“Great food, atmosphere needs work”
Review of THE MEXICAN

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Port Coquitlam, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food, atmosphere needs work”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I will start off saying my boyfriend and I loved the food. Very tastey. I have been to Mexico and southern states and have tried the Mexican and I am NEVER satisfied by it. This has to be in the top 2 Mexican places I have ever been to. I had the tostadas and my boyfriend the quesadillas (con carne). The music in there could use with a bit better Latin/Mexican influence (I am pretty sure a lot of the songs were redone by no name artists) we went around lunch so that could be part of the atmosphere issue. I had the sangria which is fantastic. If you have eaten here and did not enjoy your meal you probably ordered the wrong thing. Mexican food is not about plain chicken.. It's about the flavours in their beef and the spice with tortillas whether soft, pan fried or deep fried for chips and taco bowls/shells. Try anything "con carne" and you should leave satisfied. Wish we had more time here so we could go back!!

• Greek first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Very tasty mexican food”
Reviewed May 27, 2012

We were a little concerned after the mixed reviews, but we were happy we visited this Mexican in the centre of Heraklion. The menu had what we would expect from a Mexican - Enchiladas, Burritos, Fajitas etc with combo platters adding to the mix. The starters we had - Chilli Rellenos - were very tasty and the Enchilladas for main came with rice and sweetcorn - not quite what you would expect, but it was very nice. The Sangria was cheap and went down well. Service was without fault.

• Visited May 2012
Heraclion
“The best mexican restaurant in Heraklion...”
Reviewed June 2, 2011

... but that doesn't mean much because it might as well be the only one! There have been some others from time to time but they were either not that impressive - their flavors were borderline traditional *Greek* rather than the ethnicity customers go through their doors for, and the quality average.

But as for the Mexican? It's good. The staff is friendly and the menu, while not too extensive, offers a bit of a choice for everyone. I've dined there a few times and never left anything but satisfied with both the service and the flavors I tasted.

The sangria is good, too; in fact my wife insists that we go there specifically for it from time to time. The side dishes are interesting and compliment the main courses well.

Prices are a little high but nothing extraordinary - lower, in fact, when compared to other exotic (?) cousines to be found elsewhere in the city. There's even a delivery service for those who prefer to eat at home.

All in all if you've a craving for mexican food, this is a decent place to go.

• Visited February 2011
Cologne, Germany
“A fake Mexican far away from Mexico”
Reviewed August 17, 2010

I am used to get to "mexican" restaurants only to find Tex-mex food. This is normal but sometimes it goes too far.
The food is not bad, it is tasty, the ingredients are OK and fortunately we did not had any problems as other have reported.
It is simply not mexican, not even Tex-Mex . Imagine a burrito o fajitas without beans. We had a Chicken fajitas and we got a fair sized portion with Tortillas de harina, a good rice and some canned corn. No bean, no sauces, no avocado. I had a combo and someone else a burrito
I mean it tasted good but not mexican. If you had enough cretan food you have here an alternative.

New York City
“The Worst Mexican Wana Be Resturant”
Reviewed May 18, 2010

We just dined there last night 5/18/2010

1) Ordered a volka with soda that is on the menu, no one new what that was, even after pointing to the drink on their own menu and sharing the menu with their staff. No Biggie so ordered a margarati and it was not bad, so so.

2) They do not give you chips and salsa, but you have to order them for 4E, taste like chinese egg noodle chips. Not bad if you wanted chinese egg noodle chips !

3) Ordered an enchalaia and burito combo, tasted anything like mexican, kind of like an cooking expierement that didn't turn out too bad but you wouldn't charge money for it.

4) My Partner ordered plain broiled chicken with no spices on it as she has her food plain.
The chicken wasn't cooked, so she got food posiening and has been throwing up all night ruining our plans to tour south crete today

I don't understand how people rated this restruant one of the top 3 in Heraklion

I live in New York City and been to Mexcio on several occassions.

The fodf in this place wasn't even close never mind good or even cooked.

Note: Enjoy Greek, Middle Eastern, Italian food when in Greece