“Absolutely Wonderful”

Ranked #66 of 370 Restaurants in Rethymnon
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Very surprised to see here there were a couple of negative reviews for Cavo d Oro. It was excellent and ate here for all our main meals after discovering it. Found it by accident while walking in the old city of Rehymnon, it is located directly on the Venetian Port. The host is a 72 year old friend of the owner who is charming, and above all a gentleman. The owners son, Peter, served excellent cuisine prepared for us. Try the Flava as well as the fresh fish, listen to them on the best way to prepare each different type of fish, they know well what is the best preperation. Lovely story as well on how this restaurant started. Peter's father grew up above the restaurant. What is now the restaurant was where their family processed and sold the fish they used to catch. The owner travlled the world working on ships and vowed when he would return home to Crete he would make his childhood home into a fine restaurant, which he did.

There are newer reviews for Cavo D'oro Seafood Restaurant

Reviewed November 13, 2012

The place is furnished with bad taste and the service was way too fast giving us no time to enjoy the first dish we had ordered before the next one was ushered in but the quality and the freshness of the fish we ate was outstanding and it came with friendliness and generosity.
Good choice of wines and a nice view of the old harbor to boot.

1  Thank Bare-with-me
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Our servant didnt get that i wanted my starter as a starter, together with the starter my wife ordered.
For some reason she figured i would like sardines with my main dish.
She didnt really apologize for the mistake and asked wether i still wanted the starter.
I said "never mind the starter" but they still brought and charged it.

The main dish my wife got didnt contain all ingrediënts that were listed in the menu and was very small.
My main dish was ok, but nothing special and very small.

When i complained about the situation no one even offered an apology, let alone that they charged full price for a starter that was served withed my main dish and that i didn't even want anymore.

Horrible place that i wouldn't recommend to anyone.
Any place nearby is probably better.

4  Thank EwoutVDC
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We were in Cavo Doro a week ago it made the difference from others beautiful settings open kitchen amazing design but the food was wow just perfect!!!! We tried The shrimps flamed in ouzo for starters and later a red snapper for the two of us with a nice chardonay wine. Just a perfect meal. I recommend this restaurant to everyone that goes to the Venetian port for there meal. Well done guys!!!!

Reviewed June 29, 2012

We diberately came here for lunch on Thursday, having refused the desperate pleas from the waiters of the other restaurants to dine or simply "have a drink" with promises of free drinks/deserts etc. very nice setting, all restaurants at the waters edge of the Venetian harbour.

This is our 4th year to Rethmyno and we have never sampled one of these restaurants before. Partly due to being a prime tourist trap and secondly from past experience find these places very over-rated, wishing we hadn't bothered.

So! Now I have set the scene, were we proven wrong? Nope! Why did we go? Because the restaurant interior was lovely, professional. The seats nicely covered.......it seemed set up in a finer dining way than others. The waiters were not pushy, very friendly and welcoming in a relaxed way.

Sat at the waters edge, brought bottled water (didn't ask for it!) before we reaslised what was happening the waiter immediately opened and poured without asking if we would like some.
A very hot day so we were grateful... Then there was the toasted bread.... This seems customary in Crete, we chose not to you touch it thinking we won't get charged if we leave it.......... Ha ha! Guess what was cheekily at the top of the bill? 2x bread at 1 euro each!

We ordered 1 small glass local wine and a local draft beer, 1 dakos which is hard rusk with tomato and feta on top, nothing to write home about and tiny portion for the 5 euro price tag compared to other restaurants sampled at in Plakias.

Calimari (as we were told by the waiter fresh sea food) which was rubbery and distasteful, more legs than rings and was overcooked and tasted of old oil. Awful.

We also ordered the shrimp stewed starter, 12 euros this dish alone!! 12 euros!!! Yes I said 12 euros! Well let's hunt the shrimps! Not even whole ones, about 5 small pieces in passata with feta on top. The worst thing of all was that the "poop vein" had not been removed which made me want to be sick - black sludge on my morsels of shrimp YUK! Perhaps because they had hidden the shrimps in a soup of passata they'd assume you would not notice?

The bill 29 euros! I have since read the previous trip advisor reviews on this restaurant and cannot believe they were positive. Infact, as we looked around us the neighbouring restaurants appeared busier with few spare tables unlike Cavo D'oro.

The food did not reflect the price, the setting and would not recommend this restaurant. It was expensive, the bill was incomprehendable but rather than query spoiling our day further we paid and left.

My recommendation..... Look at the view and just "walk on by".

2  Thank Merc9SLK