“Taking for a ride”

Taverna Mouragio Maria
Ranked #324 of 374 Restaurants in Rethymnon
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Restaurant Taverna Mouragio Maria is in a privileged position in Rethymnon Venetian harbor waiting to treat you tastefully as well as with magnificent views of the castle and the harbor. Traditional Cretan products, fresh and pure ingredients,an emphasis on fresh fish and seafood, irresistible seafood dishes and homemade food awaits you in Restaurant Mouragio Maria. The menu includes fresh seafood and fish from the Aegean Sea, grilled, choice of meat and traditional Cretan recipes. The staff of the tavern Mouragio Maria promises immediate and fast service, properly informed and above all, friendly and hospitable environment. The pleasant and family atmosphere, with tasty culinary delights and great views make the perfect combination for lovers of good food and wine, who want to combine a stroll in the beautiful port of Rethymno, with a romantic lunch or dinner by the sea .
Reviewed July 26, 2013

DO NOT EAT HERE !!! ITS A CON.
Sat down,looked at the menu,the waiter talked us out of what we wanted,and said go for the fish platter,was ok ,that is until we got the bill £100 !!!!!!! AVOID THIS PLACE,ITS A CON
I just wished i had read the other reviews first
They are all so true,I wanted to write more but its just making me so ANGRY!!!!
If this was in UK,they would be shut down C.O.N

3  Thank 848ianm

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Located on the beautiful old town bay of Rethymnon, we were expecting a wonderful experience with great food. We got none of that. We were fooled by the owner's(?) words who took the guide book from my hands and showed us the page where his restaurant was mentioned, and we forgot to cautiously check the menu first. The prices were sky high, partly justified by the great seaside location, but not at all by the quality of the food. To be truthful it wasn't actually bad, but the grilled dish for two gave the feeling that we could have had the same food at a street vendor and at least be happy about the price.

We did get some free complimentary ouzo, but the women would have preferred something less strong, and one of the men was driving. So at the end the drink got wasted, not us :)

But the worst experience was when the waiter gathered up the plates when my fiance was still eating. I told him to stop because we hadn't finished yet, to which his reply was: "no problem" but he took away the plates anyway. I was astonished, but we managed to find it funny afterwards, but for people with less sense of humor and more desire for quality we definitely wouldn't recommend this place.

4  Thank Coraline_travelling
Reviewed July 21, 2013

the 'mosaqa' was warmed up by a microwave - some of it was worm and some was cold.
the fish was ok not more than that.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Just got back from Crete and the meal in this restaurant tainted the whole holiday. In retrospect this place was a well oiled scam from the moment they pester you to the moment you stagger shellshocked out the door. Anyone who gives this place a good review must be very wealthy indeed. They distract you from the menu which they do not want you to order from and push the fresh fish. They avoid questions on the price and basically lie to you. Food was good, it was fresh and simple which was the one positive. We were offered bread and declined but were told theyd bring it anyway and then we were charged. Two prawns and a bream for £80.

3  Thank tom d
Reviewed July 18, 2013

This is the first time i feel i have ever had to write a review on trip advisor, i am an level headed English citizen and will only write an honest review.
We were literally pulled off the street through the building to the harbour part of this restaurant and plonked on a relitively ok table where the settings were pretty.
As i had never eaten seafood abroad before i had a few question about the dishes on offer... the waiter did not want to answer my questions and huffed and puffed as if he was tired of waiting for me to make my mind up (this is the point i should have got up and walked off) but we didnt!
our food came quickly i ordered feta sagnaki which was really greasy but ok...whilst in the middle of my starter the waiter came with my main and shoved my starter along the table and said abruptly, 'here is your main... i was gob smacked i have never received such bad service in my life, i am 27 and have visited roughly 30 greek islands and hundreds of tavernas,,, this is one i wish i had never set foot in.
main courses were ok but nothing special i did not end up ordering seafood as i was unsure of the dishes , i cant lie and say the food was horrid as it was not but just ok!
we asked for the bill which came instantly, we stood up to leave and they ushered us out as quickly as they got us in.
I have read other reviews on this restaurant and really wish we had we had been treated with the respect they had as the location of the place was beautiful right on a small venetian harbour.

3  Thank Richter66