“peace and quiet.”

Historical and Folk Art Museum of Rethymnon
Ranked #24 of 84 things to do in Rethymnon
Reviewed October 18, 2012

A lovely old mansion with quiet garden area. very few visitors. all of the contents were
excellent and well displayed with descriptions in English. Just 2 or 3 euros for eu oldies.
The garden needed a cat or two just to make it perfect!

3  Thank oldbillCornwallUk

Reviewed October 12, 2012

This is a small but fascinating museum. Lovely reconstructions showing examples of Cretan life & work, as well as clothing and household objects. However, for me the most interesting display was that showing the role of Crete in the last war and the bravery of the people. There is also a lovely little garden & courtyard to sit in.

3  Thank MaryBRedditch_Worcs_
Reviewed October 5, 2012

An interesting museum of local history. A big part is dedicated to Crete during WW2 and the person who initiated the museum.

2  Thank KickiB
Reviewed September 25, 2012

This is located in a beautiful old Venetian house, and houses an interesting collection of local artefacts, textiles and historical items. Very quiet, few visitors when we were there. Looks like a caretaker lives in part of the house, as there is a very inappropriate water heating system and satellite dish rather spoiling the effect of the lovely building, and the old formal gardens were rather bare and spoiled by frequent piles of uncleared-up dog mess. Obviously set up by an enthusiast rather than a commercial entity, which is commendable, but think they are missing a trick not selling postcards, souvenirs etc or such an interesting collection.

7  Thank Juliav50
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Rethymno Blues
Posted in New posts on February 9th, 2011 by alibaba2000gr

I spent some time in Lendas. It’s a great place but I didn’t see anyone for two days. I hope it’s better in the summer. Then I went to Matala with the hippie caves. The last hippie was seen here in 2007, as I’ve been told. By the way, Roula, thanks for all the info. Finally I went to Agia Galini, a top of the list destination. After visiting all of these places in the south, now I’m ready for some city action. Rethymno has it all, a fortress, a picturesque old town and of course great night life. It’s the third biggest city in Crete and I’m starting a series of party days here. Lots of students keep the place going even in the winter. Last night I had a great night out in the town so I’ll leave you to continue my hangover day. That raki (traditional alcoholic drink) killed me last night.

3  Thank OVERLANDDIARIES