“Saved by Sofia”

Ranked #11 of 58 Hotels in Heraklion
Lincoln
“Saved by Sofia”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

I cannot thank the staff at this Hotel enough, as they really saved me from a nightmare. My car keys slipped out of my bag in the room and the staff went to the trouble of finding me on holiday to return them and because of their excellent customer service, I, was not left stranded at the airport as I would have been. They were so helpful and kind. They insisted it was their duty (but I wonder how many other hotels would do this?) Also because we arrived late I had been worried about finding the hotel but it's so easy, coming out of the airport there is a sign so you cant miss it, we parked right outside easily and we had an ice cold beer ready when we arrived late and tired( the bar is 24 hours) so lovely start to the holiday. I thought the noise from the aircraft would be a problem, but we never heard it. A lovely comfy room and really nice buffet breakfast. Next time we come to Crete we will stay at the Sofia and I would definitely recommend this hotel!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Greek first
Kerry, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

The hotel is not as advertised. The air-conditioning did not work adequately (and yes, the balcony door was closed). The room was a small box, no bigger than an ensuite bathroom in most other hotels. The towels were old and torn. The room was not heat-proof or sound-proof as they advertise. It was exceptionally noisy from within the hotel, not due to airport noise. I have never experienced such shabby, disgraceful conditions in any hotel (or MOTEL for that matter). I would class this place as a maximum 2 star. Breakfast was a joke with some scrambled eggs in a bowl, some cold meats and bread and all set up on three tables. The orange juice was just diluted orange. The elevator is an absolute experience to behold (a small portaloo sized thing with a door that 2 people can barely fit into). I can assure you I will never stay at this ramshackle "hotel" again and will ensure none of my friends or family will have to experience it either. I have also conveyed my sentiments to the Thomson holiday staff and reps at Heraklion airport.

Room Tip: Make sure when arriving that you are not placed in the "BOX" room that you cannot have two...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Beddau, Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

A lost passport forced an unexpected stop-over and we were fortunate to be guided to this hotel.The very friendly and helpful staff made our stay most enjoyable, and on this alone we would certainly recommend it to anyone looking for a short stay or stop-over.Situated in a pleasant residential area it is just 5-10 minutes from both the airport or the city centre.Some aircraft noise but nothing to be bothered about.Our room was spotless,air conditioned and had a balcony.Breakfast was plentiful in a pleasant dining area and the poolside bar/restaurant had a good selection of drinks and meals.There was a small quiet pool with plenty of loungers and shade , ideal for a bit of relaxing. The staff, the facilities and the general atmosphere of the hotel turned an unfortunate mishap into a delightful short stay.We would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank DavidandHelen_11
Horten
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

Very friendly staff, helpful with all kinds of requests. Good breakfast. Good pool area with an outside pool bar day and night.
The beds were to hard for me (I like a medium bed).
You will hear some airplane traffic as it is very close to the airport.

Room Tip: Double rooms are a good size. Small balcony on the outside. Less airplane traffic on the street-side...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Crete
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2012

Only 5 minutes from, the airport, so very convenient both for this and the national road. The hotel is basic but clean and comfortable. We've stayed here a few times rather than drive following a night flight. No food apart from breakfast but there they have an arrangement with a local takeaway which has a comprehensive menu.

The only minus is the distance from central Heraklion - it's too far to walk. But there are always cabs and buses.

There is some noise from planes taking off and landing, but it has never disturbed us.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank clival
Weesp, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2011

This hotel I always use for the days I have an early flight from Heraklion. It's only 1 Km from the airport and It offers good rooms, recently renovated and fine service. I dont know how it is to stay there for a long holiday, but I saw a garden and swimming pool and because it's outside the busy center you might make there also nice holidays

Room Tip: good for overnight when you leave early or arrive late at Heraklion airport
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Bolton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2011

Good place, very close to the airport you can walk it.
not great views from my window but all we wanted was a place to crash when the flight arrived at 2am took 5mins to get there 24hr reception area even the bar was still open if you wanted a beer! room OK for the price 70euros
Breakfast very good buffet style

Room Tip: good place to stop if you have a late flight good breakfast to start the day, fresh.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple