“Fantastic Hotel - great honeymoon destination!”

Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete
Ranked #8 of 35 Hotels in Elounda
Reviewed June 10, 2010

My new wife and I have just returned from an amazing honeymoon at the Blue Palace Resort, and felt compelled to write a review of the hotel, the location and the staff. Firstly, as it was our honeymoon, we got a beautiful room, which was very spacious, tastefully decorated, and had a stunning view out over the bay to Spinalonga Island. We received a complementary bottle of champagne and a beautiful chocolate mouse cake, which really helped to kick off our honeymoon in style. The hotel itself is stunning, as you will see from the numerous photos other people have posted, and has a number of pools and a pretty pebble beach. The staff were fantastic, very attentive, and I would particularly like to thank the cleaners as pretty much every time I left our room in a mess, I came back and it was nice and neat again!!
The only words of warning I would say is that on the beach, it can get quite windy - but what can you do about the weather (actually, we went the spa to enjoy the indoor pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi on less that great days).
Also, it is best to warn you that the food and drinks are very expensive. even the cheapest resturant in the hotel, you are looking at between 10-15 euro a started, 20-35 euro for a main meal etc....so without drinking you can spend close to 100 euros. Which is fine, if you have that sort of money. One recommendation I would make, is to take the 7 euro taxi into elounda (5 min drive), and eat at the Ferrymans resturant. The food there is excellent! and MUCH cheaper than the hotel. Also, instead of paying 6 euro for a bottle of water on the beach, just walk into Plaka - its about 100-200 metres to the left of the hotel, and but a bottle for 0.60 euro!

In summary, the Blue Palace is amazing, just remember to give elounda a go for better value food and drinks

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dr_Stu_82
Theofra, Diector General at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2010

Dear Guests,Thank you very much for taking the time to send your opinion about the Blue Palace. I am particularly happy for the nice experience you had as you were in your HOneymoon and we all know how important this is. We feel particularly proud whe a couple choose the Hotel for the begining of thei new life. We will take into consideration your comments about the prices of the Hotel although I am sure you appreciate the fact that we can not have the same prices as the taverns in Elounda or the small village of Plaka. Allow me to wish you all the best for your wedding and I hope I will have the chance to welcome you again at the Resort.

Reviewed June 6, 2010

we travel a lot, both for private and professional reasons, and we've stayed in several well known hotels. however, the blue palace has a special place in our trip memories. perfect location, warm and attentive service, superb food (is there a more special dinner than an evening at the blue door with Haris, Rena and the rest of the staff?). and... that view.. wherever you are in the resort, the stunning gulf of mirabello and the romantic (and tragic) island of spinalonga are there, for you to admire then... we will never tire to come again and again to our blue palace

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Theofra, Director General at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2010

Dear guests,

Working in the Hotel business can sometimes be a hard thing to do ( long and difficult hours ), but all it takes is a letter like yours and the staff forget everything about the disandvantages. Harris and his staff will be thrilled to know how much you enjoyed the dinner at the Blue Door. we hope that very soon there will be light on the Island of Spinalonga and that our guests will be happy to have the view of the Island even in the evenings.. I really hope to be able to welcome you again at the resort, Yours Sincerely

Reviewed June 4, 2010

We loved the blue palace hotel. Its a very spacious luxury hotel. The rooms were elegant and even with the child bed in our seaview bungalow we felt it was very comfortable.
The service was excellent- all staff were very attentive, everything was immaculate and the views from the seaview rooms was spectacular. There was a number of salt and fresh water pools with a kids pool near the beach. We did not try much of the food in the hotel- there are a number of restaurants in the resort with an excellent reputation. But we felt the food in restaurant near the beach was a little sterile and prices are equivalent to London. We wanted a bit more authentic greek food and therefore traveled into Elounda (need a car or bus) or Plaka (walking distance) and tried many of the local tavernas which were great. We particularly recommend the Ferryman taverna in Elounda and the Platanos in Foumi in the mountains behind plaka. (again you need a car)
We were not sure why a hotel of this class would charge for internet access in some areas but it was free in the library and guests had limited web access in their room. Why not free wifi everywhere?
I suppose the one thing we missed was better organised children's activities. There was a kids club which was looked after by a lovely lady who was great. But the club is tucked away from the beach and did not really attract the children over 5/6. It was great if you wanted your child to be able to play for an hour or 2 out of the sun but I would have wanted to see a bit more pro-activity from the hotel in organising some sports (ie tennis lessons) or other activities for the many children who at the age of 6 and over where a bit too old for the toddler pool but too young to be left to their own devices. And if a hotel of this price and class advertise a kids club it should offer something as many parents would be book the hotel with the belief that the kids will be entertained.
And bearing in mind there are over 250 rooms and it was half term there was a large number of children in the hotel. So hence the 4 out of 5 rating. I understand the hotel is looking into the option of offering a bit more of a kids entertainment programme. Overall despite the number of rooms the hotel never felt very busy and it certainly aims to pamper you. The Spa is lovely and offers a great selection of treatments.
We would definitely go again but recommend that if you want to see a bit of the island and cretan culture you invest in a car! Overall we loved our trip and are planning to go again next year.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family

Dear Guests,

Thank yoiu very much for your e-mail to the Trip Advisor. I particularly want to thank you for yor very constractive comments about the Kid's Club and the kids facilities in General. We will most definately take into consideration. I appreciate the fact that you took a car and visited small villages aroun the area. Fourni and the Platanos location is indeed beautiful. I rewally hope that I will have the chance of seeing you again at the Blue Palace,
Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed June 4, 2010

My partner and I have just returned from the Blue Palace, Elounda. It was a beautiful holiday. We normally go further afield (Dubai and Maldives) and are used to good standards of service. However, we would say the service here was absolutely EXCELLENT - each request was met immediately i.e the remote control for the TV didn't work and we had small problems with the safe and air conditioning (the last 2 were probably user error!). The room service was within 30 minutes and excellent quality. The Spa was amongst the best we have ever been to and the staff there were superb - looking after some jewellery I inadvertantly left in my robe pocket and forgot about for several hours - I thought it would be long gone to the laundry by the time I remembered it was missing. I used the gym and spa facilities everyday - the Hawaiian Lomi-Lomi was a great massage and the Thalasso pool well worth a try!
The room was nice and the views of Spinalonga and the sea stunning - also the beach area, although pebbles, had wooden walkways and was big enough for everybody. We noticed many returning guests when were were there - always a good sign. The food was very good, although perhaps a little pricey, but I think that is more to do with the exchange rate at the moment, as we didn't find the town (Elounda) much cheaper or the local village (Plaka) - both worth a visit while you're there. If you do go to Elounda try 'The Lotus Eaters' restaurant for good food and service.
All in all it was a relaxing, peaceful holiday, and the hotel was staffed by extremely friendly and efficient staff. The worst part was having to leave! We would definitely go again.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Portia59

Dear Guests,

Please accept my most sincere thanks for taking the time to write to Trip Advisor with your comments about your recent visit to the Blue Palace. The staff will be thrilled when I circulate your comments. It is very important to them and the Management that our efforts are appreciated by our guests. You are right that we do have a big number of repeaters, especially taking in consideration the young age of the Resort and we are proud of that. I will be very happy to consider you as a member of our Loyalty Club, which includes guests returning for a second or more visit and which offers many priviledges. I will need your full credentials and email. Greeks are very well kmown for their honesty among other things, so I consider it as normal that your Jewellery was returned to you. Thank you again and best rgards

Theodoros Frangos,Director General

Reviewed June 2, 2010

We stayed there for 4 nights.The resort is amaizing and we got upgraded to a full suite. The scenary is incredible as well as the hotel facilities. Most rooms have their own heated pool!!. Take time- to go to Plaka and Elouda.. both worth visiting.
Highly recommend the place - spacially if you have some SPG points

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear guests,

It is really nice to know that our guests may choose the resort for many reasons ( location being an important one), but they also find our facilities and service as good as the expectations. I will be very happy to hear directly from you in the case you wish to come back to the Blue palace. I will be very happy to meet you.

Best Regards

Reviewed May 16, 2010

The lobby in the middle of the hill is probably the best ever seen. Do not forget to have a drink there at the end of the day. Also do not miss to have a room with a private pool, the greek tavern, water skiing with Giorgos, a walk and especially a dinner at the small fishing village nearby, called Plaka. A must.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple

Dear guest,

it is very nice of you to take the time and send your oppinion about the lue Palace. I am very glad about your comments and I really hope that We will have the chance of welcoming you again at the Blue Palace and thus enjoying another drink on the Terrace ( The furniture at the terrace by the way, is brand new ).

Reviewed March 22, 2010

Sorry for the late review.
This is a beautiful hotel.
Lovely spacious rooms with a fabulous view of spinalonga.
The pool area near reception was wonderfully luxurious and always quiet,felt like it was my own private pool.
Good selection at breakfast (yoghurt and honey was to die for)
Yes food and drink was expensive but the quality of the food was very good.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank ruby1971

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to send your review.. I am sure that you must be very busy and the fact that you found the time, means a lot to us. We fully realize that excellent location and nice surroundings are not enough and I am glad that you liked the food and the service as well. I sincerely hope to have the chance of welcoming you again at the Resort.
Yours Sincerely