“Don't Do It”

Ranked #12 of 37 Hotels in Elounda
London, United Kingdom
“Don't Do It”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

Like another earlier review on here suggested, do not be taken in by the glossy photos of this hotel, or by the four star rating. This is a three star hotel at very best but many features fall below even that standard. In addition, the Ilion is much, much noisier than you might expect from its website and from its peaceful setting, high up on the hill overlooking Elounda.

I stayed in mid-May 2013. The rooms are of a good size but desperately basic. The fixtures, fittings, furnishings and décor are all rather tired and are starting to wear. The wall art is mostly hideous and has to be seen to be believed. The overall sensation is one of deepening disappointment. The shower fitting in my room was loose and did not hold the shower-head properly, the bed had a broken strut and the new bed-sheets delivered one morning were stained. The towels provided were thinning with ‘Ilion’ written in biro along the edges. The satellite TV had about 5 channels, only one of which was in English (BBC News 24), there was no DVD player or music station, and no kettle, cups, tea or coffee.

I booked a room requesting to be above ground level with pool or sea views. I arrived to find my room had neither, so the very first thing I did was to request an upgrade. I was told by the hotel Receptionist that this was absolutely impossible and that the Ilion was not obliged to accede to any such advance requests. This was not what I had been led to believe when I placed the booking via www.lastminute.com.

I decided to take it on the chin and not let it spoil my holiday. However, on day three, I noticed that while I had been out for the day, the fridge in my room had been swapped out for a different model. I soon discovered why. The new fridge made a terrible racket every 15 minutes or so, which kept me awake at night. Clearly, someone else at the hotel had complained about the machine, so the hotel staff had decided to swap it for the quiet machine in my room. The next morning, I complained about this to the Reception desk and asked them to put the old, quiet fridge back in my room. This was not done so I had another fitful night’s sleep. I had to make a second request to the Reception the next day to have the fridge replaced before it was actually done.

The next day, I decided to have a quiet early night. I was reading in bed at about 9:30pm when the most unbelievable racket started up. It sounded as though there was an illegal rave going on right outside my room. The music was so unbearably loud (and bad) that in the end I had to get up, get dressed and drive in to Elounda to get away from it. As I drove out the hotel complex, I was staggered to discover that the noise was coming from the pool area and was clearly some sort of hotel staged attempt at ‘entertainment’ although God knows who could be entertained by such a tasteless cacophony of sub-par Euro dance.

Without a doubt, the best thing about the Ilion is the pool area. This is well presented with smart wooden decking, comfortable seating and sun-loungers, a clean pool and stunning views out over Elounda Gulf. Unfortunately, the beautiful tranquillity of the setting is shattered by the hotel’s incomprehensible insistence on playing god-awful generic dance music at the poolside from 10am in the morning, right throughout the day.

When I first discovered this, I thought it could only be a shocking aberration. Alas, no, I soon realised that in fact the music is a quite deliberate feature. I did attempt to complain about it and explain that the invasive and abrasive music was totally at odds with the incredible peace and quiet of the beautiful setting, but the manager of hotel appeared bemused by this. I tried to spell out that guests to the Ilion, most of whom are older, would book to go to Malia or Ibiza instead if they really wanted an auto-tuned, four-beat, Euro-dance soundtrack to their holiday but this too fell on deaf ears. The biggest concession I could wring from them was that they turned the awful music down slightly that day. By the next day, it was back up again on full volume. God knows what some of the other guests made of it but I am in my early 30s and I found it utterly unbearable, crashingly tasteless and completely inappropriate.

If the pool is the best thing about the Ilion, then the noise levels you will be exposed to during your stay is the worst aspect of staying there. I have mentioned the terrible music they play all day by the pool and the disturbance of the ‘entertainment’ night, but you will also find that there is a neighbouring hotel with an unfortunate habit of playing raucous beach party music until the small hours, which carries straight over to the Ilion. Being on top of a hill does not help either and the wind whistles and whips through every crack and crevice, through doors and windows, creating a high pitch screeching sound.

The staff and service are OK. They mostly tend to have a positive approach. There is no advertised room service as such but one day I attempted to get a pot of tea delivered to my room. I phoned Reception and the man sounded as though I had just insulted his mother. Nevertheless, the tea did arrive although whether it was worth waiting for is another matter.

I found the food ordinary at best and cheap at worst. The breakfast bar is mostly unappetising although there is a wide range of things to choose from so it is a case of trying to find the least from many evils. I only wanted half-board so I didn’t bother having dinner at the hotel but I gather from talking to other guests that it is passable (there is fantastic food to be found in Elounda itself – check out The Ferryman for starters and you won’t want to eat anywhere else for the duration of your stay). You can get snacks and lunch from the bar by the side of the pool but again, this is mostly very ordinary, with nothing to get you excited by the prospect. Sadly, like everything at the Ilion, it’s all very perfunctory.

To sum up, I would say that this is one of the most disappointing hotels I have ever stayed at. At least with a lower star rated hotel, you know what to expect. With the Elounda Ilion, you are left with a nagging sense that you should have got a great deal more for your money. The hotel should be much more up front with the noise levels its guests are exposed to and it badly needs to spend some money updating the rooms. If you are looking to escape somewhere for either a bit of quality or for tranquillity and peace and quiet, then the Elounda Ilion Hotel & Bungalows should be avoided at all costs.

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
12 Thank Alex K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

This is a lovely hotel and the staff are extremely friendly, but not quite enough to tempt us to return. We upgraded as the standard room was small and sparse and the bungalow was worth the extra. Like the rest of the hotel it was good spec and well built and it had a lovely view over the sea. The nicest part of the hotel is the lounge/bar/balcony focal point - friendly and relaxing with a nice atmosphere. The pool is ok, probably 25m with loungers on the deck overlooking the sea. But there is table-tennis by the pool (echoing under the dining room) and the kerplink-kerplunk-kerplink got on our nerves slightly. Meals were fine, although tinned fruit in syrup was disappointing at breakfast time as I'm used to fresh varieties in the Med. Dinner was fine with some excellent salads but disappointing puds. If we'd stayed a second week we would probably have gone out for a bit of variety. Bar prices are fine. The so-called 'beach' is a bit of a let down (rocky area with some tired sun-shades and loungers) because the steps into the sea missed the top rung and it was a bit tricky to get in and out. But the beautiful clear Agean was the reward. Sadly, on three of our seven nights we were kept awake until about 1.30am by booming noise from a neighbouring disco. Not the fault of the Ilion but when I phoned reception the man was charming but apologised saying there was nothing he could do about it - you'd think that in a peaceful resort like this hotels would have an agreement. The walk into Elounda is pleasant and the town is enchanting - with lots of little bars and tavernas and good prices. Spinalonga island is a must-do excursion for half a day.

Every member of staff was really charming, we had a lovely relaxing break and this hotel has so much going for it. Perhaps we are a little picky, and I feel a bit rotten saying this, but a few niggles will prevent us from returning and (we went mid-May) they are not likely to get any better in high season.

Room Tip: Go for a bungalow - they are spacious and well-appointed and the rooms are a little sparse. The wal...
2 Thank Mark R
lancashire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

This is one of the best hotels that I have been to in a long time. Okay so it is a little bit tired looking if you want to go looking for problems but to me and my partner it was superb. The staff are so friendly and helpful (they are what made the holiday for us). Dimitri behind the bar and Dimitria in the snack bar (not sure if this how their names are spelt) are the nicest people that i have come across in all my years of going abroad. The views from our room (no. 77) were amazing. Okay so there was a bit a a whistling noise coming from the door when it was windy but the view we had was amazing. if you do go i would recommend going full board because the bar snacks are amazing (the chef deserves a medal). it may not be to everyones taste but we really cannot fault our holiday the whole fortnight we were there. The only thing i would say is against this hotel is the steepness of the hill to get to the rooms not for people who find it hard to get around you need to be good on the old pins.

Room Tip: room nos. 72 to 77 have the best views but you have to be prepared to walk the incline to get to the...
1 Thank nellyLancashire
Junglinster, Luxembourg
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

In general, our stay at Elound Ilion Hotel was very disappointing. We had to change our room 4 times and ask for a room upgrade in order to be able to sleep in a clean room. Please see list below for more details:

Rooms: Very poor. When we arrived, we found worms and spiders next to our bed and in the bathroom. We had to change 4 times our room (the first 3 rooms all had the same problem: worms, spiders, etc. and the 4th time, we asked for an upgrade - 30 € per night; this time, we had a clean room).

Service: The staff of the hotel is quite friendly.

Food: Dinner (buffet) was not bad. They mostly served Greek food but also pasta, pizza, etc. Breakfast still needs some improvement.

Room Tip: When booking a room at Elounda Ilion Hotel, always go for the best rooms available. Otherwise, you w...
2 Thank TripComfort
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

We stayed here last year (on a girly trip with my mum). We booked last minute and choose this hotel because of the stunning photos on the website of the pool area and location. On arrival due to the great deal we had we were given a room that was VERY basic, but for what we paid we couldnt complain, after all we spent hardly any time there!

The incline to the reception is tough in the heat when you have your bags but the view is worth it!

We werent disappointed with the outside areas, absolutely stunning view and lovely pool! The hotel bar was very relaxing and the dining area was very clean! The only downside was the food, as we went last minute we got the half board package (which we never normally do) and the food was pretty average. Dont go here for the cuisine! However there are plenty of lovely restaurants in Elounda only a 15 -20 minute walk away with equally as stunning views and great service!

The evening entertainment we had one night was good fun.

Great for a week away in the sun with family! I would recommend as a last minute but not for a luxury holiday

Room Tip: Pay a bit more for a room with a view
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Emsworth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

Stayed for 2 weeks at the beginning of October 2012. Hotel was obviously on wind down to end of season, but this didn't have any real impact. Staff couldn't have been more helpful or friendly. Definitely agree with reviewers who say book superior bungalow if you can - we did, and were very happy with the accommodation, but others who had booked ordinary bungalows asked to be upgraded because they were disappointed with what was offered. And don't forget to ask for a sea view - well worth the extra!!
Not the highest class hotel in the areas, but for a relaxed stay and a relaxing holiday at a reasobale price, it's hard to beat.

Room Tip: Go for a superior bungalow with sea views - further up the hill but worth it and closer to dining ro...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank 22nt
ventura67
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

We booked a bungalow for the week 11-18 October 2012. The accommodation is spacious, very clean, although the bathrom was showing signs of 'mould' around the bath which there is no excuse for. The accommodation offers stunning views and the walk up to the reception and breakfast area (an incline and 40 steps from the bungalow) is worth it - but it definitely not for those with mobility or walking difficulties.

The pool area and decked bar area is good but the hotel is a litt;e "worn" in areas and is not a 4* more like a good 3* - eg., pool tables broken, sunbeds showing signs of wear and tear, chipped paint etc.,

The accommodation is a quiet area outside of Elounda which is about a 20-30 minute walk - unless you are fit and healthy a car is advised as there are no tavernas closeby although a great little supermarket and a car hire office.

It was the end of season and some food and drink (at the pool bar) were not available - even simple things like a diet coke. Prices were very reasonable and the food at the poolbar was good.

Overall a good stay with great weather which walsy helps!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ventura67
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elounda
Elounda Garden Suites
#16 of 37 in Elounda
Elounda Bay Palace
Elounda Bay Palace
#14 of 37 in Elounda

Been to Elounda Ilion Hotel? Share your experiences!