“great holiday,we weren't disappointed !!”
Review of Petra Mare

Petra Mare
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Ierapetra
Reviewed May 21, 2009

We have just returned fron a 2 week all inclusive holiday at the Petra Mare hotel. We travelled as a family with 2 adults and 4 children aged 10 , 8 , 2 and 4 months. Our transfer to the hotel was approx. 1 hr 45 , in a modern air conditioned coach. the journey was nowhere near as bad as I had expected it to be.

On arrival at the hotel, check in was speedy and professional,we were in our room within 10 minutes. The receptionists all spoke good english and were friendly and helpful.

We had a large family room with a sea view and huge balcony. There were 2 double beds ,a single and a sofabed. The room was basically furnished but suited us and there was a fridge which worked very well. There are safety deposit boxes in the room , which cost 15 euros per week to use. Maid service was daily, with linen and towels changed a couple of times a week. There were plenty of towels provided for the size of our family. You cannot take them out of the room, as in most hotels,so take your own beach/pool towels.

The food was excellent. Plenty of choice at all meal times, which was freshly prepared. lots of fruit and salad available. We enjoyed the cakes and desserts very much !!
the snack bar by the pool was open from 10 am , and also had a selection of fresh food - pasta , pizza , chips , cake , fruit , bread, cheese etc which you could help yourself to.

The pool has been tiotally replaced for this year. The waterslides which featured in last years brochure have been taken down. The adult pool is beautiful , only downside is the depth, I couldn't stand up in any part except the jacuzzi bit and I am 5 ' 6 . The childrens pool is fantastic . It has a pirate ship with slides etc. My boys loved it.

We used the First Choice kids clubs and creche a lot and I couldn't fault them. The creche is payable but it was worth every penny !!!

All the first choice entertainers and kids clubs reps work extremely hard to entertain everyone. We enjoyed both the evening and daytime activities.

The town of lerapetra was very disappointing, very run down with graffitti everywhere. Such a shame ! The supermarkets and shops were very expensive. I would recommend taking enough nappies and wipes with you if you have small children as they were extortionate !

Overall, I would recommend this holiday and we will probably return in a year or 2 :-)

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed May 20, 2009

we have just come back from 2 week there, n we thought it was fantastic. the entertainers were brilliant n always helpful. there was always night time entertainment for all the family n late entertaiment for the for adults. the entertainers especially LUKE, FREDDIE, LEANNE and DEBBIE were always on hand if u needed anything, or just to make you smile. i would recommend this hotel to couples wanting a nice holiday or familys. " GOOD TIMES"!!!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 18, 2009

Excellent family value for your money for my young family not much for teenagers

Ideal for young family’s who just wont to stay in one place as all the trips are quite a trek

Transfer from the airport was nearly 2 hours quite long after the flight with small kids

Me and my family of 5 have just got back from this All inclusive hotel and looking at the reports before I went I was concerned but pleasantly surprised on arrival.

All the pools and play areas have just been modernised to a five star standard. The staff are the best from the hotel staff to the First Choice staff and entertainers, all young lively people put on a really good show for us.

The food was a little repetitive but nice all the same plenty to chose from and you can like all, all inclusive can eat as much as you like (so be prepared to put on some weight

The pools where excellent in the stile of a pirate ship and other things the large pool for the adults had a panoramic view which was excellent

Down side which is no fault to first choice or the hotel
beach no sand
quite far from any day trips
overprices items in the hotel shop etc..

Irapetra Crete like most places in the world has gone very expensive all the shops have put their prises up and like turkey the shop and restaurant people are competing for your custom so you are getting badgered to buy or eat their.

If like me I don’t like that and some what puts me off going in their shops restaurants

I eaten out at one place had three salads two kids meals and 5 bottled water drinks and it came to 55 Euros which is madness it was like eating at the Hilton hotel but in you average place it was like this all over no holiday barges to have the EU has ruined changed the holiday experience for duty free and shopping

Overall I would go back to the hotel feel is was a lovely safe place for me and my family

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank chrisr1234
Reviewed May 16, 2009

we went 6 of us my hubby my dad and my 3 kids. really lovely hotel was not aware about the family incident when we stayed here so it did put us off, food great take some large pint cups as they only provide coffee cup size for beer and all. food nice staff great clean only 5 min walk accroos the beach to the town with all bars and shops paly area for kids. all happy 4 out of 5 . oh yer and the jet ski r fabarooney!! and all pools are great xx

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed March 1, 2009

I think it would be safe to say that me and my friends were left disapointed, The holiday reps that were there were terribly unhelpful, offered no advice on trips, medical advice for a girl who was unwell and were never there! There is no night time entertainment and the nearest pub is a 15 min walk across a dark beach! The food is ok but is very repetative. I would not reccomend this hotel for young people or young adults as there is nothing to do!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
4  Thank claracluck89
Reviewed November 9, 2008

we have just returned from a weeks holidat at petra mare, crete. id read a few reviews before going and felt i had to leave one personally. everything about our stay there was excellent. hotel very clean rooms spacious and well kept. food was okay with a wide range of choices to suit all. hotel staff were all very friendly and the weather was fantastic 26deg-32 which for end of oct was more than we could have hoped. we would recommend this hotel as we all had a great time. kids made friends leaving us time to relax and enjoy the sun.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed November 8, 2008

Well this is the second year that we have been to this hotel, last year we went for a week and loved it, so we thought we'd go for two..its amazing, ignore all the bad reviews especially the last one..the hotel staff are lovely, I guess the person who wrote that review doesn't smile at people! Also there is no graffiti , there are three kids clubs , two english and one German, the German kids club room has childrens paintings and writings on the wall which is what I am guessing the last person thought was graffiti.
The hotel is immaculatly clean, the staff are always mopping the floors etc, rooms are cleaned and beeding made/changed daily, with fresh towels and toilettries.
The water park is great, something for everyone, with 3 big slides and smaller slides for toddlers in thier own pool, however I have been told by the first choice staff that the outdoors is to be totally refurbished for next season, they are moving the pools about and redesigning them, also they are moving the stage and kids clubs about too.
The hotel is classed as a three star in England but 4 star in Crete, we have stayed in 5 star hotels as well as other 3 and 4 stars, when choosing a hotel we tend to go for facilities and location, anyway my point being is that the cleanliness of this hotel is just as good as the 5 star in Florida we stayed at in Disney, obviously it could do with a bit of a lick of paint here and there but you know its still lovely in its own right.The food is really nice with something for everyone, specials everynight, also over 15 desserts to choose from and prob the same amount of salads, childrens menu good. The snakc bar is just great as its there on tap!
If you go in October like we did then you'll find it nice and quiet with no lounger snatchers lol! Also the temperature was in the 30's ..the sea is gorgeous, pure clear water which you just float in , really bouyant (prob spelt wrong oops!) , great for snorlekelling too! IT IS NOT A SHINGLE BEACH! It is a grey sand beach with some shells near edge of teh sea, there are a copule of rocks in wtaer but not jagged edge ones just smooth raised bumps but as the water is so clear you can easily see these, sea is like bath water so warm!
Sea view definately worth having! Just didn't want to come home!
trip to Chrissi Island well worth it, the reps are fantastic, Rockin Ryan is world class and off to Bulgaria next year so we might try that! Choclate Eclair and Magic Megan are staying on so we might even go back here as they were fab too.
We went with our 4 daughters ages 8,6,4 and 2!
As for the cats...well the Greeks worship cats so don't visit if you don't like em...we love them and they are well looked after with gorgeous glossy coats very friendly too but won't bother you if you don't call them, there were about 6 around the hotel (they don't come inside).
Dogs over in Crete are pretty much treated like cats , ie. allowed to roam around freely out and about of their homes, some are stray, very cute though .
Would def go back to this hotel, just loved it loved it loved it!!! Beach water sports excellent too!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)