“Very good trip”

and up
Full Day Tour to Spinalonga Island with BBQ Lunch
Ranked #1 of 11 Tours in Elounda
Reviewed May 24, 2013

We took a boat from Eluntha to Spinalonga - about a 20 minute trip. The island was very interesting, with it's deep history and then subsequent use as a leper colony in the 20th century. A lot of the ladies have read Victoria Hislops book about the island - so my wife was able to give me more information.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We went to Spinalonga via Nostros tours , leaves at 12.30 from the harbou. The boats vary in size depending on the season. There is a sun deck and a small refreshment area. You are given a guide book which explains the journey followed by a commentary on board. You get a chance to swim in a bay for half an hour if you are brave enough to dive off the boat (the leaflet is misleading as it suggests you step off at a beach area). You get 1 and half hours on Spinalonga, (entry fee of 2 euros extra) . Its a very interesting island and worth the trip. All in its 4 and half hours . I would suggest however a hat ,suncreen and lot s of water as we went end of April and it was very warm then.

4  Thank champagneannie
Reviewed January 26, 2013

A long day starts early and you spend a long time on a coach! Island was nice but it took so long to get there that we were hot sweaty and tired.

I would probably just get a water taxi next time.

3  Thank Timothy_1983
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We visited this atmospheric island during our stay in Crete in October this year. I had read the book 'The Island' by Victoria Hislop (Ian Hislop's wife). It was a haunting book about how lepers were sent to this island to live. They formed a community and lived by helping each other with a dedicated doctor who cared for them.
The island brought the story to life and there were some interesting displays.The island also housed a fort and you can walk all round with the beautiful view of the sea.Also the boat trip was enjoyable but I'm biased as I love the sea!
We finished the day with a late fish lunch by the harbour in Elounda.It was one of our favourite days of the holiday and I would recommend it if you go to Crete ...and do go it's a lovely and very interesting island and the people are very friendly and helpful.

2  Thank sceneyjeanie
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We made an excursion to this former leper settlement of which Victoria Hislop wrote the impressive and realistic book 'The island'. Build on the main part of the island and domintated by the Venetian castle, the houses are a testimony of a very sad period in the recent history and a small museum shows some artifacts from the hospital. A walk through this village, where the houses are being restored, is very emotional and made me thankfull for being healthy. The mirrors however, which have been placed by some artist and incite a lot of tourists to have a good laugh and a giggle, are very improper and of no surplus value at all. Also the music is completely out of place. Spinalonga is a place for meditation and no circus.

6  Thank Edith C