The Aquila Porto Rethymno is one of the most aggravating hotels I have ever stayed at. Here are a selection of my dislikes:
1) The air conditioning was switched off most of the time even though the temperatures were unseasonably high. It was unconfortably hot at night.
2) The cost of drinks in the restaurant were ridiculously high compared to those charged elsewhere in Rethymno. A bottle of sparkling water and a small bottle of Mythos lager was 8.20 Euros.
3) Reception staff were surly and it appeared to be too much trouble to direct us to the Avis car rental shop that was only 200 metres away along the seafront.
4) It appeared to be a major inconvenience to provide milk in our room to make a cup of tea or coffee.
5) There was no entertainment of any sort in the hotel.
6) It was nearly impossible to order a drink in any of the residents lounges. You had to go outside to the restaurant and wait till the staff had time to bring the drink to you which in our case was some considerable time. When we did receive the drinks, they were overpriced at 12.70 Euros for 2 coffees and 2 teas.
7) The main function of the staff appears to be to earn tips especially the annoying hall porter who seemed determined to manage our suitcases when we much prefer to handle our own suitcase and indeed airport security requires that we do so. We were even made to wait outside in the rain 10 minutes before the airport transfer bus arrived.
8) There is a main road between the Hotel and the beach which is busy all of the time. It was very noisy on the balcony and not at all relaxing. The noise at night precluded leaving the balcony door open to cool the room.
9) The food in this supposedly 5 star hotel was distinctly average with the same dishes repeated every night. It was ok for the first few nights but soon became monotonous. There was much better food in the taverna called Lissis 200 metres from the Hotel where the proprietor could not do enough for us.
10) The internet was charged at 5 Euros for 30 minutes when it should have been free in a hotel of this supposed calibre.
Overall, we were very dissapointed by this hotel rated at 5 star by Olympic and Platinum by Thompsons. We will go self catering in an appartment on our next holiday
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Inspired by the waterfront setting of the stunning northern coastline of Crete, Aquila Porto Rethymno brings the essence of an urban resort located within a striking distance of 700m from the city of Rethymno. The hotel presents a cosmopolitan escape, as you relax, dine and wander among Rethymno's most beautiful and historic sites offering the perfect base for business or leisure travelers. Chic, luxury hotel building and accommodation offer superb amenities and recreational facilities for all travelers. The hotel has been recognized internationally with prestigious awards and certifications for its commitment to the best service and hospitality. Porto Rethymno is an urban oasis featuring beautifully appointed guest rooms and suites which meet the needs of every traveler. The recently renovated guest rooms and suites have mostly views of Rethymno beach or the city harbor featuring a refreshing color palette inspired by a sophisticated fabulous setting. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, Travelocity, Orbitz and TripOnline SA so you can book your Aquila Porto Rethymno reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aquila Porto Rethymno Rethymnon, Crete
- Porto Rethymnon
- Hotel Aquila Porto Rethymno