“Best food in Crete!”

Olive-Mint Restaurant
Ranked #135 of 433 Restaurants in Heraklion
Cuisines: Greek
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Truly the best meal we had while in Crete. The gentleman that waited on us was charming and a pleasure to meet. The only problem we had was trying to decide what to order, there were so many wonderful things on the menu. I had the Moussaka, best I have ever eaten! This is a place not to be missed! I would definitely eat there again.

Reviewed July 10, 2014

Disappointed that lunch was not available at the wintery we had just visited, we asked for a recommendation on a local restaurant. It wasn't easy to find but it was worth hunting for. Rather obscure with small signage, this was one of the more delightful dining experiences while in Crete. Three of us, the only mid-afternoon diners...were given the best service and food recommendations from a gentleman who also claimed responsibility for some of the food preparation...he made a real event out of our late lunch! Fantastic breads and a mixture of appetizers and entries. It was rather a cool and breezy afternoon, but we chose to eat outside on the patio. Great experience and wish we could have returned.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

We found this restaurant listed in Lonely Planet and put it on our itinerary when visiting Knossis on our first full day in Crete. At first, we were disappointed that we couldn't find the restaurant. There is little signage in some of these small towns. We actually ended up walking into the restaurant without knowing we were in the place we were hunting for!!! The restaurant is at a little crossroads in Skalani and is very lovely---indoor and outdoor seating. We found the waitstaff to be most cordial. In fact, we were so impressed by the food and the cordial staff that we returned a second time for a meal here----went out of our way. Some of the staff have limited English---but we communicated well with them in spite of the language barrier. Food is a great equalizer! The appetizers were so outstanding that we decided on our second visit just to have an array of appetizers foregoing the main course. One of our very favorites was the Aromatic Salad. We raved about it, and one of the cooks/waitstaff gave us the recipe along with a huge pomegranate to carry with us! Such nice people! They made our meals more like events! On one visit, we sat outdoors and enjoyed the sunshine and breeze. On our return visit, the wind drove us inside, which is also lovely and filled with freshly cooked aromas. (Note: We were surprised by the mixed reviews on this restaurant as we found it to be our favorite. I guess everyone has different tastes. We do consider ourselves foodies, and really loved it!)

Reviewed May 24, 2013

We visited this restaurant with our very good friends - locals on September 2012. The place was not crowded, but the service was excellent. We had plenty of different tapas (meze), all traditional, but with a modern view. I think thats what I particularily enjoyed. Being greek I am tired eating the same meze again and again all over the islands. In this restaurant I tasted fresh local products with a twist and if I will definetely try the place again if I return to Heraclion.

I have to say I had absolutely no problems with the service, the restaurant had a pretty contemporary modern style, but since I did not pay myself for the dinner I cannot speak about value for money.

Tip: Very nice to sit outside, but if you visit outside July-August do carry a thin jacket, because it can get breezy up in the mountain

1  Thank Evgenios83
Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

Obviously this place has been rated and given all these awards by people who only have basic knowledge of Cretan cuisine. It is not bad but you can find hundreds of much better traditional taverns all over the island. It is a good effort however, with a nice inviting room and descent wine cellar, I hope it improves in the future both in terms of food quality and prices.

1  Thank zuiveld