“Worth the trip”

and up
Crete Monasteries, Villages, and Countryside Small-Group Trip
Ranked #2 of 85 things to do in Rethymnon
Reviewed October 29, 2012

It's a top destination in Crete, but at least in October it wasn't that crowded. Probably worth renting a car to get here.

Very spectacular site amongst the Cretan mountains.

Interesting church dating from the 16th century, and apparently untouched by the more recent events.... I guess the Turks didn't want to desecrate it?

The history of course is about the resistance fighters who blew themselves up rather than surrender to the Turks in 1866. Supposedly they got all the Turkish attackers too, but I'm a bit suspicious about how they could have lured ALL of them into the range of the explosion?

I have to update my knowledge of Greek history... I'd thought the Big Revolution was 1821, but it seems they were still fighting in some areas in 1866....

1  Thank xtenkfarpl
Write a ReviewReviews (1,824)

Reviewed October 19, 2012

The drive up to Arkadi Monastery is lovely but the monastery itelf is simply stunning. The church has so much atmosphere and beautiful paintings. The story of the monastery is pretty bloodthirsty but is typical of Greeks'/Cretans' determination to be free. The monastery courtyard is filled with flowers which helps to alleviate the dark side of this beautiful place. there is a cafe and gift shop and toilets where you can take a break before either heading back the way you came or setting out for Eleftherna and Margarites, two villages which have lots to offer in their own right.

2  Thank Asrprini
Reviewed October 19, 2012

This is just the place to get away from the hassle of the Tourist areas; very peaceful, delightful gardens and a lot of history.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

This was one of the first places we visited after arriving in Crete, my sister had read about the monestry in the guidebook so she navigated while I steered the hirecar through the mountain roads. Upon entering the monestry I was overcome by a feeling of Tranquility, everything was so photogenic and so pretty. I can't really describe the feeling I had when visiting the powder room, I just had to sit and reflect a while.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

A place so close to God...I've been there few times, every time having another wonderful experience. If I will tell you the story of this place I will ruin everything. I let you go there and discover it. Consider it an open gate towards Haven. The church, the museum, the flowers, the bells, especially the room of the martyrs, the monks, everything will bring so close to God.
In my last trip over there we met a monk. We took him on the way towards the Monastery. He showed us his room, treated us with sweets and told us his sad painful life story. A life time experience. I plan to go back again sometime in the near future. I believe I left a part of my soul over there.