All reviews new friends single traveller singles holiday other guests deluxe room walking week no pressure house party independent traveller long table travelled alone two weeks dietary needs first timers exclusive excursions everyone eats together solo trip
Reviewed August 17, 2018

Recently returned from my first visit to The Mistral and very much doubt it will be my last! To all those who have never had to travel alone before and are scared to give it a go this is the place to start.From the moment you are met off the plane,you are made to feel welcome and at ease. The hotel is very much as described.My room was a standard one overlooking the pool and bar with a sea view.Air Con,safe,fridge,beach towels and toiletries are provided at no extra cost (very much not standard for many types of accomadation in Greece in August! )Meals are home cooked and amazing with diets and fussy eaters all catered for.Everyone eats together which helps people to mix. there are 2 pools with plenty of sunbeds if you want to relax and exclusive tours to some wonderful places if you want to explore.Plus the bus stops just outside. The staff are lovely and fellow guests welcoming.This place has found a special niche in the travel market from which others could learn!

Room tip: Rooms at the back are quieter,ones at the front have sea view.
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed August 16, 2018

I have always wanted to go to Crete so I left my husband at home to watch the cricket and went travelling by myself for the first time. For those who wish to completely de-stress by a lovely pool (x2) and be looked after, this hotel is incredibly friendly and relaxing; for those who also want to explore the island, as I did, our days out were organised and totally worry-free. My fellow travelling companions were very sociable and I enjoyed their company- you can be as sociable as as you want to be or not, you decide. I really appreciated being out all day with a group of like-minded companions, seeing wonderful places and then coming back to the hotel to share an evening meal afterwards with all the guests, with more sociability around the bar after dinner. I swam in three different turquoise and transparent seas from beautiful beaches and lunched in local restaurants, was amazed by the white Mountains, explored Chania and learnt much about the geography and culture of Crete from the staff of the hotel.The staff were all completely delightful and so kind. I was stuffed with authentic,fresh Greek food every day at breakfast and dinner and loved that the vegetables and fruit were mostly grown at the hotel and that the jams and marmalade, honeys, yoghurt and cheeses were made or produced by family, friends or local suppliers.My room was fine- scrupulously clean, with air conditioning and a little balcony. I only used it for sleeping! There was some traffic noise from the road, but nothing that disturbed me unduly.The web site is honest but it cannot do justice to the welcoming atmosphere which defines this hotel where I met lovely people and had a lovely time. I was very nervous about my first solo travelling experience but felt truly cared about at the Mistral.And of course, Crete was fabulous... Sally

• Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed August 15, 2018 via mobile

Didn’t have to think twice about returning this year for the third time. Once again we were looked after so well by all the staff. I had such a wonderful relaxing time ... made new friends as well as meeting up with old ones. This place is quite special.

Reviewed August 12, 2018 via mobile

I was lucky enough to spend another two weeks at the fabulous Mistral Hotel. I love this place, as do so many others who return year after year, & I know I’m always going to receive 5* treatment. Superb home cooked traditional Cretan cuisine where all the vegetables are organically grown in the hotel garden. Luxury, quiet guest rooms with comfy king sized beds - rooms are fully stocked with lovely Olivia bath products so no need to bring your own. The bar stays open late every evening, and I have never been disturbed by any noise, serving a huge selection of cocktails & other tipples. The charm of the hotel is that you get involved as much, or as little, as you require. They have lots of exclusive excursions to help you explore Crete further & I would really recommend these. There is a bus stop 2 minutes walk from the hotel so you can explore the island independently - all the staff on the buses speak English & they are very helpful in calling out particular towns & beaches so you never get lost. WiFi can be sporadic at times but hey ho we’re on a Greek island - signal was much better than Scotland! I love this hotel and all the friendly staff who do absolutely everything to make your holiday special.

Date of stay: July 2018
2  Thank Sue T
Reviewed August 11, 2018 via mobile

This hotel is simply something special, for solo travellers looking for a super safe friendly place to meet new friends In a relaxed manner with no pressure to do anything but opportunities to do lots if you want it including exclusive trips to beautiful parts of this wonderful island, you will leave with new long term friends and it’s no accident that over 55% of guests are repeat visitors, food is fabulous, every dinner is an occasion and the people that run the place treat you all as family and can’t do enough to make your stay a pleasure. Obviously it doesn’t suit quite everyone looking at isolated reviews strangely but this is one wonderful holiday. If you are a little bit nervous of taking a trip on your own, just book it, you will leave with confidence that you can have a damn good time travelling alone, well done mistral, fab time!

Date of stay: July 2018