“Scenic with lovely breeze and smashing food”
Review of En Plo Rethimno

En Plo Rethimno
Ranked #44 of 382 Restaurants in Rethymnon
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Seafood, Grill
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: En Plo ..... A Journey of Flavours En Plo, is one of the best restaurants in the Rethymnon area, located 100 meters from the old harbor, under the castle, Fortezza. Facing North-West you can enjoy memorable sunsets while enjoying your dinner with a glass of chilled wine and a delicious meal or drink a glass of Ouzo with traditional Greek meze right next to the sea front. We use only fresh Cretan products for our cooking and our chef promises a unique gastronomic experience. A large variety of selected Greek wines will also help you get into the holiday mood and the laid-back Greek way of living. We are open all year-round and look forward to seeing you. Manos Vinichakis Manager
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We visited this place following a recommendation by an ex-Carlisle lady working near the Venetian Harbour (thank you). We choose the fresh fish which happened to be sardines on that day. The fish came with black eyed beans, spring onions, tomato and lemon. We also had the freshest glorious bread, a tomato salsa, Rethymnian salad (seemed to be the same as Greek to me) and local beer (Fix 3 euro for 500 ml or Mythos 3.90 euros for 500 ml . A lovely and good sized lunch for two. We ate on the sea side looking over the wall at the clear Med and across the sea to the main beach area (there are tables in the main restaurant across the road if you prefer or the weather is less balmy). The coolest place (temperature as well as chic!) to eat in midsummer. Helpful staff. Good value as long as you order sensibly. Nice clean loo in the main restaurant.

Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

I got this recommendation via our travel agency and went there. Stunning view but bad english, no food for kids and tasteless food. I could not even finish my dish, it was that horrible!
I would never ever go back and I will also recommend my travel agency to delete them as recommendation:(.
I also want to add that we eat almost anything, not picky at all, but this was a disappointment:(

2  Thank Susanna T
ENPLORethymnon, Manager at En Plo Rethimno, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Concerning your comments on our restaurant for the quality of our dishes and our customers' service i would like to point out the following:
All products use in our kithen are fresh and come from Cretan earth.We do not use at any circumstances frozen materials and prepared sauces such us ketchup -mustard-mayonaise- and probably for this reason our dishes tated to you somehow different from the ones you are used at.
All of the above are the reasons our reaustaurant has received a great amount of excellent comments by customers, well-known chefs and tastes experts. Anyhow we always take in to consideration negative critics and we are continiously trying to get better.
Conclunding we would like to apologise to you if we did not fulll fill your expectations on that particular day and we will be delighted if we would have the possibility to host you and serve you some other time and manage to change your negative opinion on us

Best regards
Mihalis Hasikos
Chef

Reviewed July 19, 2012

Having read about En Plo in a tourist guide I was keen to give it a go. The menu didn't look that appetising - a very typical example of Cretan multilingual menus that give some slightly dubious pictures of the food. However, stick with it. The saganaki with figs is indeed worth a stab. My partner's anchovies were not what we expected - they came hot, like whitebait - but were good. Although not sold as such, there is an upmarket, deconstructed pork gyros on the menu: marinated pork belly with Arabian bread and tzatziki. Try it!

A two-course meal for two, with a beer each, and the inevitable sweets and raki at the end, came to 50 Euro, so it was good value too.

1  Thank Barry_Ahmadinejad
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I followed the advice of a well-known guidebook and found this excellent place. Ordered Cheese Saganaki as entree: a real treat. Then Souvlaki (can't remember the style, but they were excellent too together with the grilled vegetables). Had a quite peculiar red Rethymno beer, I read that other reviewers enjoyed the wine but having been disappointed by what I tasted in other places I decided to try something different, and I was happy with the result.
I sat outside, with an open view on the sea that makes you forget that on the other side there is a rather busy street.
Very nice service, at the end they even brought me small desserts and raki! Would definitely visit again.

1  Thank dilbert1970
Reviewed June 3, 2012 via mobile

En Plo is certainly one of the top 3 restaurants in Rethymno. They offer great food, as well as a variety of ouzo that you cannot easily find elsewhere. Definitely worth a visit!