“Great little escape”

Ranked #94 of 370 Restaurants in Rethymnon
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Delving deep into Cretan tradition, Agreco, a fairytale traditional farm, has revived centuries-old organic farming practices in a unique expression of Greek 'philoxenia', or hospitality. This privately owned 40,000-sq estate is an innovative display of environmentally friendly methods for traditional and modern cultivation and breeding. On a hill near Rethymnon with vine yards and olive trees overlooking the infinite sea, don't miss a culinary experience, tasting diverse seasonal dishes based on the fruits of the land and the legendary nutritional Cretan cuisine. In the Agreco Taverna you will taste the very best of traditional Cretan cuisine. Only fresh, organic farm produce is used in the menu and the preparation is done entirely in the farm kitchens.
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Well worth a trip to see. Didn't try the food but understand it to be very good. Interesting to see how the olives are crushed and how the Raki is made. Staff very welcoming and friendly. Thank you Effy.

1  Thank ChrisGandTheBean
There are newer reviews for Agreco Farm

Reviewed October 10, 2013

This was an absolute delight and the highlight of our stay on the Island of Crete.

It's all about the experience.
The farm is beautiful. Driving up to it we couldn't believe that was where we were going to eat. It looked like it belonged on the cover of a romance novel. The tour was incredibly enjoyable and makes you appreciate the food that much more.

Food.
My girlfriend is very into local/healthy food, and we were not disappointed. Every ingredient comes from the farm and it's the freshest thing you'll eat. Fresh lamb, fresh cheese, fresh hare... everything fresh. The wine flowed free too (and I mean free... It's as much as you can drink!) and I must have had half a dozen of the delicious plum/guava type fruits that were part of the three course DESSERT. Meals are family style and the most delightful British couple (and their lovely daughters) were seated across from us. Greek dancing at the end was a riot.

Total price? 55 euros per person. I was so pleased with the price that I tipped an extra 20 euros to a few of my favorite staffers.

If you have a way of getting there (we had a car rented) then I highly recommend it.

1  Thank NSD88
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Well, I was extremely disappointed,I have lived nearby for 8 years and felt a visit was in order, I paid my 5 euros to walk around, the buildings are very attractive, and the view is great. As we walked around I was suprised, how neglected it appeared , the Lake was laughable, , a concrete pool half full. the vegetables looked so sad. The most upsetting part was two dogs kept in a tiny run with what was approximately 30 kgs of their own excrement in the corner, I did not expect this, I do know this is realistic after seeing many dogs like this, however not here!I am sure at the start of the season it is more attractive when the vines are fresh and the planting is done but I do not think it is a place you should be charged to visit... This was a very difficult review, I really wanted to be enchanted but I was not!

6  Thank Jacquelinedave
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I am all into organic leaving and great food. This tour was simply amazing. I booked it waaaaaaay in advance and had a good time corresponding with Efi, who was very polite, knowledgeable and definitely patient while answering all my questions).
Me and my husband went on Sunday for their evening wine and raki festival. When we arrived- Efi greeted us and waiter was there with drinks. Price for the tour was 53 euros/person and I definitely can tell that it was so worth it. Efi gave us the tour of the farm, telling about organic farming and walking us through different parts of farm (bread making, grain milling, animal farm etc.) And since it was wine/raki festival, we had great experience stepping on grapes and being part of wine/raki production:) The tour followed by 10 coarse dinner (no exaggerations:)), we had many starters, than main dishes, than pastry, several desserts, fruits, raki, bottle of wine....When we left the farm- we had 2 bags full of left overs, because we were not able to eat all of it. It was definitely our highlight on Crete! Would definitely go back!:)

1  Thank lizunchik24
Reviewed September 17, 2013

we stopped by on our way home and the farm had a very charming feel. We didnt do the tour or eat there but visited the shop which was lovely and we all got some olive oils and soaps. if we had more time then we would have stayed longer.

1  Thank Camilla88