“Great hotel with excellent service”

Lato Boutique Hotel
Ranked #5 of 58 Hotels in Heraklion
Reviewed October 19, 2012

My wife and I spent a night at the Lato 1 month ago, and had a very positive experience. First, the accommodations were very clean and comfortable. Second, the service was truly outstanding. When we overslept the breakfast, the staff generously accommodated our late arrival and provided a late breakfast. Furthermore, I forgot a jacket in the closet, and the hotel management sent it back to my London flat, without even asking for postage. I was truly taken by this gesture and the overall warmth of the management. I strongly recommend this hotel.

Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

I go to Crete every year. It is one of my favourite places on earth. I visit my favourite places around the island and explore some new spots as well. I have always flown into HER at night and rented a car at the airport. And I always stay at Lato. My first day ever in Crete I woke up in a room facing blue water and sky and the Venetian fortress. I thought: this is the kind of room every tourist dreams of getting. Except I wasn't in a higher priced room, I was in a regular room with waterfront view (essential to book one with a view of the harbour, and so worth it for very slightly more). Every year I've returned the staff always remember me and are very gracious and kind. It's lovely to be so warmly welcomed at the start of my holiday somewhere I love. Also this hotel costs much less than the same kind of hotel would cost in many other cities.

The rooftop restaurant is a wonderful place to have a glass of wine when you first arrive. The complimentary breakfasts at Lato are not to my liking, however. For this reason I did not eat a meal at the rooftop restaurant for the first few years. (Also the English translations on the menu can be inexact so I didn't know what it would really be like.). But the food on the roof is excellent, as I discovered last year. A US congressional committee was having lunch, so I got to see a lot of beautiful dishes being delivered to their table. At the end of the meal someone announced: ladies and gentleman, your plane is waiting. This is where they had their single meal in Crete.

The staff of Hotel Lato are also very generous and full of class. They know how to treat people. Whenever they can, they upgrade me to say thanks for my returning custom. Let me say it now back to them: thank you Hotel.Lato! I really appreciate you and look forward to our next time together!

One more thing: if you like wine Crete has several world class vineyards to visit 15 to 40 mins South of Heraklion. I recommend Boutari, Lyrarakis and Douloufakis.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank HarrietBlanch
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Arrived at late hours we found ourselves at Lato for a night stay only. Lato exceeded our expectations by professionalism, cleanless and comfortability. Extremely helpful staff managed to make us positively feel this place straight away. Hope, next time, we will again arrive late at Heraklion and stay here.

Room Tip: Top floor, anything!
2  Thank IMarco1978
Reviewed October 14, 2012

It took us some time to find it but the hotel was excellent. Very helpful staff, an extensive and tasty buffet breakfast, and a valet service for parking our hire car (which was a real boon because parking was a nightmare in the narrow streets). We also had a small balcony which had a lovely view of the harbour and the venetian castle.. Most important the location was ideal - less than five minutes walk from the Archaeological Museum, the pedestrianised shopping centre, and the harbour, as well as masses of good restaurants. The roof garden offered even more spectacular views but the drinks were rather expensive compared to all the neighbouring places.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Nice location, only 10 mins walk to/from the port and bus stop. We were offered a room in the hotel's new building and we found that the bed is SUPREMELY COMFORTABLE. I think they invest a lot on the high quality beds to ensure that the guests are all happy after spending time outside under the Cretan sun :-)

After all, breakfast is OK. Don't expect too much as the coffee is rather light :-( Talking about the location and the comfort, it's still a good value in Iraklio.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

The location of the hotel is very good, close to everything of interest. The service is very professional, attentive and kind. The room is very clean and comfortable. the breakfast is a buffet of many choices, for vegetarians too. They have a valet service included, therefore you do not have to worry about parking your car. There is a small but very nice spa (jacuzzi, hamam, and beauty therapist, Maria, who is great). Maria can provide a professional massage or beauty treatment. All of them are very pleasant experience. The restaurant at the roof is just wonderful: views, food, wines and service.

Room Tip: we have stayed at a family room, 113. Was a good choice for us.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We arrived at the Lato Boutique Hotel late in the evening and the first view of the hotel with all the lights on was really gratifying. Of all the hotels we stayed at in Greece, the Lato Boutique Hotel was the one that we had the least information on. It turned out to be a nice little gem. Small rooms but very nicely appointed. The shower actually had a shower door and shower head that worked to take a shower. Wonderful view of the harbor. Room safe and mini-bar refrigerator in the room. The included breakfast was very good and included all the expected items in a European Hotel breakfast buffet. The buffet area is a bit crowded when it is busy. Try to take breakfast early. The staff was very helpful and friendly. We loved the location. Just across the street from the port where you could walk either way and enjoy the sites. Minutes from the bus terminal if you want to take a day trip to another city or just catch a bus to the Palace of Knossus. We walked to the palace from the hotel and took a bus back. McDonalds is just 10 minutes walk away. You can walk to the heart of the city in just minutes.
Fabulous view from the rooftop restaurant. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a a sea or port view
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jwkrengel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Heraklion
Galaxy Hotel Iraklio
#2 of 58 in Heraklion
Rimondi Boutique Hotel
Rimondi Boutique Hotel
#1 of 175 in Rethymnon

Been to Lato Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!