All reviews poseidon restaurant sushi restaurant marble bath steep hill pool closes deluxe room main restaurant amazing views private beach golf buggies club cars bathroom door beautiful hotel half board no tea coffee making facilities buggy service pool staff
Selected filters
Reviewed July 23, 2018 via mobile

We stayed 3 days in - room with private pool.
The views were sunrise and beautiful as colors on adjacent islands changed with light of the sun.
It was July and hot but still a little too cold for us to enjoy the pool. We dipped in a couple times to cool off but soaking was too cold.
We ate at the Poseidon and found the white glove service to be impeccable and was only perhaps surpassed by the perfectly delectable food. Calamari, scallops, salads, champagne, beer, aperitif, free lemon cake desert that was an exceptional ending to an amazing dinner experience overlooking the sea and mountains of Crete and Elounda bay.
Well equipped rooms with lovely furnishings and spacious dressing area.
Main pool closed early at 6:00 but pool bar opened until 1:00. The included breakfast buffet had something for everyone and every area of the resort is complemented by the incredible views and lovely art work.
Prices were reasonable considering what you got for price. The only part slightly disappointing was the spa. We ordered a particular package that came with some elements that we didn’t receive but what we did get was nice.

Date of stay: July 2018
Management T, Υπεύθυνος Σχέσεων με Πελάτες at Royal Marmin Bay Boutique & Art Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2018

Dear Mrs Amacare,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share such wonderful comments on Tripadvisor.
Thank you for writing such a glowing review about your expereince of Royal Marmin Bay. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Royal Marmin bay in the near future.

Kind Regards,
Management Team

Reviewed July 23, 2018

The best part about this hotel are the staff and the views. We had room 201 which was a room with private pool. A few observations however for the discerning traveller…

The rooms with private pools are shown heavily on the website and there are 17 pictures of a glass fronted pool with a decent patio and when you look closer you notice only 2 pictures of the smaller plunge pool. It seems they have several rooms with plunge pool and only 2 with the much nicer glass pool. Be aware..I am sure there are trade description issues and potentially some dodgy advertising here as the rooms and the pools are significantly different and you need to make sure you know which one you get when you book especially as they do over sell the glass fronted pool room and you realise that is NOT what you will get.

On the basis we needed a break, I stopped complaining and arrived knowing I had the lesser pool room and we did enjoy it. The views are amazing and room 201 is worth having as there is no neighbor on your left.

The pools aren’t really that private as you can see others in their pools and it is possible to be seen from above and through the lattice work panels.

It’s not a big issue but I would of preferred a totally private pool. The panels also obstruct your view unless you stand up or are actually in the pool. Another note is that its really one long pool divided into sections and the water moves around between each pool….make of that what you will as this is a honeymooners hotel !

One point for the hotel are the sun loungers on the main pool area. Why they face our rooms and not the sea seems insane. I suggest you turn them around as people prefer a sea view.

Both paid for dining experiences are good although quiet and that suited us. The sushi is superb and it’s worth having on the beach.

The beach is not private and there were kids there and I wasn’t expecting that and also there is no sand-it’s a hard surface.

Sadly, the let down for the hotel is the standard and choice of food at the buffet restaurant and beach bar. Certainly not 5 star dining.

Yes its steep but fun to walk up and down and the guys in the carts are always around if you want a lift.

Walking to Plaka and Elounda definitely worth it. Some great restaurants and bars and lovely walks.

Crete itself is beautiful. Plenty of mountains and the colours of the ocean amazing. So if they advertised the rooms correctly or made the superior ones a genuine different room on the website, improved the standard and choice of food it would be close to a 4 star. Oh..and there is no kettle or coffee machine in your room so be prepared to pay.

2  Thank Winnyman
Reviewed July 22, 2018

Our diet consists of a combination of organic, raw foods, fish. So the buffet catered for our needs. But, to be honest, I tried everything - and I couldn’t resist nibbling at the deserts. The food is freshly made and tasty! They also have organic (bio) wines on the menu. We ate at their restaurant, Poseidon - delicious! Fish is non-farmed. We also had sushi whilst lounging on the beach - the best!

Our stay was half-board. We didn’t find the restaurants expensive. It’s what we’d expect in a 5* hotel, if you want quality cuisine. You also have the option to be whizzed around by buggy, which was handy for me as I sometimes have mobility issues in the heat.

The hotel is eco-friendly and maybe the reason why the aircon in our room wasn’t cool enough?

Negatives — no free water in the gym (not good) - no tea/coffee service in room. We stayed in one of the “luxury rooms”. We’ve stayed in many 5* hotels and these small details are catered for. Also suprised no small water bottles left in made-up room as a gesture. Especially in the very hot weather. I feel the outdoor buffet area should have sectioned tables so smokers are in one area so they don’t contaminate non-smokers’ space. Wanting to sit outside, we sometimes had to sit inside due to the smokers’ random seating. We are non-smokers. Guest in room to our right, I could hear lighting up when I was lounging by private pool, and didn’t smell anything - so that was good.

It was my partner’s birthday and Management gave him a little surprise, which was a nice touch. Also all the staff are courteous and professional. Very friendly. We had a laugh - my partner everyday trying his best to speak Greek!

The hotel is not overwhelming and fussy. For me it was comfortable and I didn’t feel intimidated when exploring by myself. Although on a hill/mountain side it’s easy to get around. The boutique beach is relaxing. I’m not one to sit around a communal pool but, my first time, I couldn’t resist because their infinity pool is blissful. The views are amazing.

I loved the hotel and would visit again.

Room tip: Room with private pool great for cooling down - amazing views!
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2018 via mobile

We are currently staying in this stunning hotel and there is nothing to complain about...all the staff is very friendly and helpful and especially the ladies at the reception. Big thank you to all the staff and management for all the arrangements and especially to Elisabeth from Guest Relations who arranged the cake for my partner’s Birthday! We will definitely return and recommend this place!

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank angelakU528VD
Management T, Υπεύθυνος Σχέσεων με Πελάτες at Royal Marmin Bay Boutique & Art Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2018

Dear Mrs Angela K,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful review on Tripadvisor following your recent visit with us.Our loyal staff will be delighted to read how their efforts have enhanced your stay with us.
It also gives me great pleasure to read that you are considering a return visit in the future.

Once again thank you for your wonderful feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Kind Regards,
Management Team

Reviewed July 15, 2018

This is not a 5* hotel, so do not expect 5* service. The place is beautiful, brand new, very clean, very quiet. The staff however are not trained to 5* standard. This is a family owned and run business, and the service levels were commensurate with that. The reception staff were particularly unpleasant, and the manager was ineffective as backup. We booked a room with a private pool, and despite checking beforehand by email and telephone there was sun all day at our pool, it was there only until 1.30 in the afternoon - when we had to go to the main pool for sunshine. Bit of a waste of the extra £600 I think. If you want to go, don't waste the extra money on the private pool, don't expect 5* food or service, but theres nothing wrong with the facilities, cleanliness or location. They just need to employ some staff with 5* experience.

The staff were very poorly trained, to the extent they were aggressive at times. I've had far better service in local tavernas

Room tip: Dont pay extra for the room with a pool, the terraces have no sunshine after 1.30pm
Date of stay: June 2018