“Fantastic food and nice service”
Review of Black Lantern

Black Lantern
Ranked #2 of 15 Restaurants in Maleme
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 15, 2012

This restaurant has been the best we have tried so far in and is a stones throw from our hotel. On first glance at the menu it seemed a mixture of cultures which was not what I was looking for. A range of dishes varying from chilli con crane, roast meats and more traditional Cretan Faye means that even if you have slightly fussy eaters in your group then there is likely to be something for everyone. I chose sweet pepper salad with cheese to start and my husband had the village sausages. Both came with generous portions of salad and were very nice indeed. For mains I chose the meatballs which came with spaghetti and my husband had a chicken breast wrapped in parma ham and stuffed with Brie. It was served with potatoes, cauliflower and other veg. Both dishes were lovely. A complimentary creamy dessert to share and some raki sweetened with honey finished the meal. We were both too full but the food was fab and we will return later in our holiday though may give the starters a miss next time as the main courses are plenty..

2  Thank Moo192

Reviewed September 7, 2012

I have been visiting this taverna regularly over the past five years whilst living on Crete. I have never been disappointed with the quality of the food or the size of the portion served to me. Whether the Sunday roast has been Beef, Pork, Lamb or Chicken, you would think that you were sitting in a restuarant in England and not on Crete. Many congratuations to Graham, who runs a superb taverna and I can honestly say that I miss Graham's roasts since returning to the UK to live earlier this year

2  Thank Nick M
Reviewed August 31, 2012 via mobile

In Maleme as I write and have eaten here twice so far and will definately be going back several times in our Holiday. Huge menu and great food at good prices. Complimentary dessert and raki to finish. Can't beat it so far :-) (closed on a Tuesday)

2  Thank mauritiusbride
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We visited the Black Lantern over the last week and we really loved the food. It's all cooked beautifully and the owner is really keen to serve the best food in Maleme. The owner is really entertaining and made the whole family welcome. He even ordered extra things in to meet our requirements - namely Guinness for the father in law!!!

In a difficult climate this restaurant is doing all the right things! Keep going and we will visit again.

3  Thank Madness2012
Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

We are not normally ones for going ok holiday and eating English food, however this food in this place is superb......and I mean all of it! Over the two weeks we stay we go about 3 or 4 times every year and it never fails to impress. Graham is an excellent and host and cook, can't wait to go back next year....as always.

2  Thank lou4406