“"Wonderful food and attention to detail"”
Review of The Mistral

The Mistral
Ranked #1 of 11 Specialty Lodging in Maleme
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I have just returned from The Mistral Hotel and had a "lovely" time. I use quotation marks because most of the guests were from the UK and I picked up some frequently used words from them. I met wonderful people (mostly women and very few men were guests at the hotel). Everyone was so welcoming. Vassilis, Adonis and Donna make sure your stay is perfection. The excursions they provide are great fun and I can't say enough about the delicious food, including a full dinner waiting for me at 11:30 pm when I arrived back from Santorini for a day trip. The weather was beautiful and the hotel was spotless, although a little off the beaten track. I did realize though that after a day of sightseeing, it was nice to come back to the quietness of The Mistral.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Diane H

Reviewed October 4, 2013

I have just returned from The Mistral Hotel after a weeks break in September 2013. I am a returner, having been in October 2012, and the service this year was exceptional.

High praise for Donna, the super efficient, as well as extremely friendly and helpful, hotel manager, Andonis and Vassilis, the two brothers who run everything about the hotel and for whom nothing you ask is every too much, Yorges and Alex who tend the poolside bar and produce awesome cocktails (especially Yorges' special Mojitos!) to all the rest of the staff who help everything run so smoothly behind the scenes.

The food - where do I start! Fantastic breakfasts with everything you could wish for. Fresh Greek yogurt with the most amazing honey and fresh fruit, fresh fruit juices, brushettas, cereals, various breads for toasting, wonderful jams, Greek pancakes and little honey cakes etc etc.... breakfast is such a leisurely affair and last between 8-10am. A lot of us just sat around chatting the outside tables eating and chatting away...so relaxing

Lunches can be purchased at the poolside bar and consist of snacks or full meals etc, all delicious and very reasonable indeed.

Evening meal is the creme de la creme. Dish after dish or the most varied Greek assortment of food, ranging from Greek salads, to potato dishes, bean dishes, casseroles, meat dishes, moussaka and wonderful fish dishes. If you're vegetarian or have an allergy, the staff prepare meal specifically for you. The dishes keep flowing, as does the complimentary wine. You can spend up to 2 hours sat outside around the dinner tables talking and talking and eating... it's wonderful!

The bar comes to life after dinner and people gather and chat/drink/dance. Andonis, one of the brothers, is the resident DJ and has a reluctance to take requests (do persevere and give him a play list and he will play your song choices!) but he is good natured.

The hotel organises trips for the guests if they wish, or the guests can take themselves off to explore. Alternatively, sitting around catching the sun and drifting to the pool bar is some peoples idea of heaven. There is something to suit everybody

The only issue I had with my week is that you cannot guarantee a healthy mix of men and women. Whilst this is not a dating holiday, and is purely for people who travel alone and do not want to stay with couples or children, it would have been nice to have a better ratio of men to women. We had around 30 women and only 3 men. Obviously, you have to turn up and take whatever company is there. After the first couple of days, little groups do tend to form, but everybody does intermingle and chat to different people, especially around the evening meal.

All in all, excellent value for money. Staff are awesome and totally helpful, the scenery is good and Chania town is only a 20ish minute bus ride away in fantastically comfy coaches with air conditioning. Seeing Chania town is a must with it's beautiful windy cobbled streets, old buildings and excellent tavernas/restaurants. Lit up at night it is simply stunning.

Room Tip: The back rooms, behind the main hotel, around the courtyard are quieter as they are not in the vicin...
2  Thank spiciestscarab
Reviewed September 29, 2013

I returned from my holiday at the Mistral on 24th September 2013 to a rainy Manchester. It was also raining and cold when I left Manchester on the 17th of September.As soon as I was collected at Chania airport I could feel myself relaxing.This was my 5th return to The Misteral and sadly may be my last The recession has finaly caught up with me and I am quite sad. The very first time I went to the Mistral I was aprehensive because it was the first time I had gone on holiday on my own. I need not have worried it is the most friendliest place on earth. I have gone back and met some of the same people each time and some new people. I can join in as much as I want or be on my own if I want to. I joined more trips and activities this year to store up more memories for the future. If not next year I hope to return soon

Reviewed September 27, 2013

I really enjoyed my week at the MIstral. It was very happy and relaxed with wall to wall sunshine. A friendly group of people as it was my first stay. Vassillis Adonis and Donna made my stay exceedingly easy with plenty of information so that one could find out all about the surrounding places to visit. Vassillis is an exceedingly generous host providing the most gourmet dinner every night. Thoroughly enjoyed the wine tasting session which had delicious 'mopping up' food to soak up the alcohol. Trip to Knossos was interesting but took rather a long time by bus.! A very big thank you to all the staff.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are large and sunny
Reviewed September 26, 2013

As one of just a handful of guys amongst a hotel full of women this particular week-a number of whom had returned several times (which imposes inevitable consequences on some aspects)-it was a little daunting on arrival.However the room was well designed and comfy,the facilities spotless,the service and staff genuinely happy and helpful and Vassilis even gave up his birthday to ensure we were looked after on the trips we made.Donna ensured a friendly and personal welcome throughout and Adonis endured the late nights we imposed at the bar virtually every night of cocktail fuelled dancing.Drinks and lunches were reasonable and it would have been easy never to leave this hotel apart from the fact that there are some good trips and things of interest to do-if you feel inclined of course-and due to the intimate nature of just 30+ rooms inevitably friendships were made which would last beyond a few days round the pool.A.great team, good food,sunshine -and certainly a feeling of safety for the ladies who might hesitate if on their own.What else can you expect in Greece which I continually return to -and will do again.

Room Tip: My room overlooked the pool and bar at the front so could be a tad noisy if you didnt want to stay u...
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Just arrived home yesterday and HAD to write and say what a wonderful week I had! This was my third visit and, if anything, it just gets better each time! Vassilis, Adonis, Donna and all their staff make everyone so very welcome, you feel like part of the family. The food and wine add to the whole experience! If you are single, and would like a holiday with other singles, then I would recommend the Mistral in Crete unreservedly.
I have already booked for next year!

Room Tip: If you want a quieter room have one of the Deluxe rooms at the rear of the main building. The other...
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I have just returned from another great week at The Mistral In Crete. This was my 5th time there and it was superb. Vassilis and his staff look after everyone there so wonderfully. Whether or not it is your first time or you are one of the regulars everyone is so friendly and makes you feel right at home from the moment you arrive in Crete. The food is excellent and you get a real taste of fantastic Greek dishes freshly made. The hotel is beautiful and kept very clean and the rooms are spacious with some lovely views across the sea. Peaceful with a great atmosphere. Especially enjoyed the Greek night which Vassilis put on with his family at the hotel, You can wander around the local town of Chania and villages on your own or make friends quickly and join others on the many trips available. I will definitely be going back again next year.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quiet and have some lovely views
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maleme
Louis Creta Princess Beach Hotel
#1 of 12 in Kolymbari
Minoa Palace Resort
Minoa Palace Resort
#1 of 68 in Platanias

Been to The Mistral? Share your experiences!