“Better than Galaxy”
Review of GDM Megaron Hotel

GDM Megaron Hotel
Ranked #1 of 58 Hotels in Heraklion
Reviewed April 27, 2014

On opposite ends of a trip to Santorini, we stayed one night at the Megaron Hotel and another at the Galaxy Hotel. The Megaron hotel was hands-down the better choice.

The room felt very luxurious, and the breakfast was better than just about any other I've had that's part of a standard rate - a rate that was very reasonable.

The staff went out of their way to assist us, and the venue that was recommended for lunch (Ippokampos) was the best meal we had on the entire trip.

This was a great hotel, would absolutely recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank RyanG8
megaron, Manager at GDM Megaron Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Dear RyanG8,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful experience. We are pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you also for your kind comments about our rooms, the breakfasts and our team, they are all delighted that they were able to make you enjoy your stay and hope to see you soon again.
The GDM Megaron is not only very well connected for travelling but it also offers acces to the city center, the harbour and the best museums, only a 5 minutes walk from the hotel.

Best regards.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,012)

Reviewed April 17, 2014

This is the best hotel that I stayed in Crete. Absolutely surprising, the service was remarkable and up to the standard of Four Seasons and St Regis. I've stayed in mostly either Four Seasons and St. Regis whenever I travel, thus I was surprised to find such a high level standard in Crete. The staffs are well-trained, the two that really stood out to me were Effi and Katerina, they made sure my friend and I had a perfect stay. Additionally, I asked them to assist me in mailing a souvenir I bought, they arranged everything, packaged everything so well ; even i was surprised that by the time i reach the US, the package itself has arrived! Honestly, I am also impressed by the breakfast buffet, I've been to around 30 countries total staying in the most luxurious establishments and I have to say - this place has the best breakfast buffet I've ever had. I felt like I was charlie at the chocolate factory! 30 different kinds of desserts, delicious cretan breakfast. Absolutely impressed! this hotel was the highlight of my stay in Greece. The staffs (Effi & Katerina) were so well-trained. Absolutely amazing! Can't wait to come back! been telling all my friends about this gem in Crete!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank R S
megaron, Manager at GDM Megaron Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2014

Dear R S,

We are thrilled to read that you had such a good experience with us and thank you for posting this wonderful review following your stay, it was truly a pleasure to have you stay with us!
It is wonderful to hear your kind comments about our staff members, especially Effi and Keterina, and we are delighted to hear you enjoyed our breakfast offering. Your recommendation means a lot to us, we are grateful for your support.
Thank you for choosing the GDM Megaron Hotel and I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed April 5, 2014

We stayed for only one night in this modern and stylish hotel and were delighted to have been upgraded to a Suite. It was spacious, very clean and even had 2 televisions! Every member of staff was welcoming, helpful and very polite. I have never seen such a wide range of breakfast foods - delicious. A most enjoyable stay - we look forward to returning and highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alison182013
megaron, Manager at GDM Megaron Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

Dear Alison182030,

It is always greatly appreciated to read that the service we strive to deliver is recognised.
Thank you for your review and recommending the hotel, as well as your compliments concerning The GDM Megaron Hotel, the abundant breakfasts and the friendly service.

Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

The hotel fulfilled our expectations for a relaxing weekend. We were upgraded as far as the room was concerned, at a VIP port view. It was quite, spacious with great view.The staff was great! Very polite, helpful and smiley. We had one of the best breakfasts. It was important (to me for sure) that everything they offered was handmade by hotel's cooks. Their buscuits and cakes were just exquisite!!! Megaron will be our choice whenever in Heraklon.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear lidi A,

Thank you so much for this amazing review. We are very pleased that your stay was so enjoyable.
We believe that it is the little touches (such as making our own cookies and cakes) that make the difference and we are delighted that we were able to make your stay so memorable. We are delighted also that you found our team and service to be so exceptional.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Warm regards.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

There's a very long list of good things about this hotel, and one bad one--the smoke in the restaurant. But, hey, that does not distinguish it from the whole island. And that said, everything else was just tops, especially the helpfulness and cheerfulness of the staff. It is said that some hotels lay off staff and make do with scrappy substitutes in the off season. It surely is not the case here. The room was luxurious and intelligently laid out; my wife says the bath was the best she's seen in a hotel; the view is just wonderful; the neighborhood is quiet, the bed comfortable.. Full marks. When will someone be brave enough to just stop indoor smoking in Greece? Mike Bloomberg for Prime Minister.

Room Tip: Go wild. Get a suite. You can't do better than Room 304.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RobinClem
megaron, Manager at GDM Megaron Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Dear RobinClem,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences following your stay. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and particularly our staff, as well as the hotel itself and considered us "Tops"! I will make sure to share your review with the whole team.
Thank you also for bringing the issue you experienced during your stay to our attention, which was the matter of smoking in a part of the restaurant, and please be assured that this issue will be addressed.

Thanks again for a lovely review and we look forward to welcome you back again soon to GDM Megaron Hotel.

Warm regards.

Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

As a business traveller all around Greece this is my favorite hotel to stay in. Where do I begin, the excellent bed, the friendliest staff, the delicious breakfast, parking, the list can keep going on. The hotel is a 10 minute walk from the old town and right by the port of Heraklion. It well deserves it's ranking on TripAdvisor.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
megaron, Manager at GDM Megaron Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at The GDM Megaron Hotel
It was a pleasure to look after you and we are delighted you enjoyed our location, the welcome, warmth and service from our staff. Thank you for taking the time to write about us and for your personal recommendation, this means a lot to us. We hope it wont be long before we can welcome you back to your favorite hotel.
Best regards

Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel in June with my wife. The room was enough large for two and clean. The slippers were provided in the room and this slipper is very comfortable to wear and I am still using this to wear at the business hotel. Receptionists were friendly and helpful and I will stay at this hotel at the next visit to Heraklion.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for choosing The GDM Megaron Hotel. Thank you also for sharing your positive review, we know it’s all the little touches that make a difference to our guests. We hope it won’t be long before you return to us.
Best regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Heraklion
Lato Boutique Hotel
#16 of 58 in Heraklion
Casa Delfino Hotel & Spa
Casa Delfino Hotel & Spa
#3 of 111 in Chania Town

Been to GDM Megaron Hotel? Share your experiences!