“Scenic location, nice amenities, need to work on a few details”

Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete
Ranked #7 of 35 Hotels in Elounda
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I was traveling with my husband and two teenage children. We really enjoyed our 3 night stay at The Blue Palace. The location and views are spectacular, beach and pools are beautiful and well maintained. Overall the hotel and grounds are beautiful as you would expect for a 5 star luxury resort, our room was large with a balcony and great view of the sea, bathrooms are modern and spacious, everything was clean.
The buffet breakfast in the morning was excellent, every food choice you can imagine was available.

The critiques are related to expectations for a 5 star property (charging 5 star prices): very poor internet service, you could only get free wireless in one particular part of the lobby and even then it was hit or miss; service in the restaurants (not the bar - they were great) was strangely blasé and indifferent; the food in general was very expensive for average and in some cases bland/boring food; pillows you are supposed to sleep on are like the miniature ones you get on a flight. We were there during peak season in early August, and discovered that they close 3 of the 5 restaurants every night, so this means a lot of guests, like us, were not able to eat at the hotel and have to walk to the fishing village or take a cab to another restaurant.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Promontory
sotikre, General Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your stay with us.
Whilst I was pleased that certain parts of your stay were enjoyable, particularly your room, our breakfast buffet and indeed amazing location of the resort, I was disappointed to read about your experience in our restaurants. I sincerely apologize if you felt that our team members were unfriendly and not customer focused as I am certain that this was not their intention and we usually do receive very positive feedback regarding their services. Nevertheless I have taken your comments seriously as they will help us improve in future encounters with our guests.
I look forward to having you back with us in the near future.

Sotiris Kremastiotis

Write a ReviewReviews (1,769)

Reviewed August 16, 2013

Location of the hotel is excellent - 5 min drive from the busy centre in a beautiful bay. Our room was quite big, with a terrace and amazing view. We ate only breakfast which was very good. The only disappointing thing was gym. Machines are very old and air conditioning system is not good either.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Elena S
sotikre, General Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review following your visit to the Blue Palace and thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent visit to Crete. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us, enjoyed the location and service. I appreciate your comments regarding the Spa gym which I have taken on board for future review.
It was a pleasure to have you with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Sotiris kremastiotis

Reviewed August 14, 2013

The most relaxing holiday I've ever had. We booked a mediterranean suite for 15 days and the room facilities were superb especially the wonderful infinity pool with amazing views looking Spinalonga - felt like a mini villa. Service standards are superb; friendly and cheerful cleaning staff who were incredibly attentive to every detail, very helpful reception service and the staff in all the restaurants are delightful. Nothing was too much trouble. This is my second visit and I will definitely return.

Room Tip: Suites 400+ to 500+ get sunshine in the morning and only the pool has sunshine in the afternoon.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
sotikre, General Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting this review of your stay. As returning guest of the Blue palace, it is a pleasure to read your thoughts about our hotel. Your feedback is very gratefully received, especially with regards to the service standards you experienced. The team are exceptionally friendly and go out of their way to ensure every guest has a memorable stay.
I look forward to your next visit for another unforgettable experience.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Choosing Elounda for our summer vacation was an easy choice, but deciding on the resort we would be booking wasn’t. There is a selection of 3-4 hotels that really look stunning. I must say that I can’t imagine them being more beautiful, relaxing, and luxurious than BLUE PALACE! We booked a room with a private pool which was perfect in every sense. The room was a good size and the pool (although not very big) was big enough to enjoy a splash! The hotel’s customer service, spa and restaurants were excellent… This is the kind of place you go to relax, move around as little as possible and enjoy picture perfect view of Spinalonga!!! Strongly recommended!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much indeed for sharing your thoughts on your recent stay with us.
How delightful to read that Blue Palace played a major part in making your visit to Elounda amazing. It was our great pleasure to look after you on your recent visit to our resort and thank you for your very positive review which we greatly appreciate.
It is very reassuring to receive such nice words and it motivates us to work even harder to maintain our high standards and level of service provided to our guests.
I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on a future visit and thank you for recommending us to others.

Sotiris kremastiotis

Reviewed August 13, 2013

We have just had a 10 day stay at the Blue Palace. Lots of good things to say about the views and general hotel amenities but unfortunately marred by the inconsistent customer service. General feeling of arrogance from the management and a real lack of experience on how to engage with customers. Many of the local staff in the restaurants were lovely and made you feel welcome which unfortunately was not how we were made to feel on arrival. Agree with other comments on trying to find staff in the bar or at the beach, very sporadic! Certainly not 5 star service or even close.

Room Tip: Hotel made no real effort for families to be close to each other with the rooms. Didn't see thi...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Cass3Berkshire
sotikre, General Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to communicate to us why our services did not meet your expectations. As we have every desire to address the needs of our guests we welcome any kind of constructive criticism that will help us improve at what we do.
Kindly accept my sincere apologies for the areas we have fallen short of your expectations and rest assured that your remarks have been taken under serious consideration for future review.
I truly hope that this unfortunate experience will not deter you from visiting us again in the future.

Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the blue palace for. 4 nights on my honeymoon. The room was beautiful and had a fantastic view. There were always chairs at the pool and beach area so we didn't rush down. The gym was great and we exercised every day. We also took advantage of the spa which was nice as well. Because we were on our honeymoon we received several complimentary items from the hotel and they even set us a bath with candles and rose petals.

One of the biggest issues for me was the food. We only ate at isola because it was right by the beach and I can honestly say everything was just mediocre. Also the transportation from reception to and from the beach was slow, hot and always packed. We often walked which was hard because its not a direct path. Also, we paid 15 euros for Internet and could barely connect. It's pretty frustrating to pay for something you don't get. All in all we had a great time. We ate in plaka most of the time which is absolutely delicious.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank 514amanda
sotikre, General Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving your lovely feedback following your stay with us at the Blue Palace.
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the location and its breathtaking views as well as the special touches we provided for your honeymoon. Whilst I was pleased to know that the room was to your liking and you enjoyed the Spa and gym too, I would like to apologize for not fulfilling all your expectations with regard to food during your time with us. Thank you for helping us improve and I have made note of your comments for future review.
I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Blue Palace on a future visit.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

Having had our villa canceled the day before we were arriving in Crete, 2 families making up 12 adults ended up at Blue Palace as a last minute substitution. Our stay was truly wonderful and I would definitely recommend staying here to anyone who is looking for accommodation in this price range. It is quite pricey, but it truly is 5 star. The attention to detail is great, from staff on the beach remembering your room number when you order a drink (after the first day) to complimentary camomile face wipes and weather reminders for the next day on your pillow at night.
Some highlights:
Spacious and comfortable rooms, clean with beautiful views (we had a see view room)
Private beach with free towels, chairs, umbrellas and available water sports
Beautiful views over Spinalonga and Elounda Bay
Helpful staff
Great breakfasts - biggest selection I have ever seen
2 pools, one at the beach and one at the hotel
Great location - Elounda is beautiful with lovely restaurants, close to Agios Nikolaos if you want a bit of a night life and lovely views.
Would definitely recommend!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

I am absolutely delighted that although we were not your first choice destination when arriving to Crete we managed to efficiently accommodate you and offer you an experience that lived up to your expectations.
Along with the rest of our team, I was delighted to receive such positive feedback about your time here with us. It is our pleasure to ensure our guests thoroughly enjoy their stay, and I am very pleased that we were able to assist in creating an unforgettable stay for you.
I hope we have earned your repeat visit in your future travels to Crete and I thank you for recommending us to other travelers.