“Highly recommend :)”
Review of GDM Megaron Hotel

GDM Megaron Hotel
Ranked #1 of 58 Hotels in Heraklion
Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

My bf and I needed a short 2 night break away and after searching the Internet for hours I chose this hotel for a standard city view room for €236 a great price for a luxury hotel. We arrived about half an hour before check in but this was no problem and we were upgraded to a junior suit with a sea view :) the receptionist was clearly busy but still took time to explain the area to us.

The highlight of our stay was the housekeeping! The room was cleaned in the morning to perfection she had even pulled the hair from my hairbrush and hung my clothes!! Attention to detail was amazing. That night we went out for dinner and when we returned small towls were layed out either side of the bed with slippers on. And the bed..... Oh my goodness you could fit 10 people in comfortably! Haha so comfortable when we arrived we fell asleep for 5 hours! The bathroom soaps were restocked constantly and very nice choices. It seemed every time we left the room housekeeping had popped inside to make adjustments!

The staff were lovely and helpful in the restaurant and the view was romantic, the food was a nice quality and the Greek wine was delicious.

Thankyou for providing us with a wonderful much needed break can't wait to return x

• Stayed: September 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,009)

Reviewed September 10, 2013

This hotel is very beautiful and looks like it caters to executives. My husband and I stayed one night before taking the ferry to Santorini. I is very convenient for the ferries as it is right across the street. The value is quite good and the breakfast the is included in the stay is superb. The roof top pool is nice and has a great view, but is a bit small.
Overall, I would not stay is Heraklion more than one night, as the town itself does not have that much to offer. But, this is a great place to stay for one night before a ferry.
Eat at Lato (another nearby hotel) on the rooftop if open.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Melissa C
Reviewed September 6, 2013

This hotel is located very near the port, so if you are taking a ferry in or out of Heraklion I would strongly suggest this spot. It also is very centrally located; walking distance to shops, museums and waterfront tavernas. The service, in every aspect was 20 out of 10 and the attention to detail was fabulous. The restaurant on the top floor was delicious...just be sure that you point to your desired dish as the waitresses do not understand English very well....but were very gracious nonetheless. The breakfast (included with the hotel) was one of the best we had on our trip....endless variety!! It is truly a gem!

Room Tip: Go for the view of the port...a few euros more but worth it!!
3  Thank 1223LoveTheSun
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This was a perfect choice for a hotel in Heraklion. The room was superb, plus we received an upgrade to a room with a view of the port. The tariff which included a magnificent breakfast was very reasonable.
There was a complimentary bottle of table water in the mini bar which was very much appreciated. We consume so much water in this heat that we are always running out. So that was a nice gesture.
The food at the rooftop restaurant was delicious, reasonably priced and there was a complimentary glass of Raki (sp) as well as a delicious scoop of a chocolate/biscuit mixture to enjoy with coffee. The rooftop restaurant was nice and cool thanks to the breeze up there.
Air conditioning of the room was effective and everything in the bathroom worked well. The shower was divine! Plenty of hot water, fresh towels and complimentary body products. The king size bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept in - better than home!
The location was excellent, 1 minute to the bus stop for Knosses, and the same for out next trip to Chania. The Archeological museum was five minutes away up a gentle hill, a hot walk but easy enough. The busy shopping centre was just next to the museum and there were lots of fun shops to browse in.
Knosses of course was sensational and made even more so by the very capable English speaking guide whose knowledge of the site was extensive.
Staff at the hotel were always polite and helpful, nothing was too much trouble! Everything was beautifully clean.
The rooftop pool was refreshing, small for someone who likes a good swim but enjoyable nevertheless and the view of the port sensational.
There is a small gym, but we were too lazy to use this.
There were complimentary biscuits with every coffee and every meal came with a huge selection of bread, breadsticks and crackers. The Cretan salad was to die for and a meal in itself.
I cannot speak more highly of this establishment and would return without a second thought.

Room Tip: I think any room would be great. Our room had a balcony and a side view of the port. It more than sa...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank TessaThorburn
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I highly recommend this hotel!

The good:

Great service
large spacious rooms
clean and large bathrooms
Modern and stylish decor
great breakfast,
great location

Nothing bad to speak of.

You cannot go wrong with this hotel!

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I have no experience staying in other luxury hotels in Heraklion but my sense is that there are not many choices. I sought the best luxury hotel in Heraklion and chose the GDM Megaron based on Tripadvisor reviews.

The hotel's location is convenient - close to the ocean, the archaeological museum and ground transportation. The airport is less than 10 minutes drive away. Knossos is less than 30 minutes drive (we left early in the morning and you should too to avoid traffic, crowds and Summer heat).

The building has a beautiful 19th century exterior and an updated interior (marble; hard wood floors; modern fixtures and lighting). Our room was quite large, clean and featured high ceilings and a big balcony with views of the Old Harbor, the remains of the Arsenali (warehouses for the Venetian fleet) and the old Venetian fortress of Rocca al Mare -- all of these, illuminated at night, are quite beautiful.

The staff were attentive, warm and conscientious. I had a good experience with the reception in the sense that they were welcoming, sincere and worked hard to help me (getting restaurant reservations; procuring guides and drivers; arranging airline tickets when Aegean unexpectedly cancelled our departure flight). The cookies offered while checking in were very welcome.

The hotel management could make a few improvements in my view. First, although the reception staff was excellent, I think they were understaffed to deal with large groups arriving simultaneously or even a few guests simultaneously needing concierge services (e.g., reservations; guides; drivers). I had the sense, perhaps my mistake, that the concierge and reception were combined functions here whereas in most luxury hotels these are separate functions. Again, I thought the reception was excellent but overtasked. Second, I think the breakfast buffet offering and quality while good was not exceptional, that is, not at the luxury hotel level, at least compared to what one experiences in other luxury hotels in Europe (although perhaps not yet Greece) and Asia. My impression is that the hotel would stack up favorably compared to other local competition but less favorably to international competition.

The hotel has a very small outdoor pool on the roof, which, depending on your point of view is either too small or somewhat cute, closer in nature to an under-heated jacuzzi. The water when we visited this July was unpleasantly cold. I habituated through numbness...and alcohol. The pool also featured something unusual in my experience: glass portholes on the side furnishing underwater views from the outside. I'm unsure the intended purpose of these portals. But I did notice an old man light a cigar and seat himself in a lounge chair facing these underwater glass portals. He affected reading a newspaper. Inside the pool? A young woman in her bikini, swimming, unaware of both portal and man, initially. When she left, he left, separately. As I say, whether this pool is good or bad depends, perhaps literally, on one's point of view.

The views out from the pool area and the adjacent restaurant are very lovely -- the Old Harbor, the old Venetian ship warehouses (Arsenali) and fortress. We witnessed a spectacular sunset here. Nearby, on this top floor, is a pleasant restaurant offering outdoor seating with canopied sun-protection and glass wind-protection (the restaurant faces North and the North winds, known as Etesians or Meltemi, can be quite strong in the afternoons from mid-May to mid-September). We enjoyed a fine moonlit dinner.

I enjoyed my stay here and I would happily return. If you come here, you simply must visit Knossos which I have reviewed separately on Tripadvisor.

Room Tip: Ask for a larger room with a harbor view and balcony.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank LaoDu514
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I will never stop praising this hotel because even if i have been to more than 100 different hotels in my life the GDM MEGARON stands for his name. Once again the staff(even if it was different) is excellent, the food at the restaurant delicious and what can i say about the breakfast?! Only if you have the chance to taste this one of a kind breakfast you can understand why someone wants to get back as soon as possible! Do not hesitate ask for an upgrade! The staff at the front desk can make any dream come true!!

Room Tip: Every room is perfect!!
1  Thank Nef_papadakis
Also consider these accommodations in or near Heraklion
Lato Boutique Hotel
Capsis Astoria Heraklion Hotel
Casa Delfino Hotel & Spa
Casa Delfino Hotel & Spa
#3 of 111 in Chania Town

Been to GDM Megaron Hotel? Share your experiences!