“What a Wonderful hotel!”
Review of The Mistral

The Mistral
Ranked #1 of 11 Specialty Lodging in Maleme
Heathrow area
“What a Wonderful hotel!”
Reviewed October 26, 2009

This was my first visit to The Mistral - but it certainly won't be my last! From the time we were met by the owner Vasillis at the airport we were made very welcome. The family are passionate about their island and do their best to advise where you should visit - according to your interests. The staff were superb - friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble. My room was lovely, at the back, one of the newer buildings - it has a king-size bed, a fridge, balcony with chairs & table, kettle, iron, ironing board and hair dryer, so you didn't have to take any electrical stuff! My bathroom was large, with a corner bath, and a separate shower cubicle, basin and WC. Complimentary Olivia toiletries were provided. I found the food very good - plenty of variety in the evening, and second helpings if you wanted them! If you had a special dietary need you only had to warn the Hotel in advance and they would provide an alternative dish if, say, you couldn't eat pork. Jugs of local wine were provided at dinner. This is a 3-star hotel that provides 5-star ambience! Many of the guests were returnees - some as many as 5 - 6 times, which I feel speaks for itself! I will definitely return, if not next year then in 2011.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank iwishiweretherenow

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Guildford
Reviewed October 23, 2009

I really cannot think how any review of this Hotel can be bad. There are no rip off's you choose what trips you want to do and they are not expensive in my view. Vasillias is just superb and really make extra extra effort to please his guests despite being ill and tired at the end of the season, he arranged a trip at no notice at all FREE I might add as it was a very cloudy morning, took us into Chania told us the history and toured the back streets where he had grown up and then to the Harbour for lunch. He did not need to do this but wants his guests to experience a good time. I saw no building work at all, the garage is close, but only seldom is there noise and there is the back pool if it bothers you. There is some road noise, but you can go to the beach which is a short stroll, or down to Mikes bar which is 8 minutes tops with views over the sea and has a pool. It is not out of the way a short walk to Malame, but true there is little night life. However those that wanted it found it in Malame or the next town, the name of which I could never remember. The food was great and lunches not pricey and they are right about the Pizza which are great. ALL of the staff wanted to ensure you had a great time and personally I do not care if they are not all Greek, the owners are and it is run with Greek Hospitality. Also if the reviwer had read the brochure it mentions Vicky the chef, mama is there some of the time but is getting older, does the reviewer want her working into her dotage and there is no attempt to hide this. Take my advice if you go, attend teh wine tasting, teh food is excellent, the wine superb and Vasillias entertaining. There were one or two couples, but how does that interfere with your trip, the brochure is clear that the bar and restaurant are open to the public anyway and the two couples that were at teh hotel on our trip went off and entertained themsleves, more daunting for them I thinkt o be faced with 19 singles . All in all I will go again tomorrow and the one or two bad reviews although entitled to their opinion of course should be ignored. I have been on many singles holidays and this hotel is far in ecxess on of thehbest even the 5* in Rhodes last year palls by comparison so go and enjoy. My one and only complaint were the cats and I undrestand they are doing somethign about this.

1 Thank Teesie
Hampshire, UK
Reviewed October 7, 2009

I'm just back from yet another visit to the Mistral Hotel in Maleme. How anyone can say that it's a 'rip off' just amazes me, maybe they should try a different hotel in the future and leave The Mistral to the many people who love going there and return year after year. There is nothing that is too much trouble for the staff of the Mistral, and visitors are seen as friends, not just clients. This is a perfect base for the solo traveller, it's not run as a singles club, though many people there happen to be on their own. There are trips to out of the way places for those who like to have arrangements made for them, but it is also perfectly acceptable to sit all day in the sun, or to do as I do and go off exploring all day. The evening meals are always a sociable affair with one long table, and lots of Cretan food and wine. This is the only hotel that I have been to in Greece where I immediately feel at home.

3 Thank julietrobson
Arlington, Texas
Reviewed September 25, 2009

I think it will help you while reading this review to know that I am recomending the hotel although I am unlikely to return to it personally. I look for places that cater to solo travelers, so I was intrigued when I came across the Mistral Hotel, and decided to give it a try when I realized that due to singles supplements, it wasn't much more expensive that an all inclusive resort in the Carribean even with the airfare costs, and the idea of going to Greece was cool. To the details:
Pros; The staff was extremely competent and friendly. It's a small hotel, so you get to know people very quickly. The other guests were friendly, and it was a nice mix of people, most but not all of whom were from England. The room was very nice and roomy, and the food was good and plentiful.
Cons: Breakfast was monotonous, with the exact same food every day. The location is out of the way, and you have to take a cab/bus to find much in the way of nightlife, or rent a car, which can be dodgy, as the people in Crete are very friendly but not very conservative drivers.
Things to know: There are no televisions in the rooms, so you'll need to bring or look for other entertainment if you're staying around the hotel ( we had 7 week old kittens to watch). Dinner is cooked in traditional Crete style, so it could be an issue if you don't like that type of food. As this is a fairly small group of guests, info spreads fast about you. A day or two after I arrived, people I met already knew that a Texan (me) was staying there that week.
Bottom line: I had a lot of fun at the Mistral, and met some great people. If you don't have a travel companion, but don't want to be totally on your own, it's an excellent vacation choice. For me, I'm a solo traveler. I like to go my own way and do my own stuff, and while I did enjoy myself, it was a little too much go with the group mode for me.

2 Thank BaronTR
england
Reviewed September 13, 2009

The Mistral Hotel’s misleading promotion of a Single travellers hotel. Please note that couples are allowed to use the hotel (presumably to fill the rooms) on occasions. This can & has led to awkward situations, namely the guy thinks he’s gone to heaven with all the *‘single’ ladies around.

*Single, a vast amount of both men & women turn out to have a partner back home!

This is not a ‘singles’ hotel, but a ‘single travellers’ hotel.

Welcome to a Greek family run hotel…….. Wrong!

More like Bulgarian!
Also employed are Romanian, Hungarian, and Albanian oh and let’s not forget the English receptionist. The chef Vicky (not mama Katerina) is local.

It’s more like a Bulgarian one man show, He’s very good you know, Bartender, Waiter, Mini bus Driver, Cook, Entertainer and will take care of your every need! Not forgetting his mother, Rosita the cleaner.

If it were not for all the returning cliques again this year this place would have struggled to put bums on seats. Some of who seem to think they actually own the place. Controlling the amount of alcohol some guests indulge in and their behaviour wouldn’t go amiss either.

What the Mistral Hotel needs is a Transfusion of new customers, new ideas before it becomes like a members only club.

The service has declined along with the atmosphere although reasonably well booked despite the desolation of Maleme resort as a whole this year.

The obvious cut backs on staffing levels and the relatively average food now being served will have an effect next year.

The most common weeks to avoid if you want to miss the ‘group’ situation are during the school holidays particularly July & August.

The feeling of being ‘ripped off’ at every opportunity springs to mind, the aircon and the never ending over priced trips not to mention the drinks at the bar.

As stated in other reviews the garage next door is a constant problem with noise, paricularly the vacuum hose & car wash facilities not to mention the deisel fumes when enjoying breakfast!

The Mistral Hotel in my view is no longer value for money, I don’t mind paying a higher price for a quality product, but the Mistral Hotel at the moment is past it’s sell by date. It’s a little worn at the edges and needs updating in Ideas and service.

You have been warned.

N.B Building work in progress to rear of Hotel, Building work suspended in front of hotel.

• Stayed August 2009
13 Thank imnosmoking
longhal, Owner at The Mistral, responded to this review, February 13, 2011
Although the review has been answered by other guests of the same weeks, we feel we have to say a few things.
The hotel is promoted as specialising for single travellers and this is what we do. All the emphasis is on the group of singles that we host and very rarely we allow the odd couple to stay but they are not included in the group of our guests and do not set the tone of the atmosphere at the Mistral.
The hotel staff is our biggest strength and we are proud of them whatever country they come from. The Mistral is run by two Cretan brothers. Their parents who are now retired, occasionally turn up on weekends. There are no building works around the Mistral and across the road, an underground water treatment facility has been installed and does not in any way affect views from the hotel.
There is a garage next door but the noise level is not a problem and of course there are no fumes. Bar prices and trips are very competitive and reviewer fails to admit that some trips are exclusive to the Mistral and off the beaten track. There has never been staff cut backs, on the contrary, our services have improved. Home made Cretan cuisine with fresh ingredients from our vegetable garden are referred to, as “average food”. The reviewer does not mention the free cold filtered water supply, free “olivia” toiletries in all rooms, free tea/coffee making facilities in all rooms, free oilve oil and olives to take home, free airport transfers, free pool towels, dietary requirements catered for, personalised service, two pools, jacuzzi and many more personal touches.
The Mistral is operating 17 years with great success thanks to the word of mouth and 45% return rate speaks for itself for the value of money that we offer.
The reviewer had a personalities clash with the rest of the group, did not mix and hense did not enjoy their stay, putting the blame at the hotel.
north carolina
Reviewed September 9, 2009

A friend of mine booked a stay here and after she told me about the place I decided to book too. I was met at the airport by the owner and taken to the hotel. He pointed out interesting things along the way and made me feel welcome. The hotel is lovely. Beautiful grounds, two nice pool areas and nice rooms. My room faced the ocean and I spent some time on the balcony reading, relaxing, having my coffee, and enjoying the view. The Tiki bar beside the pool was a fun place to hang out both night and day. The staff was exceptional. They did everything they could to make my stay pleasant. I went during a walking week. The owner lead us on beautiful trips with a wonderful lunch. He also provided interesting information about Greece from a locals perspective. The walking trips also give you a better opportunity to get to know the other guests. The Hotel also organized extra trips that I was interested in to Samaria Gorge and Santorini, in addition to some trips that they regularly offer. Breakfast was okay, nothing really special, but certainly filling. Dinner on the other hand was very special. It was served family style, with huge platters of wonderful Greek food and plenty of red and white local wine. Dinner was a great time to meet all the other guests. I ordered lunch from the bar several days and it was good. Generally I was out and about by lunch time and would eat at a local restaurant. Most of the guest were from the United Kingdom but there were a few others from the USA, Ireland, and Canada. There was a wide mix of people- young, old, and everything in between, married but traveling alone, people in committed relationships but traveling alone, and of course, single people. The majority of the people there were women. There was a few budding romances occurring but you never felt that meeting other singles was what it was all about. You can catch the local bus to take you to other villages and I really enjoyed exploring Kalimbari (sp?) and Chania. I of course already knew one person, as I was there the same time as my friend, but I wouldn't hesitate to visit on my own as you easily get to know the others. I stayed for two weeks and am glad I did. Those that only stayed one week regretted not staying longer. I was concerned about staying in one spot for two weeks but I had plenty to do to keep me busy. I loved my visit to the Mistral and highly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
4 Thank lovingcarolina
UK
Reviewed June 13, 2009

I stayed at the Mistral from 2nd-9th June 2009, and was collected from the airport along with several other guests; enabling us to get to know each other on the way. The Hotel is situated on the outskirts of Maleme and is situated in a fairly quiet situation. It is smart and modern with lovely dining and seating areas, both at the front and rear with beautiful flower and shrub gardens. My room was clean and comfortable and the staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was fine; there was a lunch menu and food for the evening meal was authentic Greek and freshly cooked each day. The variety of food was amazing - I ate too much - and now having to return to my diet!!! There were organised tours; a good local bus service (bus drivers and conductors skilled in preventing tourists getting lost)! A tiny road-train service to local beauty spots and nearby towns and areas of interest competely accessible.
The group was of mixed-age ranging from twenties to seventies. It was easy to find someone to talk to and after a couple of days most people were on friendly terms and there was even a couple of budding romances. Guests arranged shared- car and local restaurant and sightseeing trips and a good time was had by (mainly) all. We were returned to the airport by The Hotel and many people arranged to keep in contact. I am certainly going back to The Mistral and some Guests have already booked their next stay.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank sheilasworld
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maleme
Louis Creta Princess Beach Hotel
#1 of 31 in Agia Marina
Amalthia Beach Resort
Amalthia Beach Resort
#11 of 110 in Chania Town

Been to The Mistral? Share your experiences!