that's about it, not a hotel for children at all. Also day time activities are limited to certain times of the day which is ridiculous as if you want to play table tennis, and someone gets in there before you, you can't play again until you either get in first, or until the next allocated time slot.
Location: Location is OK, it is a long drive from the airport. The old town is about a 15 minute walk away and we had a day trip which was an all dayer due to all the travel "Discover the West" which was to Suda Bay, Chania and Lake Kournas which was very interested and a great day out.
Overall: Lovely hotel, excellent food, drinks could do with expanding a little on the cocktail and wine front, beach is lovely, majority of the staff are great, entertainment could do with being upped slightly.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Inspired by the waterfront setting of the stunning northern coastline of Crete, Aquila Porto Rethymno brings the essence of an urban resort located within a striking distance of 700m from the city of Rethymno. The hotel presents a cosmopolitan escape, as you relax, dine and wander among Rethymno's most beautiful and historic sites offering the perfect base for business or leisure travelers. Chic, luxury hotel building and accommodation offer superb amenities and recreational facilities for all travelers. The hotel has been recognized internationally with prestigious awards and certifications for its commitment to the best service and hospitality. Porto Rethymno is an urban oasis featuring beautifully appointed guest rooms and suites which meet the needs of every traveler. The recently renovated guest rooms and suites have mostly views of Rethymno beach or the city harbor featuring a refreshing color palette inspired by a sophisticated fabulous setting. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Aquila Porto Rethymno reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aquila Porto Rethymno Rethymnon, Crete
- Porto Rethymnon
- Hotel Aquila Porto Rethymno