“What an incredible holiday” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete

Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete
Ranked #5 of 36 Hotels in Elounda
london
“What an incredible holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2007

when i was looking to book my summer holiday for me and my girlfriend, the brochure pictures took my breath away from the minute i saw them.. i booked a 7 night stay from 22nd-29th July 2007..
we booked a superior bungalow with a sea view, and when we got shown to our room it was absolutely what we were expecting. on the first evening, my girlfriend left a glass of sprite next to the bed and in the morning managed to attract a whole load of ants to our bedside table.. we called the room manager, who was extremely apologetic and moved us the next morning to a room with a private pool! the rest of the holiday was absolutely amazing, weather was great, food was incredible and an all around relaxing stay.
upon reading all the reviews about pricing in the hotel restaurants, i believe that if you book a hotel of this quality and class, you should go there in preparation to these prices, that way when you're there you aren't thinking about how much everything costs.
me and my girlfriend had lunch on our balcony nearly everyday, as we found more choice, better quality and all round more comfortable that the isola grill lunch restaurant or the snack bar by the pool. lunch each day averaged around 40-50euros and dinner for the two of us was around 100euros a night. i believe you truly get what you pay for, and the service and quality was absolutely flawless.

all in all, from ordering drinks lazily by our sun loungers, to getting driven to our room everyday in the clubcars, it was a fantastic holiday that neither of us are going to forget.
i would definitely recommend this hotel, an experience not to be missed..

• Liked — breathtaking place
  • Disliked — had to leave!
3 Thank dazs87

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2007

Have you ever had to switch rooms during your stay in a hotel because they were not what you had expected? I am sure you had, but how about 4 rooms in 10 days?? Well let me explain. We booked a standard bungalow with panoramic sea views and upon arrival we were upgraded to a bungalow with a private pool which we were very happy about. We were shown the room which was nice and spacious (with rose petals spread over the bed - a nice touch - we were celebrating our wedding anniversary). We went outside to the patio and pool area and then I understood a catch with the "upgrade". The room was right next to the funicular and was completely overlooked by the people going up and down every two minutes and also by the people waiting for a funicular above. There was no way we were going to stay in that room. We called reception straight away and asked to move us away from funicular where we could enjoy more privacy.

We were told that there was another room available with a pool on the 5th level away from the funicular. We were really exited about it as we thought that it would have great views being on a top level. When we got to the room and went outside we were shocked to see that the room was facing a wall of a building underneath. There was not much of promised "panoramic views' but at that point we were tired and it was getting late and we decided to take this room hoping that with the sun shining and a new day the next morning we would not feel as bad.

However when we got up the next morning and looked outside I thought that a nice relaxing view for me was more important than a private pool and later that day we asked to be moved to a room with a view even if it didn't have a pool.

We moved to our third room without a pool but with a reasonable view. We decided to put the whole saga behind us and started to unwind and enjoy our holiday.

Three days later we were contacted by reception offering us a room upgrade with a pool. We went to see the room and the view was spectacular! Of course we took it, even though it meant having to move for the fourth time but it was absolutely worth it.

Overall we were pleased with the way the hotel handled our situation and that even when we were "officially happy" with our accommodation they still did not forget about us and offered an upgrade on their own initiative.

The Orangerie Restaurant is expensive but good value - go for the Lobster Evening! Forget about the beach bar: conveniently located, but tasteless juices and milkshakes and disappointing club sandwich (small portions and more bread than spread).

Best choice of restaurants: Agios Nikolaos, especially the Migomis piano restaurant on top of the lake, overlooking the two connected ports. Expensive, but well worth it.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Too windy at times
7 Thank tatushka
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2007

We just returned from Crete after spending 8 nights at Blue Palace. The whole experience exceeded our expectations.

*The hotel is actually as beautiful as it appears on the website.
*Staff is very friendly and courteous.
* We arrived at the hotel at 8am and our room was ready and we were able to check in right away.
* We stayed at a sea view bungalow which had a lot of privacy and a great view. The rooms are well appointed and very clean.
* Breakfast buffet has a wide variety and the breads are delicious.
* We ate in the hotel 3 nights only, all at the Blue Door. The setting is great and the food is simple but good.
* The sea is crystal clear, the cleanest water we have been to in the Mediterranean (including various beaches in Turkey). It can get really windy though at times. Also the beach is rocky which we did not mind but sand lovers might not like this beach.
* The evenings are very quiet. There is no live music or dancing.
* Like the previous reader we were disappointed in Elounda and preferred spending our evenings in Agios Nikolaus which is beautiful and livelier. We highly recommend dinner at Barko. We liked it so much we went there twice.

I travel a lot on business and for pleasure and this hotel is one of the best I have stayed in.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank Luxury47
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2007

The hotel has extremely spotty service. We were there for one week and the elevator in our building only worked for one day out of seven. A real disaster which the hotel did nothing to solve. The maid service was unreliable and there was no service around the pools. In addition they charged us an extra 15% on our room price which we were totally not expecting. There seemed to be some disagreement between Starwood and The Blue Palace on how much the room rates were. It has been almost a month since we were there and Starwood and the hotel still cannot figure out how much the room was supposed to cost. The bottom line is that the hotel might be okay in a few years but we would never go back there again. Basically a disaster.

Stayed July 2007
3 Thank RiderLondon
Nottingham, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2007

Having read the mixed reviews for the Blue Palace, my fiance and I were slighly nervous about our 10 days stay at this resort.

We booked a sea view bungalow with private pool and payed 526 euros per night.

However, having now returned I am slightly confused at what the bad reviews were about and have tried to provide my opinions as to some of the points raised in previous negative reviews:

Arrival

Upon arrival, we were warmly welcomed outside the reception by the porters as well as the duty manager. There was no question of having to carry our own bags etc...! Our arrival set the tone in terms of the excellent service we received.

The Rooms

The room (bungalow is not the correct term) was spacious and very well appointed. My only criticism is that the TV does not have BBC World or CNN, but there are two (inferior) English news channels provided.

We asked for a room away from the fenicular and the road and were given room 330, which was excellently located. Avoid the rooms near the fenicular as there is no privacy from prying eyes!

The Private Pools

The private pools are a god send

The outside air temperature was in the mid thirties and the outside pool was cold (but nowhere near freezing as some reviews claim) and was used fully by ourselves during our stay. Who wants a heated pool when the air temperature is so warm?!

True - the private pools are not totally private as you can see in to your neighbours adjacent pool and room. However, we found that our neighbours very rarely used their pools anyway!

One criticism is that some couples sat on the small walls inbewteen their own pool and that of their neighbours. This is, in my opinion, is rude and must have been annoying to thier neighbours.

Maid Service/Room Service

Maid service is twice daily and is flexible around your own schedule. The maids are extremley courteous and very good at their jobs.

The service throughout was excellent, especially room service, which we ordered frequently. A good idea is to have breakfast in your room, with only a 4.5 euro charge.

Restaurants

The restaaurants are good but not completely 5 star. The food is generally good (sometimes excellent but never poor) and sometimes the service was sometimes a liitle bit lacking but never that bad. The restaurants are relatively expensive but what do you expect?

Bar Service

The maximum amount of time we had to wait to be served was approximately 5 mins - and that was a one off. Otherwise we were served as soon as we had sat down.

The Fenicular/Lift

The fenicular takes you from reception down to the beach and takes all of 90 seconds to reach it's destination. Alternatively, it atkes about 4-5 minutes to walk down the hill.

Are people just lazy or too intolerant? 90 seconds doesn't seem a huge amount of time to me!

Clientele

A good mix of couple and familes - no yobs or chavs witnessed.

My only criticism was there were alot of loud, overbearing Americans there who seemed to be permanently complaining about something. We heard one couple complaining that the taxi they had ordered from reception was all of five minutes late in arriving! What are these people like?

I suspect that the resort was nearly fully booked when we were there but the whole place was always seemed relaxingly quiet (the main pools only had three or four people in them at any one time).

The Spa

My fiance used the spa extensively and commented that the staff were very friendly and the prices were equivilant with the UK.

Plaka and Elounda

Plaka is a ten minute walk and there are 4 or 5 local tavernas. They are not as cheap as you would think but they are very friendly and the food is fresh and good quality.

Elounda is a 7 euro taxi ride away and is more lively and much more tourist orientated.

Check Out

Normal check out is at midday, however our flight out was not until midnight. We asked if we could stay in our room until 7 pm but unfortunately our room was booked up, however the reception kindly moved us to another room (albeit without a pool) and told us we could stay in it free of charge until we needed to check out later that evening. How many UK hotels would do the same??

Overall

This is an excellent resort but is probably 4.5 stars as opposed to 5 stars. However, the resort is only 4 years old and will get better. It is quite expensive but the service and quality of the place speaks for itself.

We found the staff to be efficeint and courteous and find that if you are polite and respectful towards people, they return in kind.

We would definitely return.

• Liked — Luxourious surroundings and great service
  • Disliked — A lack of privacy in some rooms
  • Stayed July 2007
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank RobinHood1973
New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2007

My husband and I recently returned from our honeymoon in Greece. The Blue Palace Resort had very different reveiws online, but our travel agent was insistent that it would be a great hotel and the fact that it was a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel swayed us.

We booked a seaview bungalow with a private pool. I read throughout the reviews that the pools were not heated. However, Blue Palace recently opened its new wing and all rooms there have heated pools. My husband and I were amazed by the accomodations. - The bathroom was quite large and the bed was comfortable. We had a large porch with a sofa outdoors, two tanning beds and a HEATED private pool overlooking the sea. It was isolated and we couldnt be happier with our rooms.

We stayed there for four nights and five days. After two days there seemed to be an odd smell coming out of the air conditioner- and we had to shut it off to avoid the smell. We called Guest services several times. We were frustrated that the smell was there, but we werent in the room enough to bother us that much. Finally- Guest services offered to change our rooms. The Front Office Manager, Claire- apologized for the inconvenience and upgraded us to the Island suite in the new wing. She was very accomodating and was very helpful. She escorted us to the room was the most beautiful suite I have seen. The pool was double the size and it had two bathrooms and a beautiful veranda and living room.

We were very pleased with the service at Blue Palace. Below I have outlined some critical things you may need to know about the resort to prepare you for the resort.

We particularly found Joanna and Sandy to be helpful (Guest Serv ice

Here are the critical points.

1. The resort is massive. I was under the premonition that this was a hotspot for honeymooners- that is the case but it is more a family resort. There are many Europeans who holiday here. Many reviews have indicated that the service is bad here but that is not the case. Due to the resorts size, it is hard to receive that personalized attention. you do need to track those

2. The Asian restuarant is supberb along with Isola. We did not get a chance to try the Greek Restaurant

3. Breakfast- It is buffet style and a wide selection. However again there is no personal feel here. It feels like a meal hall...The food is good and they continue to restock

4. Elounda is a 7 Euro cab ride. The town is nice but it wasnt what we expected. We really liked Agios Nickolas and would recommend that area a lot.

5. There are very nice beaches nearby. NO ONE told us this. My advice is to do research before you go so you know where to go in Crete. It is an enormous island and there is plenty you can do there.

6. The spa was very nice. The freshwater pool has a foul odor but the rooms and the staff were professional.

7. The elevator does take time to get to the sea level but it is worth it. Very beautiful there looking across Spinalonga.

• Liked — Rooms, Location
11 Thank ms994
Moscow
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2007

From June, 9 till June, 12th I was staying in hotel Blue Palace on Crete, Greece. It is a remarkable hotel. I really enjoyed my stay there. But in a month I have received the letter from the hotel management. It said that I have used the mini-bar, they have not included it into the account when I was leaving and thus they have taken 6 euros from my credit card.

First, I did not use the mini-bar. Second, the staff of hotel had enough time to check up the room before my departure. I have asked for the account 2 hours before leaving. It seems to me, that if in hotel staff has no time to check up the room, it is the problem of the hotel, but not of the client. Third, I consider is inadmissible to use a guest's credit card without his permission. Having received the letter, I called the hotel two times and asked to connect me with food and beverage manager Sotirios Kremastiotis, but he was not in the office. I left them my phone number and explained the purpose of my call. They promised to call back, but they didn't. I consider the staff's behavior to be absolutely disrespectful to the client.

Of course, 6 euros is a small sum, especially for the hotel where the room costs 400 euros per night. But the sum is not the point. I am totally shocked by the fact that the hotel used MY credit card without my notice.

In my opinion, the staff of hotel Blue Palace has acted incorrectly. Their actions may be regarded as stealing money.
Therefore let me warn you: be careful with your credit cards staying in the hotel Blue Palace on Crete!

Sincerly,
Varvara Paal

• Liked — View from the window
  • Disliked — Using my credit card with out my permission
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank Varvarapaal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elounda
Elounda Garden Suites
Elounda Garden Suites
#1 of 36 in Elounda
Elounda Beach Hotel & Villas
Royal Marmin Bay Boutique & Art Hotel
Domes of Elounda, Autograph Collection
Sensimar Elounda Village Resort & Spa by Aquila
Daios Cove Luxury Resort & Villas

Been to Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete? Share your experiences!