“Good trip”

Ranked #23 of 98 things to do in Heraklion
More attraction details
Owner description: Knosos Archaeological site 12km south of Heraklion
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

If you are into history and like visiting places of archaeological interest then this is worth a visit. As the place dates back to BC it is extremely old and not much remains. The children did enjoy tripping up and down the stairways exploring. Need good strong legs to enjoy though! We spent a couple of enjoyable hours here. The museum shop though was closed.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,646)
All reviews
in 13 reviews
"reconstruction"
in 109 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The archaeological site of Knossos is located about 6 kilometres south of Heraklion. There is plenty of parking which is free.
After buying my entrance ticket I noticed that there was a group of private Guides who could be hired for a guided tour of the site. Use of a Guide costs 12 Euros from memory for a tour that lasted just over 2 hours and are available for various languages such as English, German, French and presumably other languages such as Russian. The only drag was that I was one of the first to approach my Guide. As there was a maximum of 10 for the group, it was clear that that was what they wanted. So for nearly 20 minutes or so I had to cool my heels while she tried to 'round up' enough people to make her Boss happy. Eventually we set off with 7-8 in the group mainly Americans.
The guide was excellent and her knowledge of the history and details of the archaeological site impressive. The pace was easy and she clearly was under no pressure to 'rush' us through the site.
While I don't normally join such groups, in this case I thought the extra money was well worth it as when walking through such a large site it could be easy to miss important locations. The site does have signs in English and there is a guide book which you can purchase.
I wouldn't say that I was disappointed with the site only that I was left with a nagging feeling that the 'restored' areas didn't necessarily represent the 'true' Knossos but only what one Archaeologist (Sir Arthur Evans) thought the buildings looked like. I know that there is an ongoing controversy about his interpretations of the site. One is that he has rebuilt the rooms with high ceilings but the Minoans were short so the rooms would probably have had much lower ceilings and therefore a completely different look. Even with his arguably faulty restoration the buildings would still have been impressive in their day.
A must see if ever in Crete.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

If in Crete, this is a must go. The legendary palace said to be the place where the Minotaur was locked. Worth the visit.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

It’s a must see place if you are visiting Crete. We didn’t bother with organised trips, it’s only about 1-2 hours visit. We took a taxi and were lucky enough to get in for free (national museum day). Plenty of sun cream and water needed.

See more reviews
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We were lucky enough to go on a free day in May which was fantastic. It was amazing to see this archaeological site. Well worth a visit. The Pompeii of Crete.
Bear in mind it can get very hot and there is little relief from the sun. I would recommend plenty of water and sunscreen if you go on a warm day. Also, if you take the bus you will save money by buying the ticket prior to boarding.
The day we went there was a long unorganised line into the throne room and no relief from the sun (however it was a free entry day)
Also, after visiting I would recommend going to the archeological museum to see the art if acts found at the site. Amazing