“Limited menu & service”

Description: close to paltia agiou dimitriou
Description: close to paltia agiou dimitriou
“Limited menu & service”
Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

We went to this restaurant twice during our stay in Crete, largely because my partner loved the sardines he had the first time. But I found the menu very limited - most of the dishes on the list were unavailable on both occasions - although the food that was available was ok. My main complaint is that I was unable to get a coffee on either night, despite this also clearly being on the the menu. Apparently, they were too busy to make it. I found this both inexplicable and very annoying, especially as most other restaurants in the area where we might have got a coffee were either closed or full by the time we left.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Margaret W

• Greek first
Newton, Massachusetts
“Great family taverna”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

This is a family restaurant, and the food shows great care. The mussels were fabulous, and the rest of the meal was very good. As with other eateries on Crete, we were amazed to have such a good meal for the price.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank chopsgma
Beaconsfield, United Kingdom
“excellent and economical”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Food was very fresh,simple and unpretentious. Service was prompt and friendly. Patronised by the locals, always a good sign. Portions were generous and the manager gave us free dessert and liqueur. Outside terrace was pleasant and sheltered despite being a rather windy evening. One of the few restaurants in the area where we were able to stand outside and peruse the menu without the proprietor pouncing on us and trying to get us inside.

• Visited April 2013
“Best meals in Heraklion and possibly Greece!”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

My wife and I ate here twice during our stay in Crete. We decided to wander away from the busy and dodgy looking restaurants close to the water and hit the jackpot with Katsinas.

Katsinas is run by a mother and son and has been operating for 20+ years. The meals are genuine traditional Greek dishes that have luxurious home cooked flavours. We had dolmades (stuffed pumpkin leaves) that were the best dolmades I have ever had (I'm hoping my wife's Greek family never read this) and i had the fried "local" fish which tasted amazing, the fries were large and freshly cut potatoes that had delicious flavour. They also brought out an unexpected free desert (custard pie) that was out of this world and ouzo shots.

On our second visit we had lamb chops and grilled meat balls (which were actually patties) and again were shouted a desert and ouzo. The meals again were the best we have had during our stay in Greece, and the prices were far below what we expected and what we thought they deserved!

I can't say enough good things about this restaurant and would recommend anyone travelling through Crete/Heraklion to try it. As long as you can stand the company of a few cats you will love it as much as we did!

Prague, Czech Republic
“lucky find”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We stoped there for a lunch during our trip to Heraklion, we found it almost full with locals so we thought it was good place to have lunch a wasn´t mistaken. The food was delicious and atmosphere was lazy greek. though we waited almost an hour to our meal it was worth it. Friendly staff, nice windy day, no stress ahead of us. We spent really nice time there. Fresh fish on the menu for a reasonable price. As almost everywhere in Greece we were acompanied by nice rougue cat we almost adopted there:))) I would come back next time if there will be one...

• Visited September 2012