“Wonderful September break”

Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete
Ranked #7 of 35 Hotels in Elounda
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I have just returned with my friends from a brilliant week s holiday at The Blue Palace Crete .
We saw the holiday advertised in The Sunday Times magazine earlier this year and decided to give it a try , booking through Amethyst Travel .
From the moment we arrived we were impressed with the courteous, efficient service of the front desk - our bags were whisked away and arrived half an hour later in our room whilst we were given a brief tour of the resort by one of the elegant members of staff . We were in a Superior Sea View bungalow with wonderful views of the island of Spinalonga and surrounding hills . The room was immaculate with welcome fruit and wine and full marks to housekeeping , the maid service was excellent with a constant change of linen and towels and a turn down service , my nightdress sculpted into a n arrangement on my bed !
There are five restaurants at the resort - Blue Door , traditional taverna on the beach , Isola - Italian , Flame - fine dining grill , Asia Blue - Pan Asian and finally Olea where we took our breakfast which was a wonderful buffet . We tried all the restaurants in turn and our favourite was Asia Blue but I have to say that the food in all the restaurants was exceptional and worthy of fine dining accolades . We took our pre dinner and after dinner drinks sitting on comfortable white sofas overlooking the sea in the Arsenali bar . The management should be aware of the high standard of service given to us by the waitresses who served us - two girls stand out , one of whom's Greek name translates as Barbara . These girls really gave us such attention and were so friendly and helpful , something that is often lacking in service these days .
There was a beautiful pool next to the Arsenali but all other pools were situated on levels below nearer the beach . This for us was our main complaint, namely the funicular lift that transported you down and up . For the amount of people who were staying in the hotel this service was inadequate . Often you had to wait sometime for it to arrive and when it did , was often full. It was also very hot and unpleasant and I hate to think what it would have been like in August . On one trip, it stuck and we had to call maintenance. While I appreciate that there is only room for one lift I feel the hotel should review this facility with perhaps another alternative for next season. You could call a buggy but often the staff were busy and therefore there was a wait . I don t think this hotel would be very suitable for disabled people .
The only other complaint I have was the wi -Fi service . This was available in the lobby and Arsenali bar but often the service was spasmodic and came and went . Anywhere else in the resort there was quite an expensive charge and I feel that in a resort of this calibre it should be available everywhere .
Apart from the above two criticisms , our holiday was faultless and on this damp chilly autumn day wonder why I 'm not back there ! Definite recommendation and I hope to return !

Room Tip: I did not get round to using spa but it appeared to be very well run with plenty of treatments . I w...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank miggid
sotikre, General Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your experience at the Blue Palace.
I am glad to hear that you felt warmly welcomed as soon as you arrived at the resort and that you appreciated the amazing view of Spinalonga and surroundings.
It gives me great pleasure to know that you had an enjoyable stay with us and found everything to your satisfaction. We take pride in our service and it is great to hear that you were made feel welcome and well looked after. Our Housekeeping team was happy to hear that you found the rooms to be immaculately clean as were the rest of the staff you mention having taken good care of you. Your really do appreciate it when our dedication is noticed.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for recommending us to others and we too hope to see you again soon.

Sotiris Kremastiotis

Write a ReviewReviews (1,776)

Reviewed September 15, 2013

This was by far one of the best holidays I've had, the staff were incredibly helpful and genuinely friendly. The rooms were very clean of a good size and the bathroom was also perfect. It was the little touches that made it for us such as the welcome fruit and bottle of local liqueur, and the wonderful face creams and wipes given of an evening.

The pools were glorious to swim in , just a little on the cool side, but expected for the time of year. We were staying on a half board basis and found the food and drink costs were quite pricey if you were paying for these separately. There is a whole range of restaurants in Plaka, just a short 10 min walk if you turn left when leaving the site. It doesn't look that much in the distance, but it is actually very pretty with a large variety of places to eat. All are very reasonably priced with some gorgeous food.

The views from the hotel are just beautiful and it's definitely worth hiring a car and visiting Knossos Palace. One of the biggest archaeological sites I have come across and one you can actually walk all the way round without any barriers. Perfect holiday!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

I thank you for choosing to stay at the Blue Palace and for such a positive feedback.
I am glad to hear that the whole team has provided you with a genuine welcoming and attentive service. We pride ourselves on providing our guests with only the best service so it is great we met your expectations. I have passed on your kind words to our great team and I look forward to having you back with us for another perfect holiday.

Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

Blue palace is wonderful for people who are looking for some quiet time
The hotel is far from shopping centers (3 hrs from Hania and 1hr from Heraklion ).
There's a small center 3 min drive by taxi

GREAT service! Nicest people! Amazing rooms! Good simple quiet time - no parties and stuff like that.

• Stayed: September 2013
sotikre, General Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review on our hotel.
It was a pleasure to read that your recent stay with us was such a delight and you loved all aspects of the hotel from the quiet location, your room to the service you received.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Blue Palace again soon.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

I stayed at the Blue Palace with 3 girlfriends from 5th-12th September in a superior bungalow with sea view. It was perfect-the staff were delightful and resolved any queries quickly, the room was beautiful with a very up to date bathroom with drench shower and roll top bath. The rooms were serviced to a very high standard and although they were away from the main reception there was no problem asking for a golf buggy to whizz us around the resort if we didn't want to walk or take the funicular.
We stayed on a half board basis and we were delighted to be told on our arrival that we could eat in any of the five restaurants at no extra cost apart from paying for our drinks. We had breakfast in the Olea restaurant, buffet style and then tried each of the other 4 in the evenings. The Isola is Italian, The Flame serving steak and meat dishes with a local providence, The Blue Door for greek taverna style food and, our favourite, Asia Blue serving Chinese, Thai, Japanese and Polynesian dishes. All excellent. After dinner the Arsenali bar was great for drinks and live music.
The facilities at the hotel are also very good, a freshwater pool on upper area and heated saltwater by the beach. Plenty of sunbeds when we stayed and no shortage of towels, good bar service on the beach. We didn't use the spa but the treatments on offer looked great and the spa itself is beautiful with an indoor pool, sauna and steam rooms which we could use at no extra charge.
Our only gripe was that the funicular which takes you up and down to the beach and the various levels of the hotel. The hotel is built on a steep slope so walking up and down, particulariliy in the heat is not much fun and if you were elderly or unsteady on your feet the steps down to some levels would be a problem. As I mentioned the golf buggies were available but necessitated calling reception and on more than one occasion the funicular was either to full to get into, stopped at the floor but did not open the doors or closed them before you could get in leaving some of the party stranded until it lumbered back up. I would imagine in the height of the season with the hotel at full capacity it must be a real problem. Not sure what can be done about it but the hotel need to put their thinking caps on.
That however was the only small niggle in what was a delightful week and we would all love to go back

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
sotikre, General Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to welcome you as a guest at the Blue Palace and thank you for sharing your experience with us.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your accommodations as well as our excellent staff. It is always wonderful to receive such positive feedback and it motivates us to work even harder when our high level of service is acknowledged. I have made notes of your comments about the funicular and I was sorry to know it was an inconvenience.
We would also be happy to welcome you back to our property on any future travels to Crete.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

From the staff meeting us at the front door, to Vasiliki the receptionist arranging a dentist for me to see, to the unbelievable views, to the beautiful scenery, to the amazing room, to the incredible breakfast, to the helpful staff, I could go on and on, this hotel was perfect.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chris T

Dear Guest,

We were delighted to have welcomed you to the Blue Palace and thank you for such a glowing review of your experience with us.
I am very pleased that you enjoyed such an amazing time and felt that our quality of product was to a high standard, which was equally matched by the genuine friendly manner of service, that each of our team endeavor to deliver on a daily basis.
We look forward to the next time we will have the opportunity to take care of you and make your stay even more memorable.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

We have just spent two weeks at the Blue Palace and absolutely loved it. We arrived by taxi and our luggage was taken from us by a young man immediately we stepped out of the car. We were then met by a gentleman in a suit (didn't catch his name) who came out from behind the desk to meet us. He took us to the side of reception and quickly checked us in and told us to wait and someone would take us to our room, when we had waited a few minutes and everyone was busy he took us himself. He took us by buggy to our room and showed us how everything worked and when he pulled back the curtains and showed us the view we were amazed. We were right opposite Spinalonga and the view of the sea and the surrounding mountains was just stunning. Our luggage arrived almost immediately.

The room was light and fresh and spotlessly clean. There was plenty of wardrobe space and hangers. The bathroom was great with drawers and shelves for your things and a walk in shower with both a fixed shower head and also a flexible one at waist height which was great if you didn't want to get your hair wet. There was also a bath with another shower over it. Part of the mirror opened up into the bedroom so that you could even view Spinalonga from the bathroom if you wished. I had requested a powerful hair dryer and it was there in the drawer on arrival. There were also lovely Aptivita toiletries which were replaced regularly. We had a nice balcony with two chairs and a table and it was completely private with full height stone walls on both sides. We were more than happy with our room. The room was kept spotlessly clean throughout our stay with twice a day housekeeping service.

We were half board and loved the restaurants. Breakfast was great with everything you could want. We dined at all of the other restaurants and they all had their own charm and ambience. The Blue Door serves traditional Greek food and is set on the cliff overlooking the sea, The Flame is mainly steak and fish, Asia Blue serves a variety of Asian foold and Isola serves Italian food. The quality of the food was exceptional and the staff were very professional and helpful in all restaurants. My husband was spoilt for choice of food but as a vegetarian I sometimes struggled a bit. Three of the restaurants don't have a single vegetarian main course on the menus even though they list fish as vegetarian! The Italian restaurant did have a veggie main course but at the others I juggled with starters, side dishes and salads to make up my meal. Having said that I certainly didn't go hungry as everything I had was great and the desserts were superb and portions were very generous. I liked the fact that copies of the menus were in your room so that you could browse before going to dinner.

We loved the fact that you didn't have to queue for beach/pool towels and there was no rush to get a sun bed. We found we could get a sun bed at any time of day without a problem.

We found the Blue Palace to be a very relaxing place and found every single member of staff that we encountered to be professional and helpful. We also liked the fact that you were left to do just as you wish and the staff were ready to help but did not intrude at all unless you wanted them to this makes a refreshing change from some other five star hotels we have been too.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a relaxing holiday with good quality accommodation and food and very professional staff.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TwigsOxford

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your glowing review of your stay at the Blue Palace.
I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay at our resort and that our team members were able to make your time with us that bit more memorable. Our setting, excellent views and our spacious and comfortable guest rooms are elements of our hotel that we are extremely proud of and it is always such a pleasure to read our guests’ positive comments regarding these.
I have happily shared your wonderful comments with our team who were equally delighted to receive them, as they work hard to ensure that the time our guests choose to spend with us is comfortable and relaxing and I am glad that they did just that for you.
Thank you for recommending us to others and I really do hope that we get the chance to meet your expectations once again in the near future.

general Manager

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We stayed at the Blue Palace for a week mid-August. I travelled with my husband and kids aged 8 and 5.

The family room we had was outstanding. Two bedrooms in a 'town house' split-level configuration, with private plunge pool. There was a great outside space to have meals on room service and just general get a respite from the heat of the midday sun.

We ate at the Blue Door and Olea, which were both good. However we headed out most nights to Elounda and the restaurants on the waterfront there. Highly recommended are The Ferryman and Lotus Eaters. We went back more than once. We also walked down to Plaka for lunch at The Carob Tree. Super-relaxed roadside courtyard area and fab tapas and lunch. Room Service in the hotel was extremely efficient.

The pools down on the beach were good fun for the kids and the wind was a wonderful relief as it was pretty hot. Drink service on the beach good. I thought there could have been more of a kiddies area down there though as the swings and seesaw were a little dated.

We took the speedboat over to Spinalonga, which was great and the kids loved it. A good fun hour walking around there, and good to have your own boat to come and go.

We also did the Happy Train from Elounda, but this was not quite as groovy as it had been billed.

On the down side I thought that there could have been more activities geared to 8 year olds. The kids club was really for younger kids. They say they can do stuff for all ages depending on who turns up, but have you ever tried to get an 8 year old boy into a room of 4 year old girls painting?? It would have been good to have a more structured activities programme.

Everyone on here seems to moan about the funicular, but it really didn't bother us. In retrospect they probably should have put 2 in when then built the place, but really it's not a deal breaker!

All in all we had a super family holiday.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank JosieL67

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback, following your recent visit.
Along with the rest of the team, I was delighted to receive such positive comments about your experience here with us. I am especially pleased that you and your family enjoyed the comfort of your room and found the Room Service to be so efficient.
I appreciate your comments regarding the Kids Club which will be addressed for future improvement.
I would like to thank you for choosing the Blue Palace for your holidays and I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to our resort.

General Manger

Also consider these accommodations in or near Elounda
Royal Marmin Bay Boutique & Art Hotel
Elounda Garden Suites
Elounda Garden Suites
#1 of 35 in Elounda
Elounda Mare Relais & Chateaux hotel
Domes of Elounda, Autograph Collection
Tui Sensimar Elounda Village Resort & Spa by Aquila
St. Nicolas Bay Resort Hotel & Villas

Been to Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete? Share your experiences!