“Very friendly, good, basic, city centre hotel”
Review of Iraklion Hotel

Iraklion Hotel
Ranked #17 of 58 Hotels in Heraklion
London
“Very friendly, good, basic, city centre hotel”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I stayed on my own at the Iraklion for two nights, while I was exploring Knossos and the other sites around Iraklion, before heading off to another part of the island, and would recommend it if you are looking for somewhere that's good, basic and central. It's a family run hotel, and the best thing about it is the service, all the staff I encountered were really friendly and welcoming, they do that lovely thing of seeming to really enjoy helping you, and take obvious pride in treating each guest like a family friend. The room I was in was quite small but facilities were all fine, it was good value vs what they charge. Breakfast is never the most high priority meal of the day at Greek hotels, but their breakfast is perfectly decent. You're 5 minutes walk from the bars and restaurants of 25 Avgoustou and Korai, and not much further from the port, which is well worth a stroll around. Also very close to the bus stop from which you can catch the bus to Knossos. It's fairly no frills, I wouldn't recommend it for a longer/relaxing stay, but as a central resting place from which you can explore the city and the sites, it's perfectly fine.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank samlowry1972

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

The staff were friendly and helpful, the location was not too far (within walking distance) from the action and the room was large and clean. I liked the balcony too. My only complaint about this hotel was that there was a stale oder from previous smokers. We were located on the 5th floor with a view of the rooftops. It wasn't the prettiest sight but, not bad for the price.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SoloMe-oTraveler
Vail, Colorado
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We spent four nights at the Iraklion, The room was large and clean, the staff invariably friendly and helpful. Zacarias, the owner, runs his hotel with pride and instills his staff with it as well. It is about 10 easy minutes to the main shopping street with many restaurants, bars and shopping. Google maps shows it in a different location, much closer to the port, so use the physical address to find it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dennis J
Seattle
Reviewed February 20, 2013

My family and I stayed here overnight on our visit to Crete and had a very pleasant stay. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. They had great recommendations for local restaurants and how to navigate the city. It's in a wonderfully convenient location, very walkable to city center where there are many cafes and shops, and to the water. Clean rooms and fast WiFi. Highly recommended to stay here.

Room Tip: From other reviews we requested a room on upper floor and away from street which made for a quiet st...
Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank rugsi
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We took the bus from Crete to Iraklion which was an easy and cheap mode of transportation. Upon arriving at the bus station it's about a 10 min walk to the hotel or you can get a cab. This is a simple, clean, business style hotel that is located close to the port and other places in town and restaurants. We picked up our ferry tickets from the office (5 min walk from the hotel). The breakfast is standard and the staff can help you with basic questions. Stayed here in Sept. 2011.

Room Tip: Sea view room is pretty good.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Apu D
Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

I'm travelling around Europe for three months so everything I do and every place I stay has to be in a budget.

I stayed here for five days and it was a simple gem. For the price you got exactly what you paid for, a simple room with a bathroom and television. It has a desk and wardrobe to hang clothes if you want. They were nice enough to put me on the fifth floor in the direction of the ocean so i had a beautiful view from the balcony.

I came by boat from Athens and arrived at the hotel at 6am. Check in isn't until 12pm. They were nice enough to let me take a nap in another room until 12 and then I was able to check into my actual room. It was perfect as I was tired.

Room service is inconsistent. The third day two ladies came pounding at my door asking if I needed room service.. Well at that point I was over it and found the towel cabinet so have been taking my own towels. Then another day someone came storming into my room while I was sleep. No knock no warning. I told her I was fine and didn't need the room service.

Hotel is centrally located. Near the center where all the bars and restaurants are and close enough to walk to the water.

If your just looking for a place to rest your head this is the perfect place.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Dche85
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Stayed here for three nights in October 2012. I mistakenly booked the wrong dates through greeka.com. I emailed the hotel and was pleased that they corrected my error promptly. Throughout my stay the service was swift, efficient and friendly. The breakfast buffet (€4 extra charge) was a bargain.
The hotel is on a side street just off a main road but the traffic noise is very moderate for a Greek city. Cleanliness flawless - I'd happily hire their cleaners for my home.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo