“Very disappointed”

Lato Boutique Hotel
Ranked #5 of 58 Hotels in Heraklion
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I chose the Lato Boutique based upon my travel books recommedation. It was the most expensive hotel I stayed at during my three weeks in the greek island and my least favorite.

We walked into the reception after a long day of traveling by ferry. The receptionist was not very friendly. She asked for our reservation and started working on her computer. We were asking questions about where to find the restaurant, use the wifi and book transportation for the next day. Rather than completing the reservation process with our small group, she asked us to be quiet so she could deal with a walk-in who wanted a room. We had to wait until she finished giving him a new room before she provided us with some basic information. It wasn't a good first impression.

I booked a double room, which ended up being in a separate building on the bottom floor of a busy and noisy street. We didn't get very much sleep that night due to the noise.

The only redeeming virtue of this hotel was the breakfast buffet. It was really yummy with great coffee. Otherwise, I think it is overpriced and not worth the rates.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Korinna_Alexandry, General Manager at Lato Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2012

Dear Dinake,
This is Korina Alexandri, general manager of Lato Boutique Hotel.
Thank you very much for your kind comments concerning our breakfast buffet. Ι also thank you very much for bringing to my attention a very unfortunate and extremely rare incident for our property. It really helped us to identify weaknesses and apply actions to improve them.
Dear guest, the reason I have delayed replying to your review is that I conducted a thorough investigation concerning your stay and particularly about our staff’s attitude issue. I had a personal meeting with all the staff to discuss about what happened and I assure you that from now on, one of our strongest advantages, our personnel, has became even stronger. Your review helped us improve.
All Lato team is very well trained and trying very hard to fulfill expectations and needs, as this is our primary goal.
Dear Dinake, I truly hope to have the chance to provide you our services again in the near future. I would love you to come back in our hotel to give us a second chance.
Concerning your room, I am really sorry for not meeting your expectations. Your booked room type was the standard one, few of which are located in the lower floor of our new wing. We provide several room types, all of which feature identical facilities, equipment and amenities, among which double glazed windows for sound proof.
Most of our room types describe the location of the room in terms of its view. Our superior sea view rooms offer unrestricted views to the Cretan sea and the Venetian harbor. Of course we also offer executive rooms, as well as junior and executive suites acquiring further space, few extra equipment, as well as unique views to the Venetian fortress found in the harbor of Heraklion.
Dear Dinake, guest satisfaction is first priority to us so please accept my personal apologies.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,838)

Reviewed November 18, 2012

The Lato is a perfect hotel. Rooms are very comfortable, with tasteful decoration and good beds. The restaurant is great with very good, cretan food. All the staff is professional, kind and helpful. The location of the hotel is perfect within walking distance of the city center and right next to the old Venetian port. Most of the rooms have a great view and in summer the rooftop restaurant is really special. It is an oasis of peace in a busy city. No critics, not one !

Room Tip: Ask a room on upper floors with view of the port
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed at the Lato for 2 nights. Convenient location. Able to walk to sights, etc. Wonderful food at the rooftop restaurant. We rented a car through the hotel, car was delivered on time, easy return in Hania. Staff was very efficient and accommodating. We would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stayed for one week as a single traveller in October/November and was really so pleased
and more than satisfied with everything the Lato had to offer. The location was terrific, so close to the city, shops, sights etc but also with wonderful views of the Venetian Port. The room was great, so quiet and very comfortable. The breakfast provided was ideal with plenty of choice. I ate in Herbs Garden each evening - the food was delicious with excellent selection of dishes and a lovely setting. The staff were all perfectly charming, friendly and helpful. In all a truly delightful experience which I hope to repeat. I would definitely recommend the hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 2, 2012

It was the first time to visit Crete, and decided to stay there for our honeymoon after reading some very positive reviews.
I booked a superior room for two nights, and one additional night (separate booking) for standard room due to my schedule change. The superior room had a balcony and offered an excellent view of both city and sea. The room was large with nice decoration, and had a comfortable bed.
The staff were so nice and very helpful. Although there was an error with my second booking for a standard room due to a booking system error, they did their best to sort it out, and managed to put us in the same room with no extra charge.
The breakfast was also excellent. It was very tasty, and so many choices. Actually, we stayed two more different hotels in one week, we felt that this hotel's breakfast was the best!
One problem was parking as mentioned by other reviews. I drove again and again around the hotel to find the space, and everytime I ended up asking the hotel staff to park my rental car. Actually, they were happy to help us to find a space.
Also, there are many restaurants in walking distance, and some of them are ranked high by Tripadvisor.
Overall, I was so happy to stay there.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed at the Lato hotel for two nights. Our room was quite modern with a great air conditioning system. There is free wifi and we were able to print tickets at their desktop computer. Breakfasts were quite basic although adequate. We would definitely stay again.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Excellent location, near main transportation, near venetian port.
Excellent buffet breakfast.
I have been a repeater in this hotel for many years. I specially appreciate the kindness and excellent wellcome from the staff. I would definitely come back.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Heraklion
Galaxy Hotel Iraklio
#2 of 58 in Heraklion
Rimondi Boutique Hotel
Rimondi Boutique Hotel
#1 of 175 in Rethymnon

Been to Lato Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!