We visited 2nd week of October, and it can get windy on Crete this time of year. We were lucky, we spent 5 days there of which 1.5 were windy and about 24 deg. The rest were 28-29 Deg. They shut down end of October so this is really end of Season.
The Hotel is lovely and we had booked a room with a pool (not heated). As SPG Gold members, we were upgrade to a Maisonette with a pool (not heated) and free WiFi throughout the Hotel. (Please note that there are Free WiFi spots but only in a couple of areas otherwise you have to pay)...but as others have stated...its a tad too cold.
As its end of Season, you lose the sun on the deck area in your room around 12pm-1pm depending on where you are in the resort, which means down to the pool areas (there are 2, fresh heated pool - comfortable, by reception, or sea water pool by the beach unheated) or the beach (pebbles). It maybe worth saving the pennies if you are travelling end of season to get a regular room as the rooms with pools are really useable realistically.
End of Season means you are never hunting for a sun lounger either !!
The rooms are clean, views of the bay and Spinalonga spectacular, staff are polite, good selection of restaurants (we ate at the Isola - Italian, and Blue Door - Greek), which was comparable price wise to eating out in Elounda or the nearest village, Plaka). The food was lovely at both places and servings were healthy. Breakfast Buffet was also included, which ranged from Cold Meats, Cheeses, Croisants, Cerals to fry ups.
Plaka is walkable (5-7 minutes) and you can get the boat to Spinalonga from there EUR 8 pp return as well as some lovely restaurants. Elounda is probably 5-7 minute Taxi ride at EUR 7 one way.
Taxi from the Airport (Heraklion) to the Hotel is EUR 97 and EUR 85 from Hotel back to the Airport (1hr each way). Car rental from the Airport works out roughly EUR 26-32 per day (without Fuel) for a Panda/Polo with excess protection at this point in the Season, so it may be worthwhile renting a car as it allows your to wander around the Island.
Would we go back...definitely, one day...but only because there are lots of lovely places to visit in the meantime.
PS. One thing that niggled with us was why no tea/coffee facilities in the room ?
Having said that you can ask them for a kettle and then go buy tea/coffee/milk from Plaka...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to the wild beauty and unrivalled island style of a bohemian luxe resort with emblematic sea views, crystal clear waters, sparkling infinity pools, world class cuisine and bespoke services. All this combined with the resort's beach experience create a unique setting , where time seems to stand still. Blue Palace, a setting of wild grandeur. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity and Odigeo so you can book your Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Blue Palace Hotel Elounda
- Blue Palace Resort And Spa
- Blue Palace Resort & Spa
- Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa Elounda, Crete