“Loved this church..”

370 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 648 helpful votes
“Loved this church..”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I love this church.. We had the local taxi drivers take us to their favorite historical site.. It was this church. It was beautiful inside and it is right near the market. The back of the church near the rectory was actually hit by a bomb during the fighting in WW ll. I have some pictures of the inside

Visited August 2011

18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Breathtaking!”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Amazing experience. A little hard to find without a map. Church is by market. Beautiful paintings on all of the ceilings and walls. Really breathtaking. Bring cover for shoulders and legs to be respectful.

Visited July 2012
2 Thank melg0412
Heraklion, Greece
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Impressive”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

This, over one hundred years old , impressive cathedral is a classical example
of the byzantine architectural style.
It Is one of the biggest churches in the Balcans.
Excellent inside decoration with byzantine style frescoes

Visited June 2012
Virginia Beach
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 101 helpful votes
“Fabulous frescoes.”
Reviewed June 2, 2012

Take the time to visit this cathedral. The frescoes are quite modern and very beautiful.

Visited May 2012
Brisbane, Australia
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Awesome church that almost got bombed during the war?”
Reviewed March 28, 2012

Awesome church that almost got bombed during the war? I'm not sure this is the name of the church actually, but if this review does interest you, then please try to locate the church I am referring to. It's just on the outskirts of the main shopping market in Crete. There are lovely cobblestone streets, with many beautiful shops. I didn't visit in March 2012 but the"Trip Adviser" drop down menu did not give me the choice of when I visited, which was during February 2004. The church isn't much to look at from the outside but has some lovely old wooden doors but it had spectacular decorations inside and I felt like a really holy, peaceful place. My Australian girl friend who I met up with in Greece and whose husband comes from Crete took me and her children to visit the markets where we had some unusual Greek pancakes and an ice cream and I saw slaughtered goats (with their head still attached) hanging along the sidewalk next to clothes, buttons and dress materials and shoes and so many different cheeses which might sound horrible but it was fantastic to see how other countries and people do things different to us in Australia. Next we went to see the church and I was so glad my friends shared the experience with me. She explained that during the war a bomb was dropped and it landed in the middle of the church but did not explode. It is now on display just outside the church (disarmed of course!) outside the church. A lovely little bit of ancient history and I guess is proof that miracles do happen!

Visited March 2012