“Fantastic time and wonderful staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Elounda Ilion Hotel

Elounda Ilion Hotel
Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Elounda
London
“Fantastic time and wonderful staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

we have stayed before and found it just as good this time. our daughter was getting married in the porto elounda so made sense for us to stay across the road from this hotel. there were approx 32 of us in all and we all had the most lovely time. all in all fantstic. made special by the lovely staff and of course the views that are to die for. As last time breakfast not bad at all, but evening meals just not brilliant. you would not starve. we ate out half the time as we love the village. lunch from the pool bar are spot on. without a doubt will go back. rooms very clean at all times and towels beds changed daily. i cant fault it really although evening meals not as good as the lunch meals.

Room Tip: upgrade to sea view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Northwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We stayed at the elounda ilion for I week in may, we have stayed in the village many times, so this hotel was a new experience for us. It is quite a way out, a good 1/2 hour walk, but very pleasant, we also walked it there and back one day! But after that we got a taxi back (7€) . Our room (77) has glorious views over the bay and was large and clean,( the towels and bedding were changed every day, not something you would get in a top class hotel I guess!) the breakfast had everything we wanted from bacon and eggs ( fried and scrambled) to all the continental meats, bread and fruit. Didn't have the evening meal at 20€,we preferred to dine out in the village, as there are plenty of beautiful restaurants to choose from. But all in all had a very pleasant stay or the money we paid, and would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view as some of the rooms face the backs of other rooms.
Ashby de la Zouch, null, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We have just returned from a very pleasant week at this hotel. It is not the place if you have limited mobility though as it is on a hillside with 36 steps up to reception. The staff were excellent, very hard working, friendly and eager to make sure that all was well. We went half board and found the food to be of a good standard although by the end of the week things became a bit samey. It has a nice pool with plenty of sunbeds (although you do get the usual towel-on-the-sunbed brigade).

The glossy brochures are deceptive. It is not as nice as they make it out to be in the wonderful photos. Our accommodation was in one of the 'bungalows' which was a room comprising twin beds with a sunken lounge area. The mattresses were very hard and are apparently like that throughout the hotel.

It is a good 40 minute walk into Elounda and a taxi cost 7 euros.

If you are booking excursions, beware. We went with Olympic Holidays and they tend to round people up in one coach by driving around the various hotels. This meant that the one hour and a bit trip to Knossos became two and half hours in the coach.

The scenery in the area is stunning however.

Room Tip: The rooms in the main hotel have better views across the bay than those in the bungalows.
    • 1 of 5 stars
folkestone
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We arrived at the hotel at 1.30am (Don't travel with Olympic) !0 people checked in, all very tired, hungry and thirsty. We were met by a lovely staff member who sympathised with us for our late arrival and the fact that we had missed our evening meal. He then took us to the restaurant where a very welcome meal of cold meats, cheese and salad was waiting for us. We were also offered drinks from the bar. During our holiday we found the staff to be very helpful, the food was of a fairly good standard and the pool area is delightful. The views from the hotel are fantastic We would definitely recommend this hotel although not to those with a physical disability as it is situated on a hillside and is arranged over several levels

Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Things going for it:

In the main very friendly staff. enough of a choice at breakfast to get you going. Outstanding views from a cracking pool area. Plenty of sun beds available even with a full hotel. Good poolside cafe/bar for lunch and drinks round the pool.

Against:

Built on a hillside, meaning everywhere you want to reach means steps or a steep slope. OK if your fit and/or looking for a workout every day, not so good if either you can't do steps or do not want to. Rooms a bit tired, and not four star. Charged for poolside towels, and then charged every time you wanted a refreshed one, never seen that at a four star before.

Can't comment on the evening meals, as I only stayed for one - there are some very nice restaurants to try within a drive or taxi ride.

My advice - if you're going to stay here hire a car to get about.

Room Tip: Try to get on one on the reception level.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Like another earlier review on here suggested, do not be taken in by the glossy photos of this hotel, or by the four star rating. This is a three star hotel at very best but many features fall below even that standard. In addition, the Ilion is much, much noisier than you might expect from its website and from its peaceful setting, high up on the hill overlooking Elounda.

I stayed in mid-May 2013. The rooms are of a good size but desperately basic. The fixtures, fittings, furnishings and décor are all rather tired and are starting to wear. The wall art is mostly hideous and has to be seen to be believed. The overall sensation is one of deepening disappointment. The shower fitting in my room was loose and did not hold the shower-head properly, the bed had a broken strut and the new bed-sheets delivered one morning were stained. The towels provided were thinning with ‘Ilion’ written in biro along the edges. The satellite TV had about 5 channels, only one of which was in English (BBC News 24), there was no DVD player or music station, and no kettle, cups, tea or coffee.

I booked a room requesting to be above ground level with pool or sea views. I arrived to find my room had neither, so the very first thing I did was to request an upgrade. I was told by the hotel Receptionist that this was absolutely impossible and that the Ilion was not obliged to accede to any such advance requests. This was not what I had been led to believe when I placed the booking via www.lastminute.com.

I decided to take it on the chin and not let it spoil my holiday. However, on day three, I noticed that while I had been out for the day, the fridge in my room had been swapped out for a different model. I soon discovered why. The new fridge made a terrible racket every 15 minutes or so, which kept me awake at night. Clearly, someone else at the hotel had complained about the machine, so the hotel staff had decided to swap it for the quiet machine in my room. The next morning, I complained about this to the Reception desk and asked them to put the old, quiet fridge back in my room. This was not done so I had another fitful night’s sleep. I had to make a second request to the Reception the next day to have the fridge replaced before it was actually done.

The next day, I decided to have a quiet early night. I was reading in bed at about 9:30pm when the most unbelievable racket started up. It sounded as though there was an illegal rave going on right outside my room. The music was so unbearably loud (and bad) that in the end I had to get up, get dressed and drive in to Elounda to get away from it. As I drove out the hotel complex, I was staggered to discover that the noise was coming from the pool area and was clearly some sort of hotel staged attempt at ‘entertainment’ although God knows who could be entertained by such a tasteless cacophony of sub-par Euro dance.

Without a doubt, the best thing about the Ilion is the pool area. This is well presented with smart wooden decking, comfortable seating and sun-loungers, a clean pool and stunning views out over Elounda Gulf. Unfortunately, the beautiful tranquillity of the setting is shattered by the hotel’s incomprehensible insistence on playing god-awful generic dance music at the poolside from 10am in the morning, right throughout the day.

When I first discovered this, I thought it could only be a shocking aberration. Alas, no, I soon realised that in fact the music is a quite deliberate feature. I did attempt to complain about it and explain that the invasive and abrasive music was totally at odds with the incredible peace and quiet of the beautiful setting, but the manager of hotel appeared bemused by this. I tried to spell out that guests to the Ilion, most of whom are older, would book to go to Malia or Ibiza instead if they really wanted an auto-tuned, four-beat, Euro-dance soundtrack to their holiday but this too fell on deaf ears. The biggest concession I could wring from them was that they turned the awful music down slightly that day. By the next day, it was back up again on full volume. God knows what some of the other guests made of it but I am in my early 30s and I found it utterly unbearable, crashingly tasteless and completely inappropriate.

If the pool is the best thing about the Ilion, then the noise levels you will be exposed to during your stay is the worst aspect of staying there. I have mentioned the terrible music they play all day by the pool and the disturbance of the ‘entertainment’ night, but you will also find that there is a neighbouring hotel with an unfortunate habit of playing raucous beach party music until the small hours, which carries straight over to the Ilion. Being on top of a hill does not help either and the wind whistles and whips through every crack and crevice, through doors and windows, creating a high pitch screeching sound.

The staff and service are OK. They mostly tend to have a positive approach. There is no advertised room service as such but one day I attempted to get a pot of tea delivered to my room. I phoned Reception and the man sounded as though I had just insulted his mother. Nevertheless, the tea did arrive although whether it was worth waiting for is another matter.

I found the food ordinary at best and cheap at worst. The breakfast bar is mostly unappetising although there is a wide range of things to choose from so it is a case of trying to find the least from many evils. I only wanted half-board so I didn’t bother having dinner at the hotel but I gather from talking to other guests that it is passable (there is fantastic food to be found in Elounda itself – check out The Ferryman for starters and you won’t want to eat anywhere else for the duration of your stay). You can get snacks and lunch from the bar by the side of the pool but again, this is mostly very ordinary, with nothing to get you excited by the prospect. Sadly, like everything at the Ilion, it’s all very perfunctory.

To sum up, I would say that this is one of the most disappointing hotels I have ever stayed at. At least with a lower star rated hotel, you know what to expect. With the Elounda Ilion, you are left with a nagging sense that you should have got a great deal more for your money. The hotel should be much more up front with the noise levels its guests are exposed to and it badly needs to spend some money updating the rooms. If you are looking to escape somewhere for either a bit of quality or for tranquillity and peace and quiet, then the Elounda Ilion Hotel & Bungalows should be avoided at all costs.

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
10 Thank Alex K
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

This is a lovely hotel and the staff are extremely friendly, but not quite enough to tempt us to return. We upgraded as the standard room was small and sparse and the bungalow was worth the extra. Like the rest of the hotel it was good spec and well built and it had a lovely view over the sea. The nicest part of the hotel is the lounge/bar/balcony focal point - friendly and relaxing with a nice atmosphere. The pool is ok, probably 25m with loungers on the deck overlooking the sea. But there is table-tennis by the pool (echoing under the dining room) and the kerplink-kerplunk-kerplink got on our nerves slightly. Meals were fine, although tinned fruit in syrup was disappointing at breakfast time as I'm used to fresh varieties in the Med. Dinner was fine with some excellent salads but disappointing puds. If we'd stayed a second week we would probably have gone out for a bit of variety. Bar prices are fine. The so-called 'beach' is a bit of a let down (rocky area with some tired sun-shades and loungers) because the steps into the sea missed the top rung and it was a bit tricky to get in and out. But the beautiful clear Agean was the reward. Sadly, on three of our seven nights we were kept awake until about 1.30am by booming noise from a neighbouring disco. Not the fault of the Ilion but when I phoned reception the man was charming but apologised saying there was nothing he could do about it - you'd think that in a peaceful resort like this hotels would have an agreement. The walk into Elounda is pleasant and the town is enchanting - with lots of little bars and tavernas and good prices. Spinalonga island is a must-do excursion for half a day.

Every member of staff was really charming, we had a lovely relaxing break and this hotel has so much going for it. Perhaps we are a little picky, and I feel a bit rotten saying this, but a few niggles will prevent us from returning and (we went mid-May) they are not likely to get any better in high season.

Room Tip: Go for a bungalow - they are spacious and well-appointed and the rooms are a little sparse. The wal...
2 Thank Mark R