“Good value and convenient for airport”
Review of Sofia Hotel

Sofia Hotel
Ranked #13 of 58 Hotels in Heraklion
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed for 1 night arriving on a flight at about 2300 before heading south on holiday the next morning. It is only a 4 minute (but €10) taxi ride from the airport. The room was modern, smart and clean but not luxurious. We had no problems with the beds or bathroom facilities. The staff were friendly and helpful. We did suffer from aircraft noise until we discovered a window in the bathroom was open. Once all windows were firmly closed it was much better. It also meant the air conditioning started to work.
We thought the buffet breakfast offered a good choice of foods and unlike some places they didn't stick out a huge pile to lie around for hours. There was a bit of everything and as a food item was used, it was soon replaced by a fresh supply. You had the option of eating indoors or out near the pool.
The very urban location meant there were no great views from the balcony, just appartments. I think it suited our purpose very well and would probably be fine for business trips. Not so sure about it as a holiday base for many days as it isn't very near the coast or centre of town.
I think some of the older reviews should be ignored as the place has clearly been refurbished in the last year or two. Recommended for airport users unless you want something very upmarket.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 21, 2013

We needed a place to crash before an early flight back to Athens, and did a quick search while on our way to Heraklion from Agios Stefanos. Sofia Hotel is clean, has an amazing location literally 5 minutes from the airport, and the staff were very helpful. We needed a bite to eat at 2am after a 3 hour drive, and although their own kitchen was closed, they helped us out with a delivery menu (which was quick and very good for a late diner).

It's very reasonably priced for what it is. Highly recommended if you need something very close to the airport.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amhelmy
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We arrived in Crete 30 minutes after the car rentals closed. We found this hotel for overnight. A great find. Very clean, very nicely decorated and furnished. Exceptionally friendly staff, very accommodating. Very modern bathroom with glass door circular shower. Three beds all very clean and crisp. Free internet. Breakfast (included) was plentiful, variety of hot food, multiple cold meats and cheeses, cereal and cakes. Selection of breads and cookies. This certainly sets you up for the rest of the day. Very worth the money and will recommend to all. Plus, only 5 minutes from the airport, so very handy to stay if you have an early (or late) flight.
Only one criticism the beds are very hard, but this is found all over Crete.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I had to visit Crete for business Trip for 2 days. I stay to "Sofia Hotel" because it was outside of the center of the city, very fast and easy access from the airport of Heraklion (5 minutes by Car) and the most important was that I could park my car without extra charge to the Private Parking area safely.
The room price was very reasonable comparing the quality of the Hotel. The Wifi was Free even if I couldnt connect because of Technical problem and the Room was really clean without smells and other things. Regarding the quality of the bed I have to say that It was medium.
In general for that type of Hotel the offered services was enough and satisfied without expecting something luxurious and big.
I can suggest it but keep in mind the Hotel is located away from the center of the City of Heraklion.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Konstantinos A
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Living in the south east of Crete for a good part of the year I always spend the night in Sofia prior to an early morning flight. Driving through the Dikti mountains in wintertime at o-dark-hundred to Heraklion isn't the most relaxing start for a trip abroad. Hence the convenience of Sofia Hotel at 1 km distance from the airport. And at walking distance (4 mts) from public transport into the city center.
Sofia was totally renovated in the last couple of years and that makes it today to a place with a businesslike appearance which seems to fit the average guest. No frills or luxury, but efficient and friendly. The rooms have been enlarged with mostly one double bed and one single bed, airco, fridge, and a a spacious bathroom.
Though they claim to have wifi everywhere in the hotel it didn't work in the rooms I slept in the past year.
And, as I said, because I'm using Sofia Hotel for early flights, I can't judge the (included) breakfast.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank ruudkeulers
Reviewed October 22, 2012

The hotel was great, very clean, my husband was catching an earlier flight than me and they said I could do a late check out. I actually felt bad that they would be waiting and so I took my cases down early. The person at reception said " oh put them in the managers office" wow the hospitality was great. My husband told me he had paid 6 euros for his taxi to the airport.
The one I took that the hotel phoned for was 9 euros, it is a short ride to the airport. The one thing I told the lady at the desk, is it would encourage more people to stay if they a courtesy bus to the airport. She said that they planned to do that. I asked her name, as she had stellar customer service and guess what she said "Sophia" say no more!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Britpat
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Very friendly reception staff
Able to get a drink and sit by the pool when we arrived at the hotel after 11pm
Happy to swap us to another room (the first smelt smokey to us)
Very good value for money (70E incuding breakfast)
Great swimming pool - it was cold but very well maintained and a good size
only a 5 minute (10E) taxi from the airport
Overall a really good start to our holiday

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple