El Greco Hotel
Good 3.5/5
Hotel Kreta(Heraklion)
Atrion Hotel(Heraklion)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsbasic hotelvisit knossosair conditionrestaurants and barsvenetian portbooked this hotelcentre of townperfect locationwalking distancearchaeological museumiraklioneurosbalcony
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Most of the comments below are spot on. El Greco has a great location. From the outside, it looks like a nice hotel, but inside it’s kind of old and dirty (not dirty as in odors or roaches and stuff, but just dusty and deteriorated).

Actually, we randomly stumbled into this hotel late at night.

(Context: My wife, two young kids and I arrived at the Heraklion airport on August 5th and there was a big taxi strike so we couldn’t get to the hotel we booked. Nobody at the airport offered any info. We finally found a bus station, a driver gave us bad info, took us into the center of town and we walked around aimlessly for help. By around midnight, we gave up trying to get to our booked hotel and just walked into this one because it happened to be in front of us.)

I can’t comment on the food and facilities because all we did was sleep there, wake up and leave. But I will say that, as soon as we got into our rooms late at night, we were desperate for showers (having flown for five hours, then wandered around the city for four more). But surprise: no hot water! I called the front desk and the guy said they must’ve run out for the day and that there will be some tomorrow morning (they only run their hot-water heaters at night to save money). So we took ice-cold showers (torturous for my young kids) and went to bed.

As a side note: the elevators there are terrifying! We only noticed it the next day, but there is no gate or guard that closes to separate the interior from the shaft. So, as you ride up and down, you literally see the doors of each floor pass by you. And to top it off, the elevators are very tiny. It wouldn’t take much for someone’s scarf to stick out a little and get snagged by something on the outside. And to think, my three-year-old daughter, who loves to grab everything, rode in it at night without any of us noticing this issue. I’m not sure what kind of safety standards these people are required to comply with, but they must be in violation of something.

Like I said, the location is great. El Greco is in the heart of the city, which has to be very convenient.

If I were still 20 years old and broke and just wanted a place in the city to crash after a night of binge drinking, El Greco would probably do the trick. For anything other than that, however, it’s probably better to look elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 8, 2011

I stayed in this hotel on May for 2 nights. I have nothing good to write about this hotel. Really very bad service, maybe worse than I ever could imagine. I was never going to write anything about this hotel, but the behaviour of a receptionist made me really nervous. Very bad and dirty rooms, very old furniture and also, on the bathroom there was a broken old mirror, that nobody thought of replacing it and also,on the shower there were small black spots everywhere , smelling very unpleasant. Everywhere there was dust and the room service did not do anything about that. They just replaced the sheets on the second day and they put toilet paper. That's all!!
On the day we made check- out, when we asked the receptionist about the reason that nothing worked well, she just told us that we had to inform the hotel service for these problems!! I am sure that we weren't the first unpleasant customers, because the dirt seemed to be old and also everytime we asked for our key when we returned to the hotel, the receptionists were looking at us as 2nd category customers and I think not only us , but most of the customers!
The only good thing does not have to do with the hotel, but with the location. The hotel is really at the center of the city and we could go everywhere very easy. The inhabitants and the staff in every store was really very friendly and helpful.
Much better to find another hotel with the same money.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2011

The very good thing about this hotel is the location because it is close to the port , to the shops and to the stop where you take the bus to Knossos. Without doubt, the worst thing was the ensuite bathroom: as there was no screen everything got wet when you took a shower (though there was no showerhead, either). Apart from that, the room was OK. Breakfast was not remarkable.There was a PC downstairs and you could buy a card to use it. All in all the hotel was a convenient choice for a short visit to Heraklion.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 23, 2011

The hotel was used for an overnight stopover. Was in the central town and close to all in Heraklion town. The room was average size and clean. The breakfast was terrible and the staff not friendly at all. If you went back for second helping at breakfast you were glared at. The hotel also did not use all their available lighting, so very dark in the hallways and in the breakfast room. Overall this hotel was good as it was in a good city area and served as a comfortable overnight stop.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 12, 2010

Paid for the location but the whole place smelt like ciggarette smoke while other hotels seemed to manage. The bathrooms were aweful, no screen or showerhead!!
Friendly people!